Dealer Sold Me a Different Clio to What they Advertised!!!

nitram42

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2014 Renault Clio R.S. Cup Trophy from a dealer in Sydney. I live in Brisbane and because of border restrictions couldn't see the vehicle in person. But it had 20k kms, an excellent service history and was from a reputable dealer. I received the car a couple weeks ago. After not being able to set up automatic stop and start, it all started piecing together... Renault sport badge in the door frame, rs on the seats, no trophy branding anywhere... I had been sold a Cup Premium instead of a Cup Trophy. All documents and advertising said a Cup Trophy. I understand the differences between these two models aren't extreme, but I was really wanting the trophy chassis. 

That brings me to you guys. I will be seeking compensation for the discrepancy in value, but I am not sure exactly how much the price would vary. I bought this for $19k

TIA

Hi Tia - can you shed some more light (perhaps photos etc) of what you thought you were getting and what you got?

A Cup Premium and a Cup Trophy are essentially the same thing. There was a name change circa-2015. The Cup part of the name refers to the chassis, whilst the Premium/Trophy name refers to the spec (interior etc). From 2014 there were 4 options in the Clio:

- Sport (base model)
- Cup (base model with black 18s and Cup suspension)
- Sport Trophy (top spec model with Sport chassis)
- Cup Trophy (top spec model with Cup suspension)

Later on there was a 220 Trophy which had more power, some cosmetic differences and revised suspension (and gearbox tune).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nitram42 said:

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2014 Renault Clio R.S. Cup Trophy from a dealer in Sydney. I live in Brisbane and because of border restrictions couldn't see the vehicle in person. But it had 20k kms, an excellent service history and was from a reputable dealer. I received the car a couple weeks ago. After not being able to set up automatic stop and start, it all started piecing together... Renault sport badge in the door frame, rs on the seats, no trophy branding anywhere... I had been sold a Cup Premium instead of a Cup Trophy. All documents and advertising said a Cup Trophy. I understand the differences between these two models aren't extreme, but I was really wanting the trophy chassis. 

That brings me to you guys. I will be seeking compensation for the discrepancy in value, but I am not sure exactly how much the price would vary. I bought this for $19k

TIA

As far as I understand it, the Phase 1 Clio IV RS (2014-2016) didnt have Stop Start, but the Phase 2  (2017-2019) did.

13 hours ago, walkie86 said:

Hi Tia - can you shed some more light (perhaps photos etc) of what you thought you were getting and what you got?

A Cup Premium and a Cup Trophy are essentially the same thing. There was a name change circa-2015. The Cup part of the name refers to the chassis, whilst the Premium/Trophy name refers to the spec (interior etc). From 2014 there were 4 options in the Clio:

- Sport (base model)

Later on there was a 220 Trophy which had more power, some cosmetic differences and revised suspension (and gearbox tune).

I did consider this as a possibility. I didn't think premium models existed pre-2015/16. But then when I did some research finding model prices they apparently did, according to redbook and carsales listings.

So what it seems like is the 2014 trophy phased into the new premium and the newer trophy was given a couple more features. 

I was going off a spec sheet that listed the different features, looking at it again I found it is from 2015. 

Thanks for clearing this up!

• Like 1

I didn't think the Trophy came out until after 2015 - and the version of the Sport and the Cup with the leatherish trim and the reversing camera were called 'Premium', ie Sport Premium and Cup Premium - while the cloth seats were called Sport and Cup..  Whereas the Trophy was just called the Trophy and were defined by the seats with the integrated headrest as well as a bigger turbo.  It is confusing though...

15 hours ago, walkie86 said:

- Sport (base model)

Yes, the model name changed in 2015 from the Cup Trophy to the Cup Premium due to the 220 Trophy being released. The only Phase 1 RS Clio IV with stop/start was the 220 Trophy.

220 Trophy also had different steering rack, air intake, turbo and exhaust. It also had more torque (280Nm) in the upper gears. The regular Phase 2 Clio Sport and Cup got the torque increase (and software update), but not the extra power (162kW in the 220). The Phase 2 220 Trophy is mechanically identical to the Phase 1 220, except for the Akrapovic exhaust (this does not give any extra power or torque).

• Like 1

Hi Tia, for peace of mind you could contact Renault and give them your VIN to confirm the identity.  An official email would give  you bargaining power should you seek redress.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar thing ALMOST happened to us. Went to a car shop in Sydney. They had a 275 cup listed as a trophy. First impression was it definitely wasn't a trophy due to not having stickers and when I told them this they said sometimes owners remove the stickers which is fair enough. The other thing I noticed was the seats were not recaros and when I asked the dealer he said the previous owner took them out and replaced them with more comfortable seats. Hmmm. Possible, I suppose. The final thing I noticed (being a novice with this model) was the white stitching on the handbrake lever which was different to the red seat stitching. That was when I put two and two together and came up with 275 cup. They still insisted it was a trophy edition. By then, I just walked away.