A discussion of obligations

griffyn

I would like to start a conversation here about what we think is OK to share, to copy and to link to.

We're already discussing this behind the scenes, but there's no point us imposing some arbitrary limit on what's alright.

There are a couple of easy points:

Full articles from paid media

Full articles from free media

Photos from media

Community sourced guides and content

Renault manuals and how-to instructions

What's our feeling on copying and re-hosting any or all of the above?

What is acceptable?

I have lots of thoughts about it, but we need some feedback.

Yes

- free media

- past copies of paid media (ie not available for purchase anymore)

- photos from media, source acknowledged where