Newbie from Adelaide. 2006 Megane 225. Modifications?

toddfevans

Hi all,

I am new to the forum.

This is my second Renault sport (they are a great drivers car!).

I have just purchased a 2006 Megane 225. Loving it!

2251r.jpg

225jb.jpg

Hopefully the image above works

Has 70k on the clock, has modified suspension but still rides very nice and not too stiff.

I owned a 2002 Clio Sport for the last few years which I have loved! (and it currently for sale online 'carsales', #plug)

25593626.jpg

66974675.jpg

I found the Megane is a bit easier to drive than the Clio, and a lot more quiet. The gears are not as short and the clutch isn't as stiff.

I am wondering if there is any way of getting some more noise our of the engine (mostly the turbo). I LOVE the sound of the turbo winding up, but can really only hear it when the windows are down. I have read getting a modified air intake can decrease power. I was thinking about a blow-off-valve, but not sure how expense how hard it is to do or where to go to. Or how hard it is too remove (for re-sale purposes if need be). I do not want an exhaust note.

To be honest, I have restored classic and vintage vehicles, so do not too much about modern engines (incl turbos).

Some direction would be great! Thanks

Regards,

Todd

Welcome Todd, and a cracking 225 Ph2 you've got there. (I run one of it's forebears - a Ph1 225 BO)

The best bang-for-buck mod for some noise is removal of the back exhaust box completely, but it won't get you more whistle...

I'm sure there will be any number of opinions on what's best, so I'll let those who speak of such things take over from here :)

welcome todd , nice car - love the BO

not too sure about how to increase noise without losing HP but someone here will know .

That is an absolutely cracking buy!! I saw that one for sale on carsales and if you got it for what it was advertised for (or less!) that is awesome.

I'm planning on taking the back box off mine when I save up a few more pennies and maybe getting a Stage 1 tuner as well.

Might see you up in the hills soon. Nice car!

Hello to another BO 225! :)

Looks to be in great nic. Chris mine is an 05 registered in 06, but still PH1

Maybe just ph2 rear light conversion?

Todd, u mentioned suspension , what's been done? Be interested to hear.

If u do the back box let me know where u get it done, might give mine the chop in the future too.

See u around

Dan

Maybe just ph2 rear light conversion?

Have a look at the front bumper :wink:

Welcome mate!

Lovely looking car.

Enjoy 8)

Welcome Todd! Nice choice, looks great with the black wheels.

I put a Pod filter (cheap and not a permanent mod) on mine and it sounds like the inductions in the glove box, I love it. Contrary to what some think, I don't notice any loss in power at all and is a ripper sound. Hopefully people on the forum can give you a few other ideas as well.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

It is definitely a 06 Ph2. Production was April 06 and Shipped Oct 06.

I know this must be a dumb question but what is 'BO' stand for??..body kit?

Thanks for the tips on removing the foam, I did read that somewhere else so will give it a shot. Any guidance (photos) on what foam to remove? It is what is located around the air intake? I'll look into a new air filter.

Hopefully meet some of you, would be interested on going for a run/meet when the next Adelaide event is organised?

In relation to the suspension, Dan I will have a closer look tomorrow for you, but the guy I bought it off, his friend owns a Pedders so it is my understanding it was done there (I thought there was some paper work for it in the Service folder but I've scoured through and cannot see any!)

Yeh got it for what I thought was a great price.

Regards,

Todd

Foam is in your air box, behind the air filter. A freer flowing panel filter will add slightly more intake noise too.

Love the Megane. I saw your Clio on Carsales last week, it looks great too. I was going to give you a call if the one I was looking at fell through. Fortunately it worked out ok, so no trip to Adelaide necessary :)

Is that a Freudian jibe about Adelaide? :P

Just a little one :wink:

I did spend 5 years of my childhood so I have plenty of firsthand experience, of all it has to offer.

Waaaaah!!!!!! It took you 5 years to see all it has to offer????!!!!!!!! It takes most tourists 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Mighty fine vehicles the pair of the Todd.

Well done.

There are some aftermarket exhaust options etc, but you may want to try the easier routes first and see if they get you there.

Service her well, all the best with the 172 as it looks schmick too.

Cheers,

WOLF