Saying Hello and I think my car maybe a bit odd.

BC001

Thought it was about time I join the forum .

I have a 2002 172 . Its been with me for the past 6 years its been a great little car it been unregistered for the past 4 year and has been in my shed.

So its time to put her back on the road.  

One thing I need to ask. This car I believe is a bit odd. It has no ABS or ESP which I believe most Phase 2 do.

Due to this it also runs the speedo from the gearbox like a phase 1 not off the ABS as a phase 2 does. 

Has anyone seen this or has a car similar ?

my clio.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me its a July 2002. It was very well looked after by its first owner The guy I brought it from almost sent it to the junk yard in the 6 months he had it. He just drove it into the ground. In that 6 months he put 26k on it and I don't think he spent a cent on it.

I thought the early ones had yellow not clear indicators on the front guards, like this 02 172 I picked up on Saturday

97EC2466-50F0-49C8-918E-1B6D04EC5A96.png

Edited by 63x1092
  • Like 1

What makes you think it doesn't have ABS?

Perfectly normal spec (assuming it does have ABS). The first series of Ph2's that came here didn't have esp and still had the gearbox speed sensor but did have ABS.

I have a 2002 build here in that spec, just converted it to get the speed signal from the ABS computer instead of the gearbox sensor. My old 172, Dimples, was the same.

I think the only non ABS equipped PH2 was the UK spec 'Cup', one could have snuck in as a private import I suppose.

Edited by Matt205

I have had the car in bits it has no ABS rings on the rears unless some put the wrong ones on. When I replaced them I remove them as there was none on it. I also don't get any errors from the car.

Edited by BC001

I am going to have a look. When I first got it I replaced all the rota's the rears had no rings so I assumed it had no ABS for what ever reason. My guess put them on because that's what they had or they ordered the wrong part etc and did what ever they need to to get rid of the error. Anyone got a hint on how you would disable the ABS?

Thanks

I suppose you could use something like the Can Clip tool or DDT4ALL to electronically disable the ABS. That would be a pretty hardcore solution though for just buying the wrong parts.

It would be more likely (and way simpler) to open the cluster and physically disable the warning light.

My final thought is, and it's been ages since I played with Clio rear brakes, does the early PH2 even run sensors/rings on the rear? Maybe the addition of ESP also added the rears sensors? ESP relies on a signal from all four wheels, perhaps the ABS is only worried about front wheel locking?