Renault Megane Red Bull Edition

Colin

Hi,

Recently purchased a 2013 Renault Megane Red Bull Edition. If my research is correct it is the same as the 2013 Megane 265 Trophy 8.08 except for the paint, decals and floor mats.

I absolutely love driving it having mosttly owned larger cars for many years. 

The car has about 80,000 kms and has been serviced by a Renault dealer every 10,000 kms. The car has been well looked after mechanically, interior and exterior.

I'm considering taking to the track and seeing how I go.

Is there any upgrades to either the engine, breaks or suspension that the car would benefit from?

What are the Steev rims like? Is there a better option?

Should I consider upgrading the breaks to ceramic?

One last thing, is ceramic coating worthwhile?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Col

1510840546_MeganeRedBull.PNG.6270429c685dc50ad1cf87e18ee6a36d.PNG

• Like 5

Hey welcome the Megane life you are going to love it.

For engine mods it just depends how much money you want to spend. I don't want to do too much to the engine just yet so I just settled with a chip tune. 

Steevs the best for handling, but cost more for tyres and have a rougher ride when compared to the factory 18". Although the serious guys get lighter forged wheels with the same specs as the Steevs.

As for brakes I'd talk to Ben at Brakes Direct he has a RS265 and can recommend which setup would suit you (Just message through the live chat on the website)

I'd only do a ceramic coat if the paint already in really great condition, it's just so expensive. But there are a few DIY solutions which are reportedly pretty good.

Edited by Darkrym

11 hours ago, Colin said:

Hi,

Recently purchased a 2013 Renault Megane Red Bull Edition. If my research is correct it is the same as the 2013 Megane 265 Trophy 8.08 except for the paint, decals and floor mats.

The car has about 80,000 kms and has been serviced by a Renault dealer every 10,000 kms. The car has been well looked after mechanically, interior and exterior.

Is there any upgrades to either the engine, breaks or suspension that the car would benefit from?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Col

1510840546_MeganeRedBull.PNG.6270429c685dc50ad1cf87e18ee6a36d.PNG

All you need for the track is some decent brake pads, competition tyres and an advanced driving course !!! Brake pads commonly used by forum memebres are Ferrodo DS performance, Ferrodo DS 2500 - and tyres are Yokohama AD08R (new AD09 out now) Bridgestone RE71RS and Hankook RS4. All these tyres are designed as road/track tyres so suitable for everyday use (may wear out more quickly though).

No engine mods, no ceramic rotors, no suspension changes - keep it simple while you are learning to drive the car.

Edited by slick
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chuckovski said:

Great choice!

It's the best prefacelift model IMHO, because it has the much better head unit, but all the best bits that were lost in the facelift. 

Steeves are heavy but otherwise fine if you're not driving on very rough roads.

What are "all the best bits that were lost in the facelift"? Just interested as I have the facelifted model. 

Cheers

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blueblood1995 said:

What are "all the best bits that were lost in the facelift"? Just interested as I have the facelifted model. 

Cheers

The bi Xenons directional headlights were dropped from the facelift. Plus the ECU snorkel however I believe the RB8 is already missing that. 

2 hours ago, slick said:

All you need for the track is some decent brake pads, competition tyres and an advanced driving course !!! Brake pads commonly used by forum memebres are Ferrodo DS performance, Ferrodo DS 2500 - and tyres are Yokohama AD08R (new AD09 out now) Bridgestone RE71RS and Hankook RS4. All these tyres are designed as road/track tyres so suitable for everyday use (may wear out more quickly though).

No engine mods, no ceramic rotors, no suspension changes - keep it simple while you are learning to drive the car.

Echoing slicks advice. They are well sorted cars to start with so for a beginner the most important thing will be getting some seat time and an instructor if possible.

Just now, Colin said:

Hey guys,

thank you very much for the great advice.

I will definitely need some lessons. Any suggestions where in Perth, WA?

regards,

Col

Not sure who is running courses in Perth - perhaps do a web search.

23 hours ago, Colin said:

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Col

Welcome to the club Col! Nice spec you picked.

Like others have said, I'd recommend getting to know the car before going down the upgrade path. The suspension is very good in factory form and the power is certainly not lacking. A basic tune could be added later but it's not crucial at this stage. Good brake pads and tyres are probably the most crucial if heading to the track. I'm running Forza FP3 pads front and rear from Brakes Direct and am very happy with them. Very well priced compared to other bigger brands too.

Re paint protection - I'd suggest going a DIY kit like Gyeon CanCoat which is very easy to apply, gives good protection and shine and will last 12-18 months depending on usage. You could step up to one of the higher end Gyeon coatings that lasts 2-3 years but they're a bit harder to apply and are a little more expensive. I've had good success on multiple cars with CanCoat and it's only $75-95 and will do about 8 cars. See here: https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/gyeon-q2-cancoat-prep-kit.html

20 hours ago, blueblood1995 said:

Cheers

Hmmmm now I think about it, probably just the headlights - some of the prefacelift models had active bixenons. That's all I can think of at the moment. 

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I have an Apple IPhone 12. 

I purchased the Meg Red Bull through a dealership and the sales person didn't know a lot about the car. I took it for a test drive and couldn't believe how amazing it went.

I went home did some research and went back the next day, drove it again and then bought it .

I'm not very mechanically minded, however I had a closer look at the engine bay and after doing a Google search I think there is a 'Forge' BOV? I'm not sure if there is any other after market additions?

If a BOV is fitted what other mods would normally go with it?

I'm going to take it a mechanic who owns Euro WA and has previously worked at a Renault Dealership as a mechanic to go over the car, change the oil and check it to make sure everything is ok.

Regards,

Colin

image.thumb.png.775faf7637a8016d26b0b9adcb2b3d67.png

11 hours ago, Colin said:

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I have an Apple IPhone 12. 

I purchased the Meg Red Bull through a dealership and the sales person didn't know a lot about the car. I took it for a test drive and couldn't believe how amazing it went.

I went home did some research and went back the next day, drove it again and then bought it .

I'm not very mechanically minded, however I had a closer look at the engine bay and after doing a Google search I think there is a 'Forge' BOV? I'm not sure if there is any other after market additions?

If a BOV is fitted what other mods would normally go with it?

I'm going to take it a mechanic who owns Euro WA and has previously worked at a Renault Dealership as a mechanic to go over the car, change the oil and check it to make sure everything is ok.

Regards,

Colin

image.thumb.png.775faf7637a8016d26b0b9adcb2b3d67.png

If there is a blow off valve fitted my estimation is they probably had a tune to go along with it.

Can you take a photo of the whole engine bay?

To me it looks like you have a ktec air in take installed as well but that’s behind the battery and I can’t tell without seeing more.

You might also have a short shift installed but that’s hard to tell as it sits under the battery.

Take the cover off the battery and see if you can see a red piece of metal underneath. If you can chances are it’s got a short shift. If silver probably stock.

• 2 months later...