New 265 owner with a few questions

Flex5150

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Meg 3 265  and loving it. But of course the mods start now right? A few questions if I could ...and yes Ive search the forum at length   Jeez there's lots of info but I'm mainly hitting Clio data?

I  intend to vinyl wrap the roof  and was wondering  is the end  the aerial clips  to the loom accessible from the inspection door on the drivers side of the boot  or do I need to remove the  boot skin?

Also has anyone had success with spacers and extended bolts if so where did you get them  and what type. Id like to come out 10 to 15mm on the back  maybe 5 on the front.

Finally  which mechanic / tuners are recommended in the inner  or outer eastern suburbs of Melb

thanks in advance

Flex.

On 06/08/2019 at 8:24 PM, Flex5150 said:

Also has anyone had success with spacers and extended bolts if so where did you get them  and what type. Id like to come out 10 to 15mm on the back  maybe 5 on the front.

I've fitted 20mm spacers front and rear on my car 

Front 20mm spacers

47332697581_b0473c3c60_c.jpg

Rear 20mm spacers

40367495503_53ddcd0a6c_c.jpg

20mm spacers on the rear are perfect. 20mm on the front is a bit too aggressive. I've actually removed the spacers at the moment (took them off for the RenoTech track day) and have not yet refitted them.

I'll refit the rear 20mm spacers. On the front i'll look to install 10mm spacers. You interested in a pair of 20mm spacers and low profile wheel bolts to suit? (I dont need 2 sets of them)

6 hours ago, jim60t said:

Front 20mm spacers

Rear 20mm spacers

20mm spacers on the rear are perfect. 20mm on the front is a bit too aggressive. I've actually removed the spacers at the moment (took them off for the RenoTech track day) and have not yet refitted them.

I'll refit the rear 20mm spacers. On the front i'll look to install 10mm spacers. You interested in a pair of 20mm spacers and low profile wheel bolts to suit? (I dont need 2 sets of them)

What sort of dollars you chasing for them

Are they the hub centric type that bolt to disk then use a second set of bolts to fix wheel on 

22 hours ago, vedran said:

https://etunersmotorsport.com.au/

they do services and tuning :) 22/21 Mills Rd, Dandenong VIC 3175

These guys make big power but expect frequent piston knock and high temps

(Only speaking for my own experience)

11 hours ago, steve said:

Are they the hub centric type that bolt to disk then use a second set of bolts to fix wheel on 

They are hub centric with studs on them. I'll include the chrome wheel nuts so you can hold the wheels to the spacer.

You can't use the factory wheel bolts to hold the spacer onto the hub as the head of the wheel bolt is too high and will touch the wheel. To fit these, you will need low-profile replacement wheel bolts

46417858235_638e96faca_c.jpg

47332698911_b5354bedc5_c.jpg

(sorry to spam the OP's thread - but thought it would be good to show pics of the spacers and whats needed to fit them if you decide to go down this path) 

On 08/08/2019 at 11:17 AM, jim60t said:

Front 20mm spacers

Rear 20mm spacers

Those rear spacers are... 🤤

Do they compromise the handling at all?

19 hours ago, chris350Z said:

Do they compromise the handling at all

No, I don't think it does make any difference.

The rears you can't tell if they are on or not. The fronts, with 20mm spacers, makes the steering a little heavier. But that's about the only difference I noticed 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chris350Z said:

Do they compromise the handling at all?

Probably not but they do compromise your roadworthiness, insurance and wallet if you get caught with them.  Not being judgemental - you guys can do what you want - but they are not a legal modification in any state of Australia in case you weren't aware.

GT220 only has the single mode as before, but has a whopping mid range.

So, merging onto the Gore Hill freeway which was already fun before, is now epic.

Biggest difference between the two is that the GT220 is silent compared to the 265, so having a peek at the speedo confirms that everyone else isn't doing the 40kmh and that yes, you have picked up speed really quickly.

The 265 has more power in normal, possibly what was available in sport before. Again, it's felt in the mid range with extra torque kicking in from about 2500rpm.

Switching to sport and you get the noticeable bump up as before, with the throttle reacting more quickly.

In sport, the mid range bump keeps building right up until redline which is also reached a hell of a lot faster.

Fuel economy in both cars has improved significantly, with the 265 now having zero difference between normal and sport modes and sitting consistently on 10L/100.

Previously it was 12 in normal and high 13s in sport. The GT220 just sits on low 10s and doesn't change, also down from mid 12s.

@DOOOOK wrote up a great timeline of his experiences with "tuning" on the Renault Club Facebook page, clearly outlining how he had stepped his way along with each type of tune (remote VS on dyno) and their application for each situation.

I am happily staying on the first step with no further mods being applied to any of my current cars and only an occasional track day, if any, in the 265.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Edited by Safetyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...