Crossing over from VTEC to RS?

mryangtastic

Hi Oz RS! 

My name is Jacky. I reside in the northern beaches of Sydney. 

I like cars, but FWD is what I am most familiar with. I currently own a 05 Honda Civic Type R of 4 years, first Australian owner. I have also bought 2 x silver MX5 NB8As (yes, two. I missed the first one so much, I bought another. In the same body and colour!). 

Anyway, reason why I'm here. I drove a mate's Megane RS 250 Cup. (I didn't tell him I'm joining the forum, but he might find me on here - ha!) Went for a drive up to the Broke area via Putty Road and was amazed. I can understand why the Megane RS is so good! 
It was a like grown up, advanced version of my Civic. Yes, the screaming VTEC was missing, but it made new and different sounds! 
I've fed the experience back to my brother (owner of 98 Integra Type R) and I think we're willing to acquire one in the near future. Either we sell the Integra Type R or we purchase a third front wheel drive warrior!
I would like to understand more about the RS world. If someone has ever switched from the Honda scene in to Renaults, please contact me! 

So to end it here, here's a few snaps from today's Putty drive. Because images always make a post better. :)

KhuOFgjh.jpg

CQQdib3h.jpg

4jqxY6Uh.jpg

9xGqSKXh.jpg

S06k6EIh.jpg

Thanks, 

Jacky :) 

Edited by mryangtastic
  • Like 1

Welcome Jacky.

I was in a similar situation at the start of this year. I had a 2001 Integra Type R (also considered buying an EP3!) and sold it for a 2010 Megane RS250 Trophy.

Aside from missing the sound of vtec at 8800rpm and maybe turning a few heads around town, the Megane is hands down the better car. I still miss the Integra on some days but as a whole, no regrets at all.

Things I love most is the steering feel, pedal placement (heal-toe is so easy), actually having torque and the sheer pace of the thing. Through a twisty road, there’s nothing that can really keep pace I’ve found (except for my mate in his RS250 haha). Such good performance right out of the box and no real compromise as a daily driver.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about moving from Honda to Renault.

Here’s a pic for nostalgias sake :wink:

0e7be949f8d2e396f4b91915c88e7eec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, t_bund said:

Welcome Jacky.

I was in a similar situation at the start of this year. I had a 2001 Integra Type R (also considered buying an EP3!) and sold it for a 2010 Megane RS250 Trophy.

Aside from missing the sound of vtec at 8800rpm and maybe turning a few heads around town, the Megane is hands down the better car. I still miss the Integra on some days but as a whole, no regrets at all.

Things I love most is the steering feel, pedal placement (heal-toe is so easy), actually having torque and the sheer pace of the thing. Through a twisty road, there’s nothing that can really keep pace I’ve found (except for my mate in his RS250 haha). Such good performance right out of the box and no real compromise as a daily driver.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about moving from Honda to Renault.

You will become my new best friend! :)

32 minutes ago, t_bund said:

Welcome Jacky.

I absolutely understand what you mean!

The steering in the RS is fast. Similar to my MX5s. 
The heel toe way better than DC2R. Similar to my EP3. 
Having torque is new to me. :) 
And in addition, the stableness of the Megane RS makes you feel almost invincible. The key word is confidence. In the EP3, it's hard to gain the confidence. 

Sent you a PM to discuss further. I want to know the worst of the worst when it comes to owning a Megane RS.

I haven't even had a look at the cars for sale, but all I've learnt is that these seem to be the essential first mods: 

• resonator delete
  • intake 
  • tune 

3 hours ago, mryangtastic said:

I absolutely understand what you mean!

The steering in the RS is fast. Similar to my MX5s. 
The heel toe way better than DC2R. Similar to my EP3. 
Having torque is new to me. :) 
And in addition, the stableness of the Megane RS makes you feel almost invincible. The key word is confidence. In the EP3, it's hard to gain the confidence. 

Sent you a PM to discuss further. I want to know the worst of the worst when it comes to owning a Megane RS.

I haven't even had a look at the cars for sale, but all I've learnt is that these seem to be the essential first mods: 

• resonator delete
  • intake 
  • tune 

Welcome Jacky!

I can tell you right now the worst of the worst is the shipping from the UK and conversion from GBP to AUD. If you can deal with that, everything else is a breeze bar some ridiculous toolbox additions that you'll need (13mm ratchet, torx set and an 8mm square). 

P.S. if you're looking for a home for the K20, I have a Civic that would benefit xD hahaha

Enjoy your stay and hope to see you post up that you have a RS soon!

Hi - Just thought I'd mention, if anyone is looking for a good buy, my car is for sale on the forum for $17,000 with no money to spend.

