Updated - Newbie bought a 172 Clio Sport :)

Dawid

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Renault' and these forums. By misses drives a new Fluence through work and its a nice car but has no sportiness whatsoever.

I have a couple old Celica's which are forever WIP's and have been driving a boring 2003 Mazda 323 for the past 12 months. Not having a fun daily drive has taken its toll me :( . I used to run around in my little supercharged AW11 MR2 with a great LSD and I really miss the fun of that car.

Anyway, I've looked at getting a 2011 WRX, a s15 Silvia but with a wedding looming I'm going to sell the Mazda and chip in a bit extra to get myself a Clio sport. The perfect one I would have loved to have bought is linked below.

My mates dad has a blue 172 with 90 000 kms that has been well looked after and the body is near perfect. I'll go check it out this weekend and hope the price is reasonable. It will need the belts done and some new tyres but he may get the belts done prior to sale. I understand that this is critical in buying one of these little monsters.

Cant wait!

Pete

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24629

Welcome.

Andy's car was nice. Great photo too :wink:

Good luck with your search!

Welcome, I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. 182 prices are dropping also if you were to go that extra bit. :nod:

Great photo too :wink:

Self praise is no praise :news:

It's a shame my car never made it back into forum ownership. I hear via the 'spotted' thread that the new owner is driving it properly though :wink:

Best of luck in the hunt. With regards to getting the belts done, take it to Paul V of AP Automotive (provided you're in SYD- cant see your location on Tapatalk.) that way you will have piece of mind that it's running exactly how it should.

Hi Guys, went and checked out the 172. Its very clean. One minor scrape on the rear bumper. He has fussed over it and its a very clean example.

Its got a K-tek stealth exhaust, carbon thumb grips and comes with a set of new rotors and ebc pads. Its been driven properly but not abused.

It needs belts and tyres and the belts service may notch it up out of my budget range as I got quoted $1200 for this locally in SA through Castle Motors. I'd also get the water pump done and any seals that could be done. Mums 2005 civic pushed its crank seal out recently for no reason and dropped all of the oil...

The cam belt was done there previously for about $600. I know its a more complex job than Japanese cars but if I have to spend $2000+ to get it where I want it might be a tad much for me. Anyway will see how this pans out and keep an eye on the market :)

Get a quote on the belts from Main North Renault. You want it done right.

$1200 is about right, but you will also not need to do anything there for 6 years.

Yes, RS are a bit pricey for upkeep, but worth it for the fun. :)

ED: re the clutch - yes it is much firmer and higher engagement. As it should be imho.

Re life of clutch - I've had points where I've thought - uh oh - but it seems to keep on going. 116k at the moment and still strong.

Just try and minimise the number of hard launches I do :)

PS - one very good upgrade is getting the newer 182 clutch cable. Had one fitted after a couple of months of the original 172 - SO much better.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the clutch too much, from what I read it is apparently one of the few things on the Clio that is nigh on indestructible :) I too was paranoid when I first got mine that the clutch was on it's way out but speaking to a few people and reading up on cliosport.net put my mind to rest somewhat.

As for getting the belts done I would ask a few of the Adelaide folks on here who would they recommend as again from what I have read the F4R isn't as straight forward as other motors to do - and you really want someone who knows what they are doing to do the cambelt. I assume you will be getting the aux belt done too at the same time?

Thanks guys, yeah I heard you have to take the drivers wheel off, inner guard, unbolt gearbox, some mounts and jack engine... Access is tight in these things! Yeah will get it done right if I get this particular example with a complete kit and the accessories belt plus water pump.

Get a quote on the belts from Main North Renault. You want it done right.

$1200 is about right, but you will also not need to do anything there for 6 years.

Yes, RS are a bit pricey for upkeep, but worth it for the fun. :)

Isn't it every 4 years or 100,000km, which ever comes first, for the belts? :news:

I wouldn't worry about the clutch, I put a new paddle clutch in recently and the OE clutch had done 142,000km by that stage and the mechanic said it still had plenty of life to go and I can assure you my clutch has been working pretty damn hard over the past twelve months with nearly 2 track events every month.

Jucafodisport (on this forum) might be able to help with the belts, he did mine at a very reasonable cost. Send him a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought my mates dads 172.

It has a K-tek stealth exhaust, carbon thumb grips, re-gassed aircon, and a set of new rotors and EBC pads to install if I like.

I'll need to get new tyres and the major service as its been close to 5 years since it was last done and its at 90 000kms so it will be another $1500 - 2000. This makes one of the more expensive ones compared to car sales examples but i know its history which is very good and it has a years rego so that drops the price a bit.

Cant wait to pick it up. :)