Meg 265 Headlight - LED upgrade options

weather

Dont listen to them! haha

I have put LED globes into my headlights on my facelift 265 (and so have many other forum members). Admittedly, they will never be as great as bi-xenon's but then its a preference thing. I much prefer the look of the facelift over the older look. I was happy to forgo better headlights at night for a car that i think looks better. So each to their own.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jberth1 said:

Meg 3 PH1 bi-xenons are the best. One reason I didn't buy a facelift !

Cheers

Justin

Excuse my ignorance however this IS my first Renault - how do you know if you have a facelift Meg 3 RS265? 

Have a look at the avatar in my username and jberth1's avatar, the headlights receive a different treatment and your Reno badge is larger than ours. jim60t and yours are the same though I'm unsure if his is a 265 or 275.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hengeli said:

Have a look at the avatar in my username and jberth1's avatar, the headlights receive a different treatment and your Reno badge is larger than ours. jim60t and yours are the same though I'm unsure if his is a 265 or 275.

Gotcha...thanks.  As  a tid bit I just read an Australian drive.com review where the journo said he thinks the pre-facelift 265 was the sweet spot in the range....hmmm.

We can probably speak freely these days about LED globe updates without backlash 😁. It's a long story @weather!

Anyway, simple answer to the post is you can install LED replacement globes and they should be a positive addition, but, there are LED's and there are LED's you do get what you pay for. $10 ebay specials will likely be rubbish, a number if us have tried middle of the road globes with good results, in the $40-$50 range. You can get replacements from names like Narva and Philips to name a few which will cost more but will likely be very good too.

Without wanting to reopen a huge can of worms, all of this needs to be prefaced with the fact that LED swaps are not technically legal on a road car, yet.

For the record I have one of each, a pre and a post facelift. My pre facelift car I upgraded to Bi-Xenon headlights and they are outstanding. The newer car will be unlikely to ever see the road at night so headlights are a non issue.

Edited by Matt205
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/06/2022 at 6:14 AM, Matt205 said:

We can probably speak freely these days about LED globe updates without backlash 😁. It's a long story @weather!

Anyway, simple answer to the post is you can install LED replacement globes and they should be a positive addition, but, there are LED's and there are LED's you do get what you pay for. $10 ebay specials will likely be rubbish, a number if us have tried middle of the road globes with good results, in the $40-$50 range. You can get replacements from names like Narva and Philips to name a few which will cost more but will likely be very good too.

Without wanting to reopen a huge can of worms, all of this needs to be prefaced with the fact that LED swaps are not technically legal on a road car, yet.

For the record I have one of each, a pre and a post facelift. My pre facelift car I upgraded to Bi-Xenon headlights and they are outstanding. The newer car will be unlikely to ever see the road at night so headlights are a non issue.

Very interesting, thanks for the great detail. 

On 6/6/2022 at 10:28 PM, weather said:

I am very keen to explore what options one has to upgrade Meg 3 265 headlights from the abysmal halo's to LED. Wondering if anyone has managed to do this?  Cheers..

If you have the Facelifted halogen projector may I advise getting them adjusted? My mechanic noticed they point extremely low from the factory when I first showed him the car (as my car was brand new at the time) and used his alignment tool to set up the beam. Visibility improved dramatically. That would be my first step before doing any upgrades

15 hours ago, xevman said:

If you have the Facelifted halogen projector may I advise getting them adjusted? My mechanic noticed they point extremely low from the factory when I first showed him the car (as my car was brand new at the time) and used his alignment tool to set up the beam. Visibility improved dramatically. That would be my first step before doing any upgrades

Really good point, thanks -will do.

On 08/06/2022 at 6:14 AM, Matt205 said:

Very interesting, thanks for the great detail. 

• 10 months later...

Fitted STEDI replacement LED globes to low beam (265 update).  They are a drop-in replacement and work a treat.  They also do a high beam drop-in replacement as well but I haven't fitted these yet.  They are expensive but very good quality and have an in-built cooling fan for longevity.  WWW.STEDI.com.au.  Aust company based in Melbourne.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2023 at 9:32 PM, Bean511 said:

Fitted STEDI replacement LED globes to low beam (265 update).  They are a drop-in replacement and work a treat.  They also do a high beam drop-in replacement as well but I haven't fitted these yet.  They are expensive but very good quality and have an in-built cooling fan for longevity.  WWW.STEDI.com.au.  Aust company based in Melbourne.

hey bro, i Just check their website and the ones they had available for a megane seem very complicated to fit according to this installation video 

Did you have to do a similar installation, seems very messy TBH. 

This is about as as easy, seamless and clean installation as you can get. I had these in my 275 but wasnt super impressed with their light output in the facelift projector. I've now switched to quality 35w HIDs and am much happier.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:56 PM, xevman said:

This is about as as easy, seamless and clean installation as you can get. I had these in my 275 but wasnt super impressed with their light output in the facelift projector. I've now switched to quality 35w HIDs and am much happier.

Is that35w HID xenon? I thought you couldn’t use xenons on the facelift. 

On 06/05/2023 at 5:40 PM, Sansari said:

Is that35w HID xenon? I thought you couldn’t use xenons on the facelift. 

you can with an aftermarket kit, just make sure you get a high quality one and not some cheap rubbish and have the lights professionally adjusted

• Like 1