Newbie - Looking at buying an RS 250 Cup Trophee

Luna-tic

Hey Everyone!

Just thought I'd come on board and introduce myself. Just signed up to this forum; so it's all very new to me. Name's Brett and I currently own an '07 Ford Fiesta XR4. But I'm currently in the market for a Megane RS 250. I've been researching the market for hot hatches for a while. Test drove a Golf GTI a few months back, but it just didn't excite me. In fact, the XR4 feels like more fun. And the GTI's styling is a bit bland for my liking. Stumbled upon the RS 250 at the Sydney Motor Show and fell in love.

So, here I am! No doubt you'll be hearing more from shortly!

and what colour RSM 250will sir be purchasing today [ trial close ... old fashioned sales technique ].

just do it ! golfs are good . RSM 250 are great . thats the difference

Ha ha. Looking at Luna Grey. Sport Yellow is very nice, but it's a bit flamboyant for me.

Just a quick question (or two) while I'm here, though. Just out of curiousity, what does the Mercury paint colour look like? Don't think I've seen it.

And I'd be looking at buying from Northsore Renault or Rick Damelian. Has anybody had experience with either? And, if so, how did you find the service?

And, roughly, what would I be looking at drive away for a Cup Trophee in Luna Grey (no options). I haven't owned a Renault before, so I don't know how willing the dealers are to negotiate. I know VW are very willing to deal on both the GTI and R.

Welcome, Brett. The XR4 is a top little car. Almost a Renaultsport in drag. He! He! So do you hang about on the XR4 forum? I'm sure you'll be happy with a 250 :)

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the XR4 is a great car. Lots of fun. I do spend time on the XR4 forums (FordXR4.com). My username there is Red_XR4.

mercury , also talk to overs at mascot who are helpful ............and of course our very own joey at peter warrens .. joey is a popular long term forum member here and really understands the cars and has delivered a few very recently to other forum members . he had an R26, then for some reason a gti but saw the light and now drives and sells renaults .

And I'd be looking at buying from Northsore Renault or Rick Damelian. Has anybody had experience with either? And, if so, how did you find the service?

welcome!

northshore sales suck... sorry but from my experience(s) they don't want to get off their ass unless they smell a sure buy.. better buying from Joey

northshore service dept is great, they have mechanics & parts technicians that know the cars inside out and often go on social drives and are car enthusiasts. I take my car there all the time but the service costs are dealership prices

Hey Everyone!

Just thought I'd come on board and introduce myself. Just signed up to this forum; so it's all very new to me. Name's Brett and I currently own an '07 Ford Fiesta XR4. But I'm currently in the market for a Megane RS 250. I've been researching the market for hot hatches for a while. Test drove a Golf GTI a few months back, but it just didn't excite me. In fact, the XR4 feels like more fun. And the GTI's styling is a bit bland for my liking. Stumbled upon the RS 250 at the Sydney Motor Show and fell in love.

So, here I am! No doubt you'll be hearing more from shortly!

Mate do yourself a favour and buy the rs 250. i also drove the gti and thought it was a little to civilised.

Ive had my rs250 for a week now and am so impressed. Peter warren Renault will defianlty help you out speak to joey he knows his stuff.

Hi Merc and welcome aboard (sorry, not sure what to call you)

From first hand experience the only thing i can offer is the Overs parts (maybe service) has gone down the tubes. They lost a great dept manager and have never recovered.

Sales, not sure, go with the majority here i guess.

Anyways, hope you get it, post some pics as that colour is sounding unique on this forum, and leet me know if you want to any help with parts in the future.

Cheeeers,

WOLF

Thanks everybody for the welcome, information and advice. I realised not long ago (and rather foolishly) that the colour I love (and the one at the motor show) is in fact Lunar Grey. So that's what I'd be looking at.

