Megane 265 Cup Question from a Newbie

MetalHead

Hi All,
Looking to buy a Megane 265 Cup.
Can you experienced Guys and Gals .. Give me a few pointers to look out for?
looking at a 2013 / 2014.
Timing Belt.. That i am aware of..
cheers
Marco
Great choice!
I suggest you let us know what you're looking at, post up the link, and we'll comment.
Can't think of much off the top of my head, but if you're looking at pre facelift then the nomenclature is confusing and the cars are consequently often misadvertised, which often means you can get a bargain, or bargain down some sellers.

2 hours ago, MetalHead said:

Hi All,
Looking to buy a Megane 265 Cup.
Can you experienced Guys and Gals .. Give me a few pointers to look out for?
looking at a 2013 / 2014.
Timing Belt.. That i am aware of..
cheers
Marco

Unless you really like the look of 19" steeve wheel........... which I am and brought one with.........

I would suggest the 18" wheel because :
1) Australia road sucks (I mean really sucks) sometime, 18" thicker side wall makes it a bit more comfortable
2) Tyres are much cheaper (much more common tyre size share with other cars)

Also, don't be too obsessed with Recaro CS, they aren't true bucket seat, especially the leather one, it doesn't hold you that well (compare to my previous Bride Lowmax .....)

By your 2013/2014 I believe you arfe looking at a pre-facelift version, try finding one iwth factory xenon light, they are brilliant.
My facelift headlight sucks even with LED aftermarket light installed (even my wife corolla with standard halogen light beats my Megane.........sucks)

• Like 1

Personally the 18 v. 19 thing is a bit of a beat up, I went from 18 to 19 and sure the ride is a little firmer but far from harsh, and frankly if that is a problem you're looking at the wrong car. Also tyre cost, meh, I think "way cheaper" is a stretch. Only valid reason in my book is more availability of semi slicks in 18's. Tyre for tyre a smaller sidewall will always win in the handling Dept.

Rant over.

Echoing the positive comments above a solid choice for sure. Service history is always nice to have, as is knowing who looked after it. Belts are key of course, but equally them being done properly is too. They really are pretty bullet proof if looked after, my 250 has ticked over 170k's and going strong, I know of at least one that is north of 200 and tight as a drum and goes hard with a tune. Slightly rough running will likely be plugs, sometimes wrong plugs installed or just not replaced on time. Engine mounts are known to fail, but easily resolved. Beyond that it's just the regular niggles that come with a car thats a few years old, the horror stories you hear about French cars are just not true.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ambrose said:

Unless you really like the look of 19" steeve wheel........... which I am and brought one with.........

I would suggest the 18" wheel because :
1) Australia road sucks (I mean really sucks) sometime, 18" thicker side wall makes it a bit more comfortable
2) Tyres are much cheaper (much more common tyre size share with other cars)

Also, don't be too obsessed with Recaro CS, they aren't true bucket seat, especially the leather one, it doesn't hold you that well (compare to my previous Bride Lowmax .....)

By your 2013/2014 I believe you arfe looking at a pre-facelift version, try finding one iwth factory xenon light, they are brilliant.
My facelift headlight sucks even with LED aftermarket light installed (even my wife corolla with standard halogen light beats my Megane.........sucks)

Huh? Recaros not a true bucket seat? I think that depends on your size. If you’re built like a jockey you’ll slide a bit, but for me, they are a perfect fit and very comfortable too.

No issue with 19s either - 245/35 is a common size for big sedans and will fit the 8.25 inch rim.

There are so many deals around you can get decent tyres at reasonable prices. Bridgestone often do four for the price of three and RE003s are great. 

• Like 3

I found the difference between 18" and 19" very small but enough to make a difference when driving on awful roads. Reduced sphincter-tightening crashy-ness to "oh that was a bad bit of road" banging. On good roads, no issues ever with 19".

Mind you you can always get slightly bigger tyres on the 19s as many on the forum have, which allow for a bit more profile and comfort.

As for the Recaros, they're the same as in the Focus RS I have, which I love. I still liked the leather electric seats though. Just try them out and figure out what is non-negotiable and what you are happy to settle with.

8 hours ago, speedfiend41 said:

Huh? Recaros not a true bucket seat? I think that depends on your size. If you’re built like a jockey you’ll slide a bit, but for me, they are a perfect fit and very comfortable too.

No issue with 19s either - 245/35 is a common size for big sedans and will fit the 8.25 inch rim.

There are so many deals around you can get decent tyres at reasonable prices. Bridgestone often do four for the price of three and RE003s are great. 

