Clio Rs 200 2014 Timing belt question

Stiggy

Hi all, 

I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 Clio rs 200 automatic with ~50kkms, however I believe the timing belt (and water pump) have not been changed since new.

Should I still go ahead with the purchase? If so, I'm assuming that I should get these two items done right after purchasing the vehicle. 

Any advice on the matter is much appreciated. 

18 minutes ago, Stiggy said:

Hi all, 

I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 Clio rs 200 automatic with ~50kkms, however I believe the timing belt (and water pump) have not been changed since new.

Should I still go ahead with the purchase? If so, I'm assuming that I should get these two items done right after purchasing the vehicle. 

Check the handbook for the recommended change interval - I know with my 182 it is 100K kms. I would be surprised if it needed to be changed any earlier.

26 minutes ago, Stiggy said:

Hi all, 

It's got a timing chain, so no need. It does however have the accessory belt which usually needs to be done every 4 years or so IIRC.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

It's got a timing chain, so no need. It does however have the accessory belt which usually needs to be done every 4 years or so IIRC.

Shows what I know about RS200s!!! Thanks chuckovski for putting us right.

• Like 2

Oh, and it's not an Auto, only reason I point this out I'd if you drive it like an auto you will shorten the lifespan of the clutch pack significantly.

Biggest No No is to creep up to traffic lights on hills like every other Muppet does when they select "D" for dream and forget they are actually doing something that requires a vague level of attention.

😝

No it's a dual clutch manual with automated clutch. So as the driver you don't actuate the clutch a computer and solenoids do.

It's an important distinction, with all of these types of gearboxes, dct, edc, pdk, SMG , whatever they are called, can be operated like an automatic trans but the mechanicals are a traditional style manual box.

Rather than a torque converter they use clutches. A tourque converter is designed to "slip" relying on hydraulic friction for locking the engine and transmission together. An automated manual box, like the EDC in the Renault uses clutch plates operating on mechanical friction to lock engine and gearbox, so slip is there but like a manual transmission is not designed to slip more than necessary to get the car moving and for short shift periods.

Driving one of these like you would a traditional torque converter auto will shorten the life span of the clutch(es). One of the key mistakes people make is creep slowly up hill approaching traffic lights which generates slip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiggy said:

Sorry I'm confused - is the rs 200 not an automatic? 

Its a dual clutch gearbox. It looks like an auto but operates very differently

1 hour ago, Stiggy said:

Thanks for your replies - I'm coming from a manual anyway (sold my fn2 recently) so shouldn't be a problem. 

As Matt205 said...do not allow it to creep slowly in traffic, especially going uphill, just stop and move and stop when you need to, ignoring the beeping from behind from an impatient so and so.  😜.

Also  2 other no no's.  When stopped on a hill hold the car with the brake rather than the engine and when going slow especially around a roundabout initially feather the throttle rather than accelerating hard otherwise you may momentarily lose all gears. This is not a fault, just a quirk of the DCT transmission.

If you treat it like a manual car with an automatic option you will be fine. 😉.

Edited by chris043

The other distinction is that the EDC box in the Clio is a dry clutch dual clutch transmission and these are even more susceptible to wear than their wet clutch counterparts because the clutch plates get much hotter much faster while “slipping” and the traffic crawl makes this a killer.

The Meg IV RS are a wet clutch design so better (arguably) for crawling in traffic like an “auto” with a torque converter 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Deet said:

Mine is on 135k 

The Juke doesnt have a specific interval for the aux belt. You replace it when it looks bad

I think the Clio handbook says 60,000km. Mine hasn't been done in 100,000km and last mechanical check said it looks fine but probably get it changed in the next service or two just for peace of mind.