Hello from Newy

ShiftProtocol

Hi everyone, I met two of your members at SMSP earlier this month and thought it was about time I joined your forum.

I believe that there's always something to learn, and what better place to do it than with people who've probably solved my problems already! 😉

I'm from Newcastle and own a Megane RS275 Cup Premium which is still straight out of the box (no mods...yet). I love it!! I need to get some new tyres so I'll be reading some threads shortly!  I've done a few track days on stock Bridgestones but keen to get onto semi-slicks. And I'm keen to know what the mid-res delete achieves. Any thread suggestions would be appreciated.

I love car and aviation photography, and started an Insta page a little while ago to share some of my pics (same handle as here 'shiftprotocol' if you're interested in a look). 

I look forward to meets and drives and motorkhanas once they're back up and running. If anyone in the Newcastle & Central Coast area has suggestions for good car clubs, I'm all ears. I'm in the ARDC which is great for SMSP, but keen for some more local events.

Oh, and Challenge Bathurst is on the cards one year!! Some of your vids have been very inspiring!

IMG_20200612_184307_337.jpg

• Like 7

Nice car mate, welcome.

Res delete is $200 of joy. Lots of pops and crackles to keep you amused! 

Best road based tyres I’ve used are Michelin PS4S. You can get away with 245 19s (usually slightly cheaper) instead of 235s, and they’re bloody amazing. Track tyres - no idea... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, speedfiend41 said:

Nice car mate, welcome.

Best road based tyres I’ve used are Michelin PS4S. You can get away with 245 19s (usually slightly cheaper) instead of 235s, and they’re bloody amazing. Track tyres - no idea... 🤣

Agree on both points!

• Like 1

Welcome !!! 

res delete 

ADO8R for road / track 

we use them at lemons 🍋 and got 540 laps flat out on the clio and they grip grip grip and have plenty more life . Not a fan of Japanese tyres generally but these are excellent 

• Thanks 1

On 27/12/2020 at 9:35 AM, speedfiend41 said:

Nice car mate, welcome.

Thanks, and cheers for the advice. I didn't know about the 245 trick so I'll have to check it out! 

On 27/12/2020 at 7:41 PM, Matt205 said:

Welcome! Does the Cup Premium have the Akra exhaust?

Thanks .. and heck yeah it does. I love the exhaust!

On 27/12/2020 at 7:45 PM, chuckovski said:

AFAIK yes as long as it's the 275

👍

On 27/12/2020 at 7:48 PM, Matt205 said:

Then Res delete is a bit more tricky as 'titanium'. I find the Akra in mine offers the right amount of pops/bangs for me.

Agreed, when I put it in Sport or Race mode, it makes enough noise for me, especially on track ... although it seems to know when I'm going under a bridge or a tunnel and want a pop, it doesn't always deliver 😅

On 27/12/2020 at 3:17 PM, rob 240 said:

Welcome !!! 

res delete 

ADO8R for road / track 

we use them at lemons 🍋 and got 540 laps flat out on the clio and they grip grip grip and have plenty more life . Not a fan of Japanese tyres generally but these are excellent 

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. The Yokohama's are on the short list! 🙏

Where/what is Lemons??

On 27/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, slick said:

Welcome to the forum.

Best track/road tyres are Yokohama AD08R, Bridgestone RE71R and Hankook RS3/4.  Semi-slicks are a little focused for every day use.

Thanks and thanks! I think I've priced RE71R in the past and they were almost as much as Cup 2??  I've run two road performance Bridgestone, but haven't been impressed by either RE050 or the new S007A particularly on track. Your other two recommendations are on the short list 🙏 It's time for some serious tyres!! 🤙

2 hours ago, ShiftProtocol said:

Thanks and thanks! I think I've priced RE71R in the past and they were almost as much as Cup 2??  I've run two road performance Bridgestone, but haven't been impressed by either RE050 or the new S007A particularly on track. Your other two recommendations are on the short list 🙏 It's time for some serious tyres!! 🤙

The RE71R are in another league compared to RE050 and S007A - RE71R are an improvement on AD08R's performance on the track (based on experience and testing at Sandown in a BMW M2). They may be relatively 'expensive' but (IMHO) worth every cent if you want the quickest tyre on the track . They make a very good road tyres too.

Edited by slick
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 31/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, PJFRS250 said:

Welcome fellow Novocastrian!

I use the good ole Nitto NT05 and love them. Great road/track tyre.

Thanks ... how do you find the NT05 in the wet? I use my RS as a daily, and often ferry the kids around, so I need tyres that are manageable in the rain