Here's the link - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/30245-metallic-black-2012-megane-rs250-for-sale/

You'd be better off posting a new thread for advice but it's been done to death.

Try searching the forum and you should find all your answers for mods and all other relevant suggestions.

• Like 1

Welcome Jacky!

I can tell you right now the worst of the worst is the shipping from the UK and conversion from GBP to AUD. If you can deal with that, everything else is a breeze bar some ridiculous toolbox additions that you'll need (13mm ratchet, torx set and an 8mm square). 
P.S. if you're looking for a home for the K20, I have a Civic that would benefit xD hahaha
Enjoy your stay and hope to see you post up that you have a RS soon!
Thanks! GBP to AUD is something I'm used to already. EP3 stuff is usually from the UK for the AUDM equivalent of parts. Generally cheaper than genuine Japanese parts.

You have an EK or an EG in need of a K20? [emoji3]

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, RS250CUP said:

Hi - Just thought I'd mention, if anyone is looking for a good buy, my car is for sale on the forum for $17,000 with no money to spend.

Here's the link - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/30245-metallic-black-2012-megane-rs250-for-sale/

You'd be better off posting a new thread for advice but it's been done to death.

Try searching the forum and you should find all your answers for mods and all other relevant suggestions.

I think I'm looking for a 250 Cup Trophee with the Recaros. It's just something about cars with Recaros that I'm drawn to. 
Your one does look ok though. 

2 hours ago, woot woot said:

Recognize your EP3 from ClubITR. Welcome

Ha! I try to become involved in the car community wherever possible. It's fun to learn.
EP3, I told myself I'd never sell. It's so good that it's boring (in the best way). It's practical, it's comfortable (enough), it has the looks (subjective), it's fast (for an NA) and most importantly, it's reliable. Currently, it's my daily driving track car! 
But for a Megane RS... I may have to give it up for. 

My brain says to sell the EP3 or even part it out. The DC2R will be a faster appreciator than my Civic.
But my heart says to sell DC2R and keep the EP3. Most people can't imagine me primarily driving another car.

2 hours ago, apple3337 said:

If you want to stick with NA there's always the Clio 2 and 3. Just sayin' :news:

The thing is... I don't. I like NA in my life, but never wanted my life to be dominated by it. 
In early October 2017, my brother and I were the owners of a Civic VTIR EK4 (B16A2), Integra Type R DC2 (B18C7) and Civic Type R EP3 (K20A). Sometimes, you can get too much of highly strung NA engines. Sold the EK4 and shortly bought my second NB8A. 

56 minutes ago, RedMistVIP said:

I went from owning a DC2R for over 10 years to an R26 Megane and now a 265 Megane.. Always loved honda and still have a soft spot for them but I will never not have a turbo car again.

I think we're similar. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 1:28 PM, mryangtastic said:

Thanks! GBP to AUD is something I'm used to already. EP3 stuff is usually from the UK for the AUDM equivalent of parts. Generally cheaper than genuine Japanese parts.

You have an EK or an EG in need of a K20? emoji3.png

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

You'll be fine then! Renault here charges absolute astronomical prices for things that are a third of the price over there.

Neither, I have an ED ready for it :twisted: attached image for appreciation. Currently has a B18A1 heart from a DA Integra which is good, but can be better... hehe

32336779_10156081810880380_3039356061103423488_o.jpg

• Like 1

Best thing about getting a RSM is you don’t need to spend money on mods - they get it right from the factory . 

You can still mod but the changes aren’t that great from stock,  unlike some JDM where you can improve things a lot as the starting point is lower 

enjoy the RS torque ! I just sold an Exige with a 2.4ltr frankenhonda VTEC, with added 1320 TVS SC - that had torque 😃🏁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yiannos18 said:

You'll be fine then! Renault here charges absolute astronomical prices for things that are a third of the price over there.

Neither, I have an ED ready for it :twisted: attached image for appreciation. Currently has a B18A1 heart from a DA Integra which is good, but can be better... hehe

32336779_10156081810880380_3039356061103423488_o.jpg

If I had the ED, I would still have a D series in it! Super fun no matter what kind of engine is inside one of those. 

1 hour ago, rob 240 said:

Best thing about getting a RSM is you don’t need to spend money on mods - they get it right from the factory . 

You can still mod but the changes aren’t that great from stock,  unlike some JDM where you can improve things a lot as the starting point is lower 

enjoy the RS torque ! I just sold an Exige with a 2.4ltr frankenhonda VTEC, with added 1320 TVS SC - that had torque 😃🏁

That's exactly what I thought. Tires, pads, rotors and fluid. It would easily clock a faster time than the EP3 around Wakefield. 

• Like 1