North Shore Renault told me they have two RS 250's in stock at the moment. Rick Damelian have one (but it's already sold). I'd love to go in and at least get a test drive to get the feel for the car. I was told by Rick Damelian that it could take anywhere between 3-4 months to get the car. Anybody know if that's true? If so, it's painfully long and encourages me to put an order in ASAP.

If you can afford the ful spec ones, and they moveon price, then giddyup.

Otherwise, as above, i'd wait for a 2011 build.

This may help a smidge if the dealer wants to sell you a 2010 that doesn't have someone's name on it.

Cheers....and get one.

WOLF

Thanks for the input. And I quite agree. I'd definitely prefer a 2011 build (without the leather, because I love the yellow seatbelts), but if the dealers are willing to negotiate a bit on the optioned ones in Oz, then I'm all ears.

Interestingly enough, when I was speaking to a VW dealer a while back about a GTI, he said dealers were quite willing to negotiate on factory orders. His reasoning was that they need to give some incentive to justify the waiting time. Maybe this is just a VW thing; hopefully Renault share the same view :)

So I've jumped in a little late, but welcome.

Mercury Silver is available to see at Rick Damelian last I was there.

Not sure where Luna Grey is, but I know I have one in my driveway! I'm in the Inner West and more than happy to show you the car in detail. I used to have a Fiesta Zetec so still have a soft spot for the XR4.

I know you wouldn't think about it, but speak with Jacob Bell from Melrose in Canberra - he had a Luna Grey coming in before the end of the year that wasn't yet sold. Really lovely guy too. If that fails, Joey/Kevin at Peter Warren were great, as are Northshore (especially their service department!). The others... . Yep, nothing to add.

Steve

Thanks for the info, Steve.

I went to North Shore & Rick Damelian yesterday (sadly, Peter Warren was closed). North Shore got backt o me today and they can't budge on the trade in. There's no way in the world I could accept what they offered. And they don't seem willing to move, sadly.

Rick Damelian are going to get back to me tomorrow to see if they can do better on a trade in. If that fails, I'll be at Peter Warren's on Sunday. The reviews there have been very good.

Hey Brett,

Are you in a position to sell privately? I know this could take some time though in the current market, but surely a XR4 would sell quite well.

Peter Warren gave me an amazing price... better than I thought to expect on a newly released car.

Yeah, trouble is an XR4 could take ages to sell privately. Rick Damelian just got back to me and, apparently, they aren't doing trade ins on the RS 250. I've never heard of any new car dealership who doesn't offer trade ins. He wouldn't even give me a reason. RD are very, very disappointing. This is the first time I've dealt with Renault and the quality of service so far is quite poor.

But, I'm not going to give up just yet. Friday afternoon I'm going to give Peter Warren a red hot go. The reviews there have been promising, so fingers crossed. Otherwise, I might be headed to VW.

Oh Brett this is an all too familiar thing I'm hearing. I know it's Canberra, but give Jacob Bell a go at Melrose. He was great. Only problem is he'll ask to see the car. Trust me, his an awesome guy and had Luna coming in December. And white too.

Peter Warren I think will be your best bet though! Speak to Joey and Kevin. Mention you're on the forum too. In fact, they've got a Ford franchise so I can't see the trade being an issue. The dealers mustn't know what the XR4 is. RD at the time told me he wanted my BMW...

Hey Brett,

Welcome, Dont give up yet. I had the same experience with Northshore & RD. I have bought 6 new Renaults and i have to say that Kevin at Peter Warrens has blown me away with his service and the price :wink:

Ring his mobile 0439 709 708 .... I am sure he wont mind you calling him directly.

Its really disapointing to hear how some of the dealers treat people, Renault really need to lift their game on this sort of stuff if they ever want to be a real player in the Aust Market. If you were a illinformed person who was not on the this forum you would have given up and bought a hum drum VW.

They need to get a mistery buyer in to these dealerships and really give the people a work out and if they dont come up to standard ...then piss them off. They are doing nothing for the brand here in Oz.

