Meg 225 ASAP

eddiepunchclock

I certainly would not advise against.

The Renault product cycles are not annualised, so I see no real benefit unless you're on the cusp of phase 1 and phase 2. (The foglights are the easiest way to pick the difference)

I think the phase 1's actually have less problems than the phase 2's going by some of the warranty work that needed to be carried out on phase 2's (or maybe there are just more phase 2's around!)

Some points to note

- the phase 1 will be due for timing belt and auxiliary belt change according to time, but not k's - they need to be changed every 4 years or 100 000km, depending on which occurs first.

- phase 2 is facelifted with more slanted front grill, different rear lights and different interior trim - they lose the cool orange seatbelts that the phase 1's get :D

- phase 2 has 18inch rims while the phase 1 has 17's

otherwise i can't think of any reason why you would not get a phase 1, as its basically the same car as the phase 2 - just a matter of which one u prefer the look of imo. They might have revised the suspension and esp settings on the phase 2 non cups, but not 100% sure.

Goodluck, and oh welcome :)

Cheers,

Brendan

Many thanks Brendan,

Apologies for the abruptness of my initiation :oops: , but there is an element of haste due to the end of the financial year looming. Those phase I wheels (17's) look nice, until that is you get a look at the 18's on the phase II and the cups :shock: sweet. The upside is I assume that the 17's would be slightly cheaper to shod. In any case I look forward to whipping around the place very soon.

PS I ruled out several cars in my search for a fun new ride:

The Focus XR5 was comfy and smooth but lacked a bit of animal. (lovely exhaust note though)

The 3 MPS was scary to drive but also lacked a feeling of connectedness to the driver

The cdti astra was firm and tight but lacked grunt

The Megane is the drivers choice

The upside is I assume that the 17's would be slightly cheaper to shod.

And a slightly "softer" ride too. Good luck with the purchase and welcome to the forum!

In terms of space Phase 1 Meganes (both 5 door cups) were the quickest at the first 2 national meets.

17's should offer a little more compliance on the road and yes saave the wallet a little come replacement time.

Personally i really like the facelift on the ph2 meganes and im currently trying to save for one myself, however if the right ph1 came along for the right price i wouldnt say no!

So what did you decide on the one you have posted up about?

It is v.hard to sell cars at the moment, definatley a buyers market so use it to your advantage =)

partly that, but also because i doubt the belts would have been changed - and they would be due on time by over 1 year given the 04 date

but then again, the meggy isn't a clio :P:lol: .........but still a game of russian roullette nonetheless.

plus the 60 000km service is the big C service

PhII was massively improved suspension-wise in the non-cup. I remember Evo was disappointed in the phI steering feel & torque steer & said that the phII was much improved.

Exterior differences are subtle. I like the angled front of the phII but like the protruding foggies in the phI.

I say drive both & decide for yourself! :wink:

Excellent points there people and yes Brendan that is the car you're thinking of. I am waiting on the reply to my offer which is more than I have seen some advertised for but (struth, I hope they can't see this!) I've driven it a couple of times and it is devastating to have to give it back :(

• 1 month later...

Cheers! Best purchase ever. A few tweaks on the cards. Resonator- not essential it seems? $90 to replace it with straight pipe. Doing it tomorrow I think?? Removed the airbox and slipped in a cone filter. Waste of freaking time and blood. Sounded all whooshy and blowy with a flu-like blow-off sound. Put the original setup back in. Might find a better panel filter (I.T.G, Green Cotton)?

Righto, where does one pickup ITG's in Sidtown?

don't know of anyone in Syd carrying them, i got mine from Melbourne ages ago - from the hiclone/fuelsaver guys, who are the Australian distributors for ITG i believe.

otherwise you can get it from overseas.

or, you can get the green filter from ClioF1 on here.

G'day Jeffster, the resonator removal was, I thought, just a mild noise increase (maybe a few crackles and pops) whereas the back-box removed allowed for a more serious (loud) note? This is a covert mod as I've actually been instructed by the wife to sell the "bloody car". She doesn't even drive! Appreciate the advice chaps. The car is technically for sale but at a price that should discourage any interest.

The car is technically for sale but at a price that should discourage any interest.

LOL that's gold ^^^^^^

Then the center resonator should be good, I am pulling out the cat and that is going to give me a nice BHP increase and over run crackle & pops.

The RStuner is inexpensive and unobtrusive so you might want to have a look at the before removg the resonator.

Glad your enjoying the car, hope to see you at the next meet.

Cheers! Best purchase ever. A few tweaks on the cards. Resonator- not essential it seems? $90 to replace it with straight pipe. Doing it tomorrow I think?? Removed the airbox and slipped in a cone filter. Waste of freaking time and blood. Sounded all whooshy and blowy with a flu-like blow-off sound. Put the original setup back in. Might find a better panel filter (I.T.G, Green Cotton)?

you didn't like the wooshy noise? Its very unique to the megane 225. No other turbo cars have that jet-esk noise. Personally i think the Megane 225 sounds better than other turbo cars in its marque apart from the XR5(Volvo 5 pot is a screamer :headbang: ) AFAIK you hear it even more with exhaust mods. others can confirm this but you will also possibly lose the turbo spool-up whistle with exhaust mods such as removing the centre resonator.

Congrats on the purchase tho. Shame the mrs wants you to sell it so soon.

Yeah, the air whoosh sound created with the drift air filter was fun for about 5 minutes. There was just too much air and nothing else! Resonator gone, so is my parrot that used whistle maniacly from under the bonnet. I loved that little guy. :cry: . I have achieved a nice burble at start up and idle and a general hum through the cabin. Am yet to give it some curry but I reckon there will be popcorn. :shock:

Yeah, the air whoosh sound created with the drift air filter was fun for about 5 minutes. There was just too much air and nothing else! Resonator gone, so is my parrot that used whistle maniacly from under the bonnet. I loved that little guy. :cry: . I have achieved a nice burble at start up and idle and a general hum through the cabin. Am yet to give it some curry but I reckon there will be popcorn. :shock:

Ya that's why I like to remove the rear box as you get the burble, and the whistle is louder :)

Check out this video:

Enjoy the car mate, the modding bug is hard to get rid of :)

Gave her some stick today and am actually happy with the change.

For one, the best note is between one and two thousand rpm which is great for fuel consumption( as I'm no longer belting it just to hear the whistle), and tapping the throttle at the lights gives a sweet little burbling sound. The other improvement is the pops on the deceleration. Above 5000 rpm there is a nice growl aswell.

If you don't mind losing the whistle it's a cheap, satisfying mod. Now just waiting on the next batch of RStuners :twisted: