Forum structure - thoughts on restructure?

Dish

Restructure?  

1. 1. Restructure?

• Nup, leave it as is
    • Give each model its own section and throw everything in together
    • Give each model its own section but split threads into sub-sections
    • Hold on, I have a better idea (please elaborate below)

Hey peeps,

Just wondered whether or not we should look at consolidating some of the forums or not. Reason I ask is that from time to time there are certain topics that can fit into either a general discussion section or a more technical section. So for example, if all the Clio II topics were pooled together into a hold-all forum, how would that go? Or might that get messy?

Other option is to rearrange them so that the each model is bundled together with its own discussion and tech sub-forums (like how the For Sale section is now with Cars and Other).

ie

Clio II

- Discussion

- Technical (stickies)

- Technical

- Performance Mods (since this model is the most popular for modding)

Clio III

- Discussion

- Technical

Megane II

- Discussion

- Technical

Megane III

- Discussion

- Technical

However, that would leave a few floaters, like the Other Renaultsport etc, Renault in Motorsport, Car Care and ICE sections. These are more generic anyway, so they could be kept together for instance.

While we're at it, how about the Limited Edition registers? I was thinking (again, dangerous for me LOL) that we might list them as stickies, but all under Members Rides. In addition, I think a general register would be a great idea too, to get everyone else involved... but that would be hard to maintain unless we assign someone to specifically look after it. Show of hands?

If what I'm trying to get across doesn't make sense, please tell me. I'm just brainstorming... thought we could do with a little refreshing/spring cleaning.

More FRANK

Can't see how it fits in with Dish's topic, but have to agree. Surely the Mods have his email, let's get him back..... :hyper:

Oh, and all together with permanent stickies, sounds like a good idea to me. I always found navigating both main areas confusing at times. Low IQ I presume.

I like the model + sub-forums idea.

Also like the general register idea. Maybe split into models (Clio 172 phI, phII, 182). Happy to put my hand up for Clio II duties. Should probably get someone who frequents a specific section a fair bit to look after it :wink:

I like the model + sub-forums idea.

Also like the general register idea. Maybe split into models (Clio 172 phI, phII, 182). Happy to put my hand up for Clio II duties. Should probably get someone who frequents a specific section a fair bit to look after it :wink:

Yup, +1 with walkies thoughts

Ah, yeah, some long termers here may recall we had a "memorable quotes" section some time back - got deleted when the novelty wore off.

Keep those votes and suggestions coming :wink:

More frank/Frank comments are always welcome! (but not the unkind variety please)

The Clio II technical stickies section always seems a little pointless to me. Put them back in the Clio II technical section really. If there's then too many stickies in the forum, then setup a technical FAQ thread which then has links to the associated threads.

I do like the idea of grouping by Model rather than a Model and Tech section. Should reduce the crossover that is happening.

Also can the two for sale sub section be pulled out so you can access these directly as opposed to having to click twice. Maybe have a "Cars For Sale" and "Parts For Sale" instead.

My 2c for the moment.

Cheers,

Trent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something else that would be nice but I'm not sure if it's available in phpBB is auto sizing themes so that page width automatically resizes according to your screen res (vBulletin has had this for a couple of versions now).

Another thing vBulletin has now is a really nice mobile phone mode which makes Tapatalk and others a bit redundant.

I'd still also like more text in my signature for additional formatting changes. Is it possible to make so that only actual viewed text is counted as opposed to text and formatting code?

Cheers,

Trent

• 2 months later...

And you know what's funny. I picked up that the Meg III was out of date but now I just had a read of the Clio III and apparently it's a new model too. :P

Cheers,

Trent

LOL, thanks Treza - done :P

Looks like bremund took care of the Megane III heading :wink:

OK, I'm going to do a shuffle of the subcategories now (might take a few minutes, so hope this doesn't disrupt things too much). We'll see how things go...

OK, we'd like to hear your thoughts on the new structure. If you feel there are any threads that should be moved about or consolidated, please don't hesitate to mention it. We really appreciate any suggestions that will continue to make this the Number 1 resource for all things RENAULTsport :D

(I'll set up a thread for merge/move suggestions)