Just bought an RS250 (Brisbane)

michaeltt

Hey all,

I managed to pick up an RS250 Cup Trophy this Monday and am enjoying it so far (or will be once this rain goes away). I'm quite impressed with this community and am keen to get involved in some of the local events!

Other than the factory options the car is mostly stock, and I'm now figuring out the best bang-for-buck mods for spirited driving and some track days without breaking the bank (e.g. $1-1.5k). Other than a new set of Pilot Sport 4Ses that I'll get fitted in the next couple weeks, it seems like a stage 1 tune (probably the Bluefin for $650 right now), resonator delete (it is currently a little on the sedate sounding side), short shift mod, panel filter are all worthwhile. From my reading it feels like the jury is split on upgrading the intercooler, what about the downpipe, forge recirculation valve, or decat, and what are the benefits here (and need for an additional stage 2 tune - will the bluefin stage 2 map suffice)? Would love to get an idea of what the path (and cost) looks like.

Looking forward to meeting some of you!

IMG_8520.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats on the purchase Michael! Sounds like you're on the right track with the basic mods from what I've seen. I'd recommend enjoying the car for a bit though and getting to know the car better before jumping straight to mods. Renault did a pretty good job out of the box.

• Like 1

Welcome!

Ive had three Megane Mk3’s. Brilliant cars. Honestly, all I’ve done to them has been a Bluefin Stage 1 tune, resonator delete, engine mounts, better pads and Michelin tyres. They are close to perfect standard, all they need is slightly more poke and plenty of good tyres! 

• Like 2

Yep, I'll throw down for keeping it simple. Short shifter is a waste of time and effort in my opinion, owners seem to rave generally, but personally found it made the shift baulky and awkward, there's really nothing wrong with it, a mod for mods sale in my opionon. I would strongly suggest you drive someones car with the mod before you commit.

I went down a totally different path with mine.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard from another Brisbane-RS-Trophee-er.

Agree with the above - the basic mods as planned are incredible bang for the buck.  Diminishing returns after that given the costs for intercoolers/downpipes/BOV (and proper dyno tune to suit).  And there's only so much power the tyres can take - traction can already be an issue with the mods planned.

Removing the catalytic converter on a road car is pointless and heavy fines (rightly) apply - think 5 figure sums.  But if you're desperate to wring those last few kW out and are getting some exhaust work done anyway you could have a high flow cat installed for a few hundred bucks.

Cheers again!

Andrew.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks everyone, I’ll spend a bit more time stock before I make a call on a sports cat + stage 2 vs stage 1 bluefin only. I’ll be getting some Michelin PS4Ss thrown on soon and will be ready for a track day - hopefully see some of you soon!

9 hours ago, michaeltt said:

Awesome, thanks everyone, I’ll spend a bit more time stock before I make a call on a sports cat + stage 2 vs stage 1 bluefin only. I’ll be getting some Michelin PS4Ss thrown on soon and will be ready for a track day - hopefully see some of you soon!

Good choice on the tyres. Arguably a better investment than jumping straight to mods. :D 

I bought my RS250 Cup Trophee back in December and it had an intake, res delete and I've done a Bluefin Stage 1 to it. It came with Michelin tyres on it as well. 

I was booked in to do a Motorkhana at Lakeside with Skid Control but had to go to Phillip Island for work. Will be rescheduling to a later date. 

Enjoy the car!

congrats on the purchase

I reckon the best bang for buck on the RS250 is adding a rear anti sway bar, Super Pro Adjustable - they even make them in QLD

It improves the turn in on the car, if you like the handling neutral run it on the soft setting, if you prefer more over steer, run it on the hard setting.