Rs 265 gear knob

HappyGorilla

There's a whole thread devoted to this, I think it's titled 'Robbie' s knob' and should be in the Meg 3 section, probably the technical pages.  Try searching there. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your help once again. 

It's with great success and have a new Renault Sport gear knob fitted and it's glorious. I will say one thing the original knob is heavier which I liked more but the new one is so much more comfortable and I did adjust it to be shorter by approx 2-3cm which is good enough for now. 

I have a few pictures I found on the line to help out anyone else. Also a few just to show off abit haha.  Sorry in advanced if there not in a nice n tidy order. 

Screenshot_20180123-091536.png

Screenshot_20180123-091542.png

20180210_150048.jpg

20180210_145801.jpg

20180210_145812.jpg

20180210_145908.jpg

20180210_151701.jpg

20180210_154348.jpg

20180210_154311.jpg

20180210_145933.jpg

Edited by HappyGorilla
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi all, 

Sorry to ressurect this thread again. I have bought the OEM RS shift knob but when I pulled my stock one off the plastic tip that is meant to be on the end of the shifter stayed inside the knob. I cannot get it out. Does anyone know where I can get another one of those plastic peices? I can't seem to find them, the ones online measure 62mm long and from the photos in this thread this one seems much shorter. 

works well with the RS weighted gear nob in my 265, just flick it through the gears😁  but yeah every ones different. whatcha driving ? whoops on the quote

8 hours ago, Matt205 said:

I personally think the short shift mod is crap, makes the shift feel a little vague to me, but each to their own.

On 05/07/2024 at 9:18 AM, stevo said:

You could try heat gun or hair dryer to soften the plastic then get it with some long nose pliers.

Do you have the short shift mod, it's well worth it. 

https://www.short-shifters.com/products/renault/megane-iii-2009-2015/20-rs-265bhp-trophy/

I tried to remove the plastic adapter and it broke in 2 when I got it out of the gear knob. 

I have decided to model the adapter myself and see if I can 3D print one. The part does not seem to be avaliable anywhere. 

20240707_173931.jpg

20240707_173913.jpg

4 hours ago, HumidLettuce said:

I tried to remove the plastic adapter and it broke in 2 when I got it out of the gear knob. 

I have decided to model the adapter myself and see if I can 3D print one. The part does not seem to be avaliable anywhere. 

20240707_173931.jpg

20240707_173913.jpg

Dam, thats unlucky mate, normally a 5 minute job, i guess over time the plastic bonded to the nob. If you can replicate with 3D printing you could have a good business sideline as so many plastic bits that break these days, and its a great skill to have. Pls let us know how you go. 

5 hours ago, stevo said:

Dam, thats unlucky mate, normally a 5 minute job, i guess over time the plastic bonded to the nob. If you can replicate with 3D printing you could have a good business sideline as so many plastic bits that break these days, and its a great skill to have. Pls let us know how you go. 

So I printed my model today in ABS and it came out great. Printed well and looked the part. It was tough to get it on the shaft, I only managed to get it about 3/4 of the way down. Hit it with little bit of heat from a hair dryer and it was then easy enough to get it all the way with a dead blow hammer. 

Very happy I managed to fix this issue! 

20240708_170537.jpg

20240708_171428.jpg

20240708_170533.jpg

• Like 3

Thats awesome work, where there's a will, there's a way. Its a much better looking knob, and works better also. 

I've had mine on for over 5 years, they dont crack or fade, so your done and dusted.

Nice job Humidlettuce.

I've pulled on it and put the knob on and off 3 times now. It's a very good fit both to the shaft and the knob as the plastic peice remains in tact and attached while the gear knob was a really good pull to get off. 

Very happy with this. 

17 minutes ago, Darkrym said:

I've got a couple spare shifters if that one also breaks tell me and I might be able to send you one.

Thank you for your offer :). We shall see how it goes 

8 minutes ago, rye172 said:

Just need to be careful on hot, sunny days...

It's printed with ABS which shoukd withstand temps up to about 85 without deforming much. And it won't get hot enough to melt. I'll report back here in summer if it goes wrong. 

1 hour ago, HumidLettuce said:

It's printed with ABS which shoukd withstand temps up to about 85 without deforming much. And it won't get hot enough to melt. I'll report back here in summer if it goes wrong. 

I should have clarified; not the plastic I was talking about, but more a warning for the user. These knobs get hotter than the sun!!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, rye172 said:

I should have clarified; not the plastic I was talking about, but more a warning for the user. These knobs get hotter than the sun!!

I actually went the opposite direction and replaced the 'RS Steel Knob' with a Leather Gear Knob...because the steel knob was too cold in the Winter  😜

• Sad 1

But its a weighted gear nob, so it uses metal. I use a windscreen visor thing if i park in the sun all day though and got tint/ uv filter on side windows. Anyways, i always enjoy driving the little beast. 🤪