Ok thats me off my soap box !

Try Peter Warren, Tell Kevin your a mate of Steven and I

Too true Dom.

OT, my parents are looking at Tiguan v X1, and customer service is almost non existent too. I think it's just car dealers in general! I'm still waiting for three dealers to call me about the Focus RS too...

Thanks everyone for the info and advice.

I'm not going to give up just yet. Like I said, I definitely prefer the RS250 over the Golf GTI/Golf R. If Renault give me the deal I want (and it's reasonable), I'm 100% in.

I just spoke to Kevin - thanks heaps for his mobile :)

Seems like a nice bloke, very helpful, so I'm in there tomorrow to get a trade in value and see what we can do with price.

I'll keep everyone posted, but fingers crossed, I'll be putting the order in tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice.

I'm not going to give up just yet. Like I said, I definitely prefer the RS250 over the Golf GTI/Golf R. If Renault give me the deal I want (and it's reasonable), I'm 100% in.

I just spoke to Kevin - thanks heaps for his mobile :)

Seems like a nice bloke, very helpful, so I'm in there tomorrow to get a trade in value and see what we can do with price.

I'll keep everyone posted, but fingers crossed, I'll be putting the order in tomorrow.

Hey Brett,

Good to see Kevin was his usual helpful self. As i said great guy, really looked after me when others just pissed me off.

see my thoughts here -

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18675

Good luck mate .... i am sure he will do you a good deal, dont forget the change over is the issue not what he gives you. If you own the car the issue is how much to upgrade. If you dont own the car and need to pay it out ... its still the same really, but you might need to massage the numbers.

Anyways ... Look forward to hearing the good news ...you wont regret it :headbang:

Good news! I just placed an order this afternoon - Lunar Grey Cup Trophee. Must say a big thank you to Dom for giving me Kevin's number. He's definitely the most professional dealer I've ever done business with. Very helpful, friendly and willing to move on price. I couldn't ask for more than that. We're looking at an early April delivery. The hardest part now is waiting, of course. Took the yellow RS they had in stock for a spin. Hugely impressive car, performance and handling sensational and so many gadgets and gizmos to get used to.

Overall I'm just very happy and what a good mood to be in on New Years Eve! Thanks Dom and everybody else for their input and advice and big thumbs up to Kevin (And Peter Warren Renault) for a quality service.

Good news! I just placed an order this afternoon - Lunar Grey Cup Trophee. Must say a big thank you to Dom for giving me Kevin's number. He's definitely the most professional dealer I've ever done business with. Very helpful, friendly and willing to move on price. I couldn't ask for more than that. We're looking at an early April delivery. The hardest part now is waiting, of course. Took the yellow RS they had in stock for a spin. Hugely impressive car, performance and handling sensational and so many gadgets and gizmos to get used to.

Overall I'm just very happy and what a good mood to be in on New Years Eve! Thanks Dom and everybody else for their input and advice and big thumbs up to Kevin (And Peter Warren Renault) for a quality service.

Hip Hip Horray ! :hyper:

Well done mate, as i said i was really blown away by his service, the other dealers should take note !

I waited nearly 6 mths & didnt even have the opertunitiy to drive one see one until the motor show....so your time will go fast.

Something i found out, it looks like cars made from end of Dec will have white highlights on the speedo so it should make it easier to see how fast your going....so your will trully be a 2011 spec.

What a great way to see in 2011, congrats .

Big thumbs up to Kevin & Peter Warrens :hail:

Too true Dom.

OT, my parents are looking at Tiguan v X1, and customer service is almost non existent too. I think it's just car dealers in general! I'm still waiting for three dealers to call me about the Focus RS too...

I agree with Teki - the standard of dealers is so low (SO LOW!) that I can't believe it.

Prior to buying my R26 I looked into Civic Type R where the dealership manager never called me when their first one came into stock despite our discussing that she would do so 2x about 3 months prior; HSV dealer didn't call me when the wagon first came into stock; VW dealer basically didn't want to talk to me about any car and when I insisted he give me a price on one visit I had to fill out an order form with the business manager just to get the price; Mazda dealer told me "we haven't got one, no one in NSW has one so you'll have to wait 5 months until one comes on a boat (what about Vic or Qld?). There were other dealer stories but these were the worst three of a very bad bunch.

It really seems like almost no one in Canberra wants to actually sell a car. Perhaps business is so good that they only want to deal with easy customers - someone they might have to pick up the phone and call is too hard. Sounds like other places in Australia are generally as bad.

However on the good side when Canberra didn't have a Smart dealer the one in central Sydney drove to Canberra in one so I could test drive it. I told her if she could find a legal way for me to carry 2 bikes on it I would buy it. She couldn't figure that one out, so I didn't buy a Smart. But 7 hours in the car for me to spend 30 minutes driving it around town. That impressed me.

Grrrr.

Congrats on the order Merc (still don't know your name!)

The wait will go quickly, and just as you're settling into the new year your new baby will be here 8)

Thanks everyone. I am hoping the time will go very, very fast. Sorry Alex, I'm Brett :)

Good idea about the speedo needle colour being changed to white. I've read a bit about people having difficulty reading the dials. I didn't have any trouble, but it was only a 20 minute test drive, so I think my experience is hardly representative.

Definitely looking forward to a cruise/track day somewhere down the line, as well. Or any social gathering that's organised. It's what we used to do on the XR4 forums and it always worked well.

WELCOME and congratulations on your new wheels.

YOU made the right choice. You won’t be disappointed.

Apologies for not being there to meet you, but from the sounds of it, Kevin has helped you out. Good news.

THANK you to everyone for recommending Kevin and I. Much appreciated.

PS - HAPPY NEW YEAR.

• 3 weeks later...

Agghh! The wait is becoming so unbearable. It's only been a month since I placed my order, but it feels like six!!

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know why it takes so long? I mean an April delivery (which is what I was told to expect) is almost 4 months since I placed the order. I can understand the wait time with Golf R because the demand is very high, but what about Renault? Is it that Renault don't consider Australia an important market? I mean shipping should be, what, 6-8 weeks roughly? I can't see how it translates into almost four months!! I would ask Kevin, but he's on holidays. When he gets back, should have an answer on delivery.

Unfortunately your car isn't built the second you place an order with the dealer. Often dealers can only place orders with the factory at each round of forward orders. So it may be anywhere up to a month from when you place your order with the dealer to when it gets to the factory. Then there are all the people who put in orders before you. So it could be 3 months after you place your order before your car is built. Then it can take up to 10 weeks for the boat to make it to Oz, then 1-2 weeks before it arrives at the dealership.

4 months isn't so bad. I placed my order in November and wont see it til March/April.

• 2 months later...
Good news, people :)

Kevin told me the ship will be docking in the next few days. 1-2 weeks at customs - I'm hoping just 1 and then a few more days for delivery and i'll finally have it.

Finally, the day is almost here :D

Excitement overload!! Your life is about to change :wink:

Just don't do what I did and get a red light camera fine the day after i picked it up. Just got it in the mail yesterday. ARGH!

Congrats on the new beast. I'd say mine was on the same boat as yours as I was told it was in Melbourne last week and will make it to Perth next week. About a month later than they said but I cant complain too much as I have been getting around in a demo 197, now I know what all the fuss is about! As they said....pics! :wink:

Congrats on the new beast. I'd say mine was on the same boat as yours as I was told it was in Melbourne last week and will make it to Perth next week. About a month later than they said but I cant complain too much as I have been getting around in a demo 197, now I know what all the fuss is about! As they said....pics! :wink:

Wow, so they gave you a RenaultSport loaner car, because there was a delay on the delivery date? That's fantastic customer service. I would of thought you would be doing well to get a yaris...