Salut OzRS

raku

Greetings all. Pleased to announce another 172 owner in Adelaide (Gawler) having just purchased Danobot’s 2003. Have only driven for all of 40kms but first impression is Mwahahaha. Should be an entertaining car with some practicality and plenty of character. I’ve previously owned a 205gti and this is quite reminiscent in many respects. Other cars (most recent to earliest): Galant VR4; Laser TX3 4wd; S series valiant; 205 gti. I also get to drive around in a XT forester so I was a bit worried with my response to the 172 – wo ist die turbo? But no worries there….This site looks good in terms of info, activity and friendliness. Hope to see you around. (Oh yes, and special thanks to deb] and esport for sorting out my activation)

Hey there raku, and Welcome!

Apologies for the lengthy wait to get in the door - I tried emailing you back to find out your username but your address bounced! Anyways, glad that Deb & esport were able to assist.

Enjoy the little critter and enjoy your stay here :)

Greetings all. Pleased to announce another 172 owner in Adelaide (Gawler) having just purchased Danobot’s 2003. Have only driven for all of 40kms but first impression is Mwahahaha. Should be an entertaining car with some practicality and plenty of character. I’ve previously owned a 205gti and this is quite reminiscent in many respects. Other cars (most recent to earliest): Galant VR4; Laser TX3 4wd; S series valiant; 205 gti. I also get to drive around in a XT forester so I was a bit worried with my response to the 172 – wo ist die turbo? But no worries there….This site looks good in terms of info, activity and friendliness. Hope to see you around. (Oh yes, and special thanks to deb] and esport for sorting out my activation)

Glad its all sorted :mrgreen:

A very warm welcome to OzRS

welcome raku!

Out of curiosity, how do you find the XT? I love the combo of its performance and practicality. Does it feel much quicker (in a straight line, that is :) )? I imagine it's the manual? As when I last had a look/read (2 years ago) the auto was not well suited at all?

yep, the XT is a manual & the "2nd" xt version (GT, XT, XT & now new forester XT). The first model XT was really one to watch on corners and felt like it would cheerfully tuck in the front and roll if you weren't careful - definitely a slow in and hard out car. The 2nd xt s much better, actually allowing some corner speed although obviously soft suspension and higher centre of gravity mean its noting like the 172. In a straight line the XT is quick but I don't know that it is that much quicker:0-100 for the xt is quoted at 6.4 and I've been reading (must be on this forum!) that the 172 is quoted at 7.2 with some people recording quicker times. Being lower the 172 feels faster. The xt is a nice powerful beastie that can take a reasonable amount of gear (& has cruise control...), good vision, etc. In the front plenty of room. If you were 4 up (adults) I think you might be uncomfortable in the back if it was a long trip. Petrol I think is around 14/100km in the xt, altho better in the latest model. The xt would be a good family wagon, or daily driver if you were prepared to live without corners.

Welcome for another Adelaidian. See you at the next outing :wink: Keep an eye on the social section.

I'm passing you way tomorrow but will be going the 'back way' to Roseworthy :wink:

Enjoy the car.

Cheers,

Mase

Griffyn, indirectly yes. the cat's name is raku, named by one of my brother's ex's who was doing an arts course including pottery. Reasonably distinctive and useful for this activity altho i could always try "get out from beneath my effing feet".

G'day Raku!! (what's your name?)

Great to see another SA member.

You're close enough to come long to our frequent northern hills drives. I'm at Para Hills, and Mase is just up the road a bit closer to the hills.

We occasionally do a Barossa drive, so we can pick you up aling the way :)

Welcome! :)

yep, the XT is a manual & the "2nd" xt version (GT, XT, XT & now new forester XT). The first model XT was really one to watch on corners and felt like it would cheerfully tuck in the front and roll if you weren't careful - definitely a slow in and hard out car. The 2nd xt s much better, actually allowing some corner speed although obviously soft suspension and higher centre of gravity mean its noting like the 172. In a straight line the XT is quick but I don't know that it is that much quicker:0-100 for the xt is quoted at 6.4 and I've been reading (must be on this forum!) that the 172 is quoted at 7.2 with some people recording quicker times. Being lower the 172 feels faster. The xt is a nice powerful beastie that can take a reasonable amount of gear (& has cruise control...), good vision, etc. In the front plenty of room. If you were 4 up (adults) I think you might be uncomfortable in the back if it was a long trip. Petrol I think is around 14/100km in the xt, altho better in the latest model. The xt would be a good family wagon, or daily driver if you were prepared to live without corners.

You pretty much summed it all up - I reckon it's quite the sleeper, esp. with those MRT mods :shock::)