First time Clio IV owner

NeedRS

Hi all,

I'm so pleased to have found this forum: having spent the last few days down the rabbit hole that is OZRS, I am blown away by how much knowledge there is in here!

Anyway thought it was time to come up for air and say "hi".

I purchased my first Renault (a 2014 Clio IV 200 EDC Cup in LY)  two months ago, and I've been loving it - especially through the corners.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, NeedRS said:

I thought you might say that! Unfortunately, my first pic isn't a great one... an engine failure has put her back in the garage for a few days.

Clio IV_3.jpg

Engine failure - what happened ???

I should probably start a new thread on the engine issue... I don't want to scare off any other newbies!

I'm waiting to understand what actually happened and why. I was driving onto a freeway, felt the engine drop followed by an immediate loss of power and a big oil spill.

Was towed to a service centre and they are still trying to figure it out but engine has a hole in it and needs to be replaced. They've been pretty good so far and I'm hopeful it'll be sorted.

I'll post more details as I get them as I'm sure I'll need to pick your brains.

• Sad 2

Do you think you’re  covered for an engine replacement because it’ll be a massive hit to your pocket with second hand engines quoted at $3500 then labour on top ?

12 hours ago, NeedRS said:

I should probably start a new thread on the engine issue... I don't want to scare off any other newbies!

I'm waiting to understand what actually happened and why. I was driving onto a freeway, felt the engine drop followed by an immediate loss of power and a big oil spill.

Was towed to a service centre and they are still trying to figure it out but engine has a hole in it and needs to be replaced. They've been pretty good so far and I'm hopeful it'll be sorted.

I'll post more details as I get them as I'm sure I'll need to pick your brains.

Wow! Hole in the engine sounds like its thrown a conrod; has anyone ever heard of a Clio IV doing this?

Hopefully the repair won't be too expensive...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 63x1092 said:

Do you think you’re  covered for an engine replacement because it’ll be a massive hit to your pocket with second hand engines quoted at $3500 then labour on top ?

Luckily covered under used car stat warranty. Dealer has been fair and said they'd replace it. Hopefully with a new engine and no drop in performance.

I'm keen to understand what the failure was though and what caused it, and whether there's anything else going on that I should be aware of. Will know more next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeedRS said:

Luckily covered under used car stat warranty. Dealer has been fair and said they'd replace it. Hopefully with a new engine and no drop in performance.

I'm keen to understand what the failure was though and what caused it, and whether there's anything else going on that I should be aware of. Will know more next week.

never heard of this on a ClioIV before, except for the cold side pipe they are very reliable

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Stiggy said:

As someone looking to buy a Clio 200 next week this thread has scared me 

This would be a very very rare issue. Mine's been flawless with lots of power and 80000km. There's been no mention of this since the car's been released in Australia and a lot of members have them. 

Do you have a link to the one you're interested in?

Edited by chuckovski

5 hours ago, chuckovski said:

This would be a very very rare issue. Mine's been flawless with lots of power and 80000km. There's been no mention of this since the car's been released in Australia and a lot of members have them. 

Do you have a link to the one you're interested in?

That's good to know. The one im looking at is a Clio rs 200 Sport 2014 ~50kkms however I still need to find out details regarding the timing chain before I go for it. 

Also what price do you think is reasonable for it? 

Edited by Stiggy
Spelling

47 minutes ago, Stiggy said:

That's good to know. The one im looking at is a Clio rs 200 Sport 2014 ~50kkms however I still need to find out details regarding the timing chain before I go for it. 

Also what price do you think is reasonable for it? 

So hard to say in this climate. Probably $16K? 

Just depends on service history really. I think most issues on these cars are due to idiots doing crap all, or the wrong crap on these cars (side pipe excepted). 

I wouldn't let mine go for under $21K, and it's the same year with more km, but a lot of work too. 

Colour might weigh in a bit with the price too - I love the red and liquid yellow. Other colours would fetch less. 

On 12/06/2021 at 8:25 PM, eight said:

Nothing to be scared of.

I'm suspecting drain plug wasn't tighten when serviced.

Any news @ NeedRS?

Yes - sorry for not coming back with an update sooner. I took the car back to the dealer as it was under stat warranty. They found a hole in the engine and "lots of broken bits" but couldn't tell me how it happened. They did sort me out with a replacement engine though - with less than half the broken one's kms and a 6 month warranty. Car drives beautifully now and - touch wood - no further issues.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/06/2021 at 10:38 AM, woot woot said:

Did it have a flash tune? Most off the shelf tunes are not 100% perfect

Not that I knew of - but having had the ECU mapped to the replacement engine I'm wondering if it did. That said, there's no other mods on it so (for now) it's a stock Cup Trophy.

@Stiggy I really hope my experience doesn't put you off buying what is a little ripper of a car. If you do buy your Clio 200 I'm sure you won't regret it. Mine blew it's engine after two months - and I still don't regret it. I think it was just a random and rare case of bad luck. I don't know what caused the fault but I do know that she's driving beautifully now and puts a smile on my face eveytime I get behind the wheel.

Edited by NeedRS