Try google a Bride Low max....... and imagine I have been in that for 8 years then move to the Recaro CS.
I am not saying its not good, it makes more sense for everyday driving (but I already get use to getting in and out of the low max), but in terms of body hugging capability, I certainly prefer the low max, as I don't need to use my knee to hold my lower body.

And yes, I am of a bigger build, so itf you are small, I am sure you won't find it as an issue.

I don't mind the 19" too , which I have, but I drive pass Toorak road daily and some of the non stop bumps there are annoying.

6 hours ago, chuckovski said:

I found the difference between 18" and 19" very small but enough to make a difference when driving on awful roads. Reduced sphincter-tightening crashy-ness to "oh that was a bad bit of road" banging. On good roads, no issues ever with 19".

Mind you you can always get slightly bigger tyres on the 19s as many on the forum have, which allow for a bit more profile and comfort.

As for the Recaros, they're the same as in the Focus RS I have, which I love. I still liked the leather electric seats though. Just try them out and figure out what is non-negotiable and what you are happy to settle with.

I never came across anyone saying a bigger tyre for the 19 yet, so I can opt for say... 245/35 R19 without issue?

Edited by Ambrose

Just now, chuckovski said:
5 minutes ago, Ambrose said:
I never came across anyone saying a bigger tyre for the 19 yet, so I can opt for say... 245/35 R19 without issue?

Couldn't say for sure - never did it personally

I did. No issues.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ambrose said:

Try google a Bride Low max....... and imagine I have been in that for 8 years then move to the Recaro CS.
I am not saying its not good, it makes more sense for everyday driving (but I already get use to getting in and out of the low max), but in terms of body hugging capability, I certainly prefer the low max, as I don't need to use my knee to hold my lower body.

And yes, I am of a bigger build, so itf you are small, I am sure you won't find it as an issue.

I don't mind the 19" too , which I have, but I drive pass Toorak road daily and some of the non stop bumps there are annoying.

You’re comparing a race seat with a premium road/track day seat. Of course it’ll have lower bolsters. It’s also far easier to have in a daily driver.
Climbing in and out of Recaro Pole Positions in my Trophy R was a pain in the arse. Once you’re in - brilliant. Getting there several times a day can be trying.  They also don’t recline - not the best if you want to access the rear seats!

• Haha 1

On 16/02/2020 at 6:06 PM, speedfiend41 said:

You’re comparing a race seat with a premium road/track day seat. Of course it’ll have lower bolsters. It’s also far easier to have in a daily driver.
Climbing in and out of Recaro Pole Positions in my Trophy R was a pain in the arse. Once you’re in - brilliant. Getting there several times a day can be trying.  They also don’t recline - not the best if you want to access the rear seats!

Never been in a pole position, so I can't comment on that.

But between my old lowmax and the CS, I actually prefer the low max in terms of getting in and out, may be I got used to the super low position and having my right hand to assist, pushing or lowing myself in and out of it.

Where the CS I found it either hard to use my right hand to assist getting in and out yet my bum still getting caught on it all the time.

Edited by Ambrose

I suspect the update headlights would be much better with 'illegal' led globes. Steevs look better in all black, but that's a personal taste thing. I live with Pole positions everyday and have no complaints, had CS's and found them to be comfortable too.

19 hours ago, RedMistVIP said:

Facelift headlights suck.... So badly...  Can't see much at night... The 19 inch steevs look like shit in my opinion..

Grab yourself a cheap pair of LED from ebay, or even better get someone install a HID, at least 300% better than standard Halogen.

16 hours ago, Matt205 said:

Actually my advise would be buy some not so cheap LED's ~$50 for a pair, better than HID's.

Depends on how cheap you refering XD.

I got this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H7-LED-Conversion-Car-Headlight-Bulb-9000LM-Conversion-Globes-Bulb-6000K-Hi-Low/392587072169?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Works for me.

I would recommend the RS265 RB8. If you can find a good, well maintained one of those they are a great car loaded with all the fruit, bi xenons, cs recaros (in my opinion the most comfortable seats I have ever had in a car and I am 195cm 112kg) 19" wheels plus many more options.  I only got out of mine to buy a mental trophy R. 

Edited by Aussierb8
  • Like 1

A few of us purchased the Nighteye, now called Novsight brand. Important to find ones with quality csp chips mounted in the Centerline of the globe body, 6000k or less anything higher will be too blue, look cheesy and attract unwanted attention I suspect.

There'sa whole thread on this subject that got a little heated around legality, I'm not commentating further on that subject, but I know from my own experience that quality LED globes will not dazzle other drivers, the light pattern is identical in my case to a halogen, just better light output.