Got bitten by the RS Bug!!

daleperrin

Hey Everyone,

Another Newbie here! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Dale, aka AGP33, and this is my story of the last few months!

I'd been driving around in my Mazda 6 Classic Sport, which is actually a very good car, and in my previous carnation of an owner/builder I used the poor thing more like a truck than the car it really was! However my job lacked direction and my car lacked the oomph that I really wanted, so like all true petrol heads, I turned up the automotive reading.

I started looking for both a new job and a new car, something that was going to excite me! Now while the job hunting wasn't going as well as I'd hoped, the search for a new beast certainly was going down a quickly narrowing path. Everything I read said that the Renault Megane RS250 was the best bang for your buck under $100k! I read with much enthusiasm reviews pitting it against everything such as the Volkswagen Scirocco R and of course the Subaru WRX. I felt that a V8 Commodore wasn't for me, and the WRX and EVO were too common and didn't have the WOW factor anymore (not to mention their skyrocketing prices when you looked at the half reasonable versions of them), so it came down to two, the RS250 or the Scirocco R. Now when I drove the two, well they were poles apart despite their almost identical performance figures (Btw who puts an Auto in a performance car??!). A 9-month waiting list for the Scirocco R put it out of the question, but was I being too frivolous getting the RS250??!

Starting to get more serious I spent more time at my local Renault dealer in Moonee Ponds, when on one visit I walked out into the yard I see this amazing looking beast all in black except for flashes of red detailing! The sales guy tells me that it was the limited edition Australian Formula One Grand Prix edition, which was fully loaded with every option and even some which weren't on the menu for either the Cup or the Trophy such as Sat Nav and glass roof! The best thing was that there were only 50 of them made and for about the same price as the Trophy!! Well I probably farted around a bit too long in finally making the decision, especially as it was a real budget stretcher for me and my crappy job, but luckily for me the dealership had secured four of the vehicles, and when I finally chose to sign the dotted line there was the last one left, just for me!

Well the story doesn't end there, because I was so impressed with the car and wanting a change in my professional life, despite me never having had previous automotive industry experience before, the Dealer Principle at Essendon Volkswagen and Essendon Renault, Don Calvert, saw enough enthusiasm and a ton of experience in logistics and operations, and a trusting blind faith, that I was offered a position with the company! I was then lucky enough to be located at Essendon Renault as a Parts Consultant, which I am still finding my feet in (so go easy on me if you ever come and see me about parts you need).

I am very happy to say that while I already had a beautiful wife, my life seems to be heading in a much more exciting and adventurous direction thanks to my still new Black Beast #33 and my new career!

Thanks everyone who endured my story, I look forward to reading these pages and posts with like-minded enthusiasm, and I also very much look forward to the events and runs as the beast feels too much like a wild animal caged up on city roads... I hope to meet many of you soon and look forward to your comments and banter.

Keep revving, Dale!!

Good to have U along for our journey in motoring nirvana. Jeez mate U give whitejet a run for 1st best post too. Lol. He will be along shortly to Welcome U and say Hi... Now just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Thank you very much everyone for the warm welcome, I very much appreciate it!

I've been waiting to see if I am available for Sunday (possible Birthday conflict), but it now looks as if I will be free, so more than likely unless something drastic happens, my wife Natalie and I will see everyone very bright and early at Barry Bourke! The run sounds like a lot of fun, even if it will possibly confirm with my wife that I am indeed going through some sort of mid-life crisis she thinks I'm going through...! LOL!

Look forward to meeting everyone on Sunday. See you then, Dale.

WOO HOO, unleash the Beast!!! :)

Hey Dale, welcome. Remember me ?

I have the "other" RSAGP that came in for RS cap replacements, & ID plaque (#40) couple of weeks ago......

I think I got the second last one from Moonee Ponds, & Have now travelled 5k.

I am still to contact Silvio from Glenroy Exhaust (after hearing yours in the car park : )-

Although after having a 3" high flow on my previous 2lit turbo, the relative quiet is a nice change.

The K&N filter via Demon Tweeks, was a good investment with slightly better throttle response, and subdued induction noise. Have seen you around the local area a bit (i'm in Essendon).

cheers, Neale.

Hey Neale, of course I remember you, we had a very good chat about our new cars while you were getting the plaque fitted. I think that you had an Astra SRi Turbo before and you had the exhaust done on that, that was right wasn't it? I do remember trying to show off my modified exhaust (not well in a car park mind you), but I do love the new more invigorated sound on mine though. I also like it being hidden and not one of these huge noise amplifiers you see on mostly Japanese cars which are trying to be something that they are not.

Not bad getting 5k on the dial, my poor thing doesn't seem to get much of a run, except we did take it away with us to Beechworth on the long weekend, which it sorely needed. Good also to see economy drop from 13.5L/100km to less than 8 over the course of the run. My economy isn't helped when I leave the car in a lower gear than it needs to be in because it sounds sooooooo much better... LOL!

The dealership sold 4 AGP's with mine being the lucky last one, which I later found out I was extremely lucky to get as the city dealerships were only allocated 2 each, but somehow someone sweet talked Renault Australia into supplying two more. I have seen yours and another one around the Essendon/Brunswick/Moonee Ponds area. They are easily spotted as we all have consecutive number plates!

Anyway I need to go wash mine before the car wash closes for the evening. Hope that you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying my black beast!

Take care and I'll see you around the streets for sure!

Great intro Dale. It's always nice to read the hows and whys when a newbie signs in.

Good luck with the new job as well. Getting a start in an enjoyable role is more than half the effort in going to work day in day out.

The RS cars won't be the "UNKNOWN'S" of the motoring world much longer.

AMEN!

I've been waiting for this intro since the day I signed up to this forum.

Welcome Dale and thank you you for sharing another great RS story with us. I also want to thank you for telling me about this forum and a huge thank you for always spendind that little bit extra time on the phone answering my questions. I hope to see you on Sunday *cough* in my rear view mirror *cough* 8)

P.S. Loving the left convex mirror! Thanks again for letting me know that it can be ordered for my car :mrgreen:

Plus, good luck with the new job, I hope you settle in nicely.

Sent from my S3 using my neighbours internet.

I hope to see you on Sunday *cough* in my rear view mirror *cough* 8)

Nah...I think I'd like a spot in your rear vision mirror on the weekend. You will recognise me because all you will see is a windscreen and white bonnet. :rofl:

Nah...I think I'd like a spot in your rear vision mirror on the weekend. You will recognise me because all you will see is a windscreen and white bonnet. :rofl:

Of course, when we stop for coffee :D

Sent from my S3 using my neighbours internet.

Of course, when we stop for coffee :D

Maybe we should sort it out at the Go-Kart track? :lol:

What do you weigh? :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there Dale.

Agree. Great entry post. All the best too.

Some pics would go a long way... so keep us posted.

Cheers, and see you around the forum.

WOLF

ps: the Scirocco R has turned my head a few times too.

• 1 month later...