Bandwidth Problem

ClioF1

• 1 month later...

Sorry Dave, it was, we just had it bumped very quickly..

We have had our bandwidth allowance doubled (if i am correct) so should be a thing of the past.. :D

• 10 months later...

That was a big outage,

In a way I think it was good. It hit home that somewhere along the line this site is

a) growing bigger

b) costing somebody money

small amount for a membership with some perks or something would be nice, (unless of course you are the chief social co-ordinator for the waratah state).

Thanks to whoever coughed up the $$ to get it back online!

Thanks to whoever coughed up the $$ to get it back online!

May be a good idea for everyone to cough up $$$ for cards... I grabbed some off Moosey on Sunday!

Well what should we pay? I am happy to give money on the weekend.... it cant be left for one person to cough up all the money.

Admin .... tell us what it costs so we can contribute

I was guttered that i could not post something about the F1 at 4.30 this morning ... Glad its back up :D

Can we have a group hug..Ive spent so many hours actually doing work..Please fix this problem

What... work on fixing the site or working as you had nothing else to do cause the site was down :lol:

Its nice to have the site back on line. Got withdrawl so I logged onto aussiefrogs (as others did too) to get my fix. How sad :alco:

Guys, I haven't had the full story as to why we crashed the second time. Maybe we can have an open discussion on Sunday (not wanting to exclude the other members though) about where people want to go with the site.

I be more than happy to pay to keep the site running :D

The costs shouldnt be just passed on to one person? who ever does pay :?

I also work for a web development company and seem to spend a lot of time within the site,

so if i could be of any assistance in maintaining or anything related, i'd be more than happy to help out!

Cheers Tom

The problem is, as always, that somebody needs to be prepared to spend the time managing everything, whether that be sponsors or whatever. It's a pretty easy system that we have running at the moment. The support via card and sticker purchases is pretty much covering costs. So no individual is having to fork out. I have to say that most, but not all, of the support at the moment is coming from NSW. Maybe that's just because those who attend the Sydney drive days tend to shell out whenever we catch up.

The problem is, as always, that somebody needs to be prepared to spend the time managing everything, whether that be sponsors or whatever. It's a pretty easy system that we have running at the moment. The support via card and sticker purchases is pretty much covering costs. So no individual is having to fork out. I have to say that most, but not all, of the support at the moment is coming from NSW. Maybe that's just because those who attend the Sydney drive days tend to shell out whenever we catch up.

On that topic mate can you please bring some stickers on sunday.....I stuffed up the application of the last one I bought.

Thanks

Wade

On that topic mate can you please bring some stickers on sunday.....I stuffed up the application of the last one I bought.

Thanks

Wade

Stickers and cards will be available on Sunday. Bring your cash, bring your trailer.

bring your trailer.

:shock::shock::shock: ....................somehow i dun think that would be such a good combo when going through the natio :lol::lol::lol: ......

have to try and slow the Meggies down in a straight line somehow... :wink:

What is it actually costing to host the site, and how much bandwidth do you get for the money? Also, what's the deal with cards at the moment? I'm in melbourne, so I cant get there 'on sunday'. I've been looking for a new batch for a while now since my last ones ran out (well, were stolen actually!). If there's none heading down melbourne way, then I might do a run myself :)

What is it actually costing to host the site, and how much bandwidth do you get for the money? Also, what's the deal with cards at the moment? I'm in melbourne, so I cant get there 'on sunday'. I've been looking for a new batch for a while now since my last ones ran out (well, were stolen actually!). If there's none heading down melbourne way, then I might do a run myself :)

Check with Moosey

WANT TO SUPPORT YOUR OZRS.COM SITE??? PM ME FOR STICKERS $10 AND SIGHTING/INVITATION CARDS $15 FOR 50

Dish and PaulD as well

join us on the drive on the 5th Scott. I am sure Dish will be bring in some cards and stickers.

even if u cant turn up to the drive , I am sure things can still be organise. U have moved to or around the glen area isn't it? both Dish and PaulD are living preety much near by.

I Host the site for the guys here on one of my servers, I charge $1500 a month, and it goes straight to my ferrari fund!

Nah, just kidding I basically charge them cost price as PaulD is a good friend, the bandwidth is flexible - as in I bump it up as needed, its for a good cause :)

Oh.. and i'll throw in a shameless plug every now and then - if you need anything hosted or designed drop me an pm :P

Check with Moosey

WANT TO SUPPORT YOUR OZRS.COM SITE??? PM ME FOR STICKERS $10 AND SIGHTING/INVITATION CARDS $15 FOR 50

Dish and PaulD as well

Are you quoting that from somewhere, or just letting people know? Last time I heard from Dish he said he was looking into it to see what he could find out, and that was all. Anyway, I'll send a PM. I cant make it to the melbourne drive day. How much do they cost these days? Are they still the same price as the original run we did?

Are you quoting that from somewhere, or just letting people know? Last time I heard from Dish he said he was looking into it to see what he could find out, and that was all. Anyway, I'll send a PM. I cant make it to the melbourne drive day. How much do they cost these days? Are they still the same price as the original run we did?

Read Moosey's reply ^^^ and check out his sig :mrgreen:

Hmm... for some reason I didnt notice the price in there lol

Hmm... for some reason I didnt notice the price in there lol

:alco::wink::mrgreen:

$1500 a month???

are the Google bots still chewing up mega-bandwidth by the way?

Ahaha, I was kidding! I guess sarcasm doesnt work very well on the internet.

We beleive it's googlebots causing alot of the traffic, alongside the growth of the site also, we have put some measure in place now to tame it down a bit now however, so we should hopefully not get the problems in the future.

$1500 a month???

are the Google bots still chewing up mega-bandwidth by the way?

Ahaha, I was kidding! I guess sarcasm doesnt work very well on the internet.

We beleive it's googlebots causing alot of the traffic, alongside the growth of the site also, we have put some measure in place now to tame it down a bit now however, so we should hopefully not get the problems in the future.

I was going to say, that's mighty expensive, even at UK prices!

I suppose someone's gotta pay for the maintanence of your collection of Ferraris.

good to hear the google bot stuff is contained; I've read that they can be quite aggressive/brutal/ruthless/stupid :P

Starship,

Our bandwidth gets reset at the end of every month, since we were already at our threshold, that last day I think sent us over! So we were down until the bandwidth was reset.

As for googlebots, it seemed as though it was caching the whole site, and lots of useless stuff, we have now told the googlebot what we want it to cache so it doesnt steal too much junk, we just need to sit back and see if it works.

On top of that, the site is getting alot more attaention and use which is great, we just need to make sure we are covered, so full steam ahead!

Cheers

ex

• 4 weeks later...

As we seem to be having continuing bandwidth shutdowns, is it possible to look at another level of hosting or implment some sort of revenue model to better support the site? It's a bit embarassing to be handing out OZRS cards to a site that's up and down a bit.

I sit 2 meters away from 4 PHP programmers all day, if there was busdget we could do a lot to improve the OZRS experince, at least lets keep the bad boy live!

Its not a cost issue, its a configuration issue as we keep saying, googlebot is eating up nearly 2-3gb of bandwidth every day or two .. we are trying different ways to get it to stop being so greedy with little luck yet, but we hope we can find a solution very soon, we are working hard to get it resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

ex