New member and new to Renault

NewyMitch

Hi all,

I've joined the forum to hopefully get some more information on what I want as my next car. I haven't had a fun car for years so very keen to get into a Megane 250/265. These models appear to have fairly universal praise in regards to the handling.

I'm based in Newcastle and have had some interesting cars in the past. The most recent was an Austin Healy Sprite which was great fun but the eternal chasing of oil leeks wore me down.

Cheers,

Mitch

• Like 1

Well, they're awesome cars. Nothing much else to say, and if you're after fun, that's their middle name (after Renault Renault Sport Megane III RS 265 and a few other labels).

Post up what you're looking at and we can comment. The model nomenclature is confusing to say the least and often they're misadvertised.

Thanks.

It's good to know there's no real issues I need to watch out for.

Something like this is what I'm after. Getting down to Sydney from Newcastle at the moment is quite difficult though.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-Renault-Megane-RS-250-Cup-Manual/SSE-AD-6564505

The only locally listed cars at the moment are out of my price range.

My main criteria is just the cup chassis and the LSD. I find it's hard to get my head around which versions here didn't get the LSD. From what I understand all 250's have it standard.

Thanks.
Something like this is what I'm after. Getting down to Sydney from Newcastle at the moment is quite difficult though.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-Renault-Megane-RS-250-Cup-Manual/SSE-AD-6564505
My main criteria is just the cup chassis and the LSD. I find it's hard to get my head around which versions here didn't get the LSD. From what I understand all 250's have it standard.
If that's all you're after, then just don't get the sports limited edition. Then you'll get your cup and LSD.

Thanks.
That car will have what you want. And, that Amazing colour that was not repeated in subsequent iterations.

17 minutes ago, chuckovski said:
33 minutes ago, NewyMitch said:
Thanks.

That car will have what you want. And, that Amazing colour that was not repeated in subsequent iterations.

Thanks.

I haven't seen many come up in blue which I think looks great.

Thanks.
I haven't seen many come up in blue which I think looks great.
Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Kellyville, but if you see anything in the Illawarra you want me to check out, let me know.

There is a good possibility that the owner could take their car to Renotech in Hornsby or less likely Paul at AP Automotive for a pre purchase inspection. I wouldn't buy one without it how. I did twice with no issues in the past, one Megane RS, one Clio RS.

47 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Kellyville, but if you see anything in the Illawarra you want me to check out, let me know.

There is a good possibility that the owner could take their car to Renotech in Hornsby or less likely Paul at AP Automotive for a pre purchase inspection. I wouldn't buy one without it how. I did twice with no issues in the past, one Megane RS, one Clio RS.

Thanks for the offer.

That's a good shout about Reno Tech doing a pre purchase inspection. I'll give them a call this week to see how they go about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has done close to 200k but price reflects that.

That 8:08 on Gumtree was advertised in NSW two weeks ago, now in QLD by the same seller. i exchanged a few messages and replies screamed dodgy, stay away. I made an offer and heard nothing back.

Buyer beware.

1 minute ago, SLUGGO33X said:

Has done close to 200k but price reflects that.

That 8:08 on Gumtree was advertised in NSW two weeks ago, now in QLD by the same seller. i exchanged a few messages and replies screamed dodgy, stay away. I made an offer and heard nothing back.

Buyer beware.

That car is now sold wonder who bought it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, NewyMitch said:

I'm going to check this 265 out this afternoon. If the service history checks out does it look like a decent price?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-Renault-Megane-RS-265-Trophy+-Manual/SSE-AD-6693464

Not a fan of the black accents that have been added but they’re likely just wrap. Personally I’d go for a car that has Recaro seats. Then again this example has a sunroof so I guess it depends on what options you prefer.

Make sure to do a $2 govt ppsr on the vin to see that it’s not previously written off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The grey one is a much lower spec though.

Unfortunately the service history was a bit patchy on the trophy+ and I couldn't figure out from the service records when the last timing belt change was done if ever.

Next on my list to check out is this red 250 cup. I will just have to figure out when I can get down to Sydney but the mention of a Reno Tech service history is promising.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kellyville/cars-vans-utes/2012-renault-megane-rs250-cup/1250238861?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

48 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

My old trophy+ was capsicum red. It was beautiful. It's good that one has the larger screen with I presume the reversing camera which is handy.

I would recommend holding out for one with the above bixenon lights. They are very nice.

This is probably a stupid question: how do you tell if a car has bixenon lights?

7 minutes ago, NewyMitch said:

This is probably a stupid question: how do you tell if a car has bixenon lights?

Edited by speedfiend41

Thank you
No worries.
They're also a give away if you find something incorrectly named.

I.e. cup, cup+ (and a few others) didn't have them, but were cheaper and are therefore currently cheaper. If the car has them, probably either trophy, trophy+, or RB8. The other giveaway is the seats - if they have the sportster CS then they will have bixenon lights.

At the right $'s I'd take a punt on a car with a sketchy service history. These things are pretty robust, if it drives well, has the features you want and is in decent cosmetic shape negotiate a price based on lack of history and go for it. At least if you have the maintenance carried out you know it's done.

Edited by Matt205

On 15/03/2020 at 2:37 PM, NewyMitch said:

Hi all,

I've joined the forum to hopefully get some more information on what I want as my next car. I haven't had a fun car for years so very keen to get into a Megane 250/265. These models appear to have fairly universal praise in regards to the handling.

I'm based in Newcastle and have had some interesting cars in the past. The most recent was an Austin Healy Sprite which was great fun but the eternal chasing of oil leeks wore me down.

Cheers,

Mitch

Hey Mitch,

I have a high spec extreme blue RS250 Cup with $7k+ in performance modifications. What you've heard about the handling is correct, they are sensational. Thinking of selling to make way for a 275 Trophy-R. Send me a message if this sparks your interest (im based in Syd area)

Oscar

IMG_20191223_175755_577.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OldPacStig said:

Hey Mitch,

I have a high spec extreme blue RS250 Cup with $7k+ in performance modifications. What you've heard about the handling is correct, they are sensational. Thinking of selling to make way for a 275 Trophy-R. Send me a message if this sparks your interest (im based in Syd area)

Oscar

IMG_20191223_175755_577.jpg

Message sent :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 1:27 PM, NewyMitch said:

I just picked up my new (to me) Renault Megane 250 extreme blue from Oscar. He's done a great job with the mods and now I get to have the fun of getting to know the car.

Glad to have the car in the hands of another enthusiast! Enjoy mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1