Megane 250 - I WANT ONE!

Aydin

Hey hows it going guys this will be my first post. i own a nissan s15 spec r with some decent mods tien coilovers,front mount,exhaust etc im making 195 kw at the wheels the car goes good but have had her for over 3 years now and feel its time to upgrade. I was looking at buying the Golf R and while i was watching reviews and reading articles about it i came across the Renault Megane rs 250. In all the reviews i was hearing the same thing.. the car is absolutely brilliant, the handling is magic etc so it sorter got my attention. I mean here was a car that was newer,cheaper,more exclusive than the Golf r, so i had to test drive it.Went to the local dealer for a test drive and i was blown away. The handling was amazing the grip levels were freaky it handled like a bloody all-wheel drive! Was happy with how it went in a straight line aswell it pulls very nicely all the way through especially for a stock car, the only thing in my opinion that would of made it a touch better would be if the car could pull to 7 or 8 grand but still what a cracking car. I am now in the market for a Megane rs Trophy will keep you guys updated :wink:

Welcome Aydin! ( i assume thats your real name as well )

I think it speaks volumes about the megane when someone is calling the rs250 exciting coming from one of japans finest rwd turbo coupes, great to hear.

Your probably used to a bit character from the SR20 but if its any consolation the new rs265, which should be landing hear sometime this year promises a little more power and a gruntier exhaust note with pops and bangs and so on. If you can hold out a little longer id be putting my name down for an rs265 as it improves on the rs250 just that little bit more (not that 250 really ever needed improving).

Whatever your choice though, your guaranteed to fall in love.

- Sam

cheers guys ! BenG im from Auburn Nsw. Sam i dont know if i can hold on for the 265 but sounds tempting..its a shame we get everything abit late in Australia but still better than nothing, i think America is not even getting the car lol sucks to be them.

Hey Aydin,

You'll love whichever choice you make!

I'm glad I didn't have to decide whether to wait for the upcoming "new" model, which would normally be my preference if there was one in sight.

If there was a bunch of common niggles that the current series owners had reported, you'd obviously be better to wait for the "upgrade".

Fortunately there don't seem to be any real issues with the 250 that would be addressed by a factory revision, and since you can increase the power of a 250 pretty easily if you need to, why wait!

Again, glad I don't have to make the decision!

Good luck!

bozz

Aydin, I know what you mean about waiting, I had only had my R36 less than 2 years when I read about the RS250, took a test drive and signed up when I got back to the dealership, the 5 days I had to wait until I could pick it up was excruciating.

The head says wait, the adrenalin glands say do it now. I am putting out 198kw at the wheels with a few mods so I don't think the extra power of the 265 is going to be much of an issue, particularly if the extra power is only the result of some fine tuning which you can do with the 250 anyway.

No need to wait for a 265, as the guys hve said the 250 is perfectly good and set up well. For the average RSer the extra KW you get wont get much use unless you plan to track often anyway. The price increase over a 250 doesn't always justify the tag. Whatever you get... you've found a great stable of vehicles in a RS tuned car.

Welcome mate!

Good to hear you didn't just go with the crowd and get a VW without considering the alternatives. If you want a car that revs to 7 or 8K you'll need a Clio :wink:

Best of luck with the purchase process. Keep us updated!

Good point nemz!

I had (and still have, almost) tunnel vision for the RS250. Kinda saw a bright yellow smaller car nearby, but didn't consider it at all. I have no buyers remorse for buying my PERFECT ride, but I wonder what would have happened if I'd driven the Clio?!?!

thanks for the reply's! as you guys pointed out i can always get a remap..seriously i dont think its worth the wait but thats just me. All i know is i definitely want a Megane rs and i cant think of any car that can make me change my mind (for the price). In my eyes the Megane is the best bang for your buck car out there right now and will be in years to come. As for the comparisons going around on youtube etc about the golf vs megane the Golf r is a luxury car that is sporty the Megane rs is the opposite its a sport car that has luxury, plus who wants to pay over 45 grand for a car you see on every bloody street "yawnn" boringgg. Enter the Megane.

thanks chiapoco! i was actually refering to a second hand one when i said 45 k for the golf r..im after the trophy version of the megane and dont think i can afford a brand new one :/

Oh damn ok no worries.

FYI though, as you've probably guess I've been doing alot of shopping around - when it comes to Renault though the RS250 AGP is actually cheaper the cup Trophy. Only problem with the AGP is that it comes in only Star Black with the red trim around the 19' rims.

if that doesn't bother you it'd be worth your while to check out the renault dealers around town. From my understanding Sydney City just had their allocated 3 AGPs shipped to them earlier in the week.. and a possible 1 left at Peter Warren Renault.

Goodluck 8)

Welcome Aydin - I agree - pics of your S15 AND pics of the Megane :nod:

I'll pull you up on one point though - I reckon these things handle BETTER than an AWD but GRIP like an AWD :wink::lol:

I'm a RWD convert myself and my last performance car was a modified R33 GTS25t. I'm having just as much fun (if not more) and feel it's a quantum leap in terms of control and confidence - just a brilliant daily driver.

Best of luck!

Welcome mate!

If you want a car that revs to 7 or 8K you'll need a Clio :wink:

Clio's rev to 8,000rpm, now that's impressive, last one I drove seemed to be running out of legs at 7 :news:

Whilst the F4RT in the Megane does not rev to 8,000rpm it has something called a flexible power curve meaning it has lots of torque from 2000rpm all the way up, you learn to use the low down grunt and before you know it you will drive a car that requires 5,000RPM to start moving and think its just silly :D

Welcome mate!

If you want a car that revs to 7 or 8K you'll need a Clio :wink:

Clio's rev to 8,000rpm, now that's impressive, last one I drove seemed to be running out of legs at 7 :news:

Whilst the F4RT in the Megane does not rev to 8,000rpm it has something called a flexible power curve meaning it has lots of torque from 2000rpm all the way up, you learn to use the low down grunt and before you know it you will drive a car that requires 5,000RPM to start moving and think its just silly :D

To be fair, Clio's rev to 7,500 in the 200 guise and all 3 that I drove we're pulling all the way to the redline. The 225 that I drove had a lot of torque down low but I felt that I could get quite lazy with it and still go fast, where as in the Clio, you have to keep in on the boil (5,000RPM+).

In short, I prefer the challenge of the Clio. Also, as good as the F4RT howling sounds, it has nothing on the Clio screaming soundtrack. We should probably thank Renault for making two cracking yet very different cars :)

Agree, they are both fantastic versions of the same engine. With the Clio you get throttle response that makes Meg owners jealous.

Low and mid range of the Meg with the Top end and response on the Clio would be win, something like a BMW M3 straight six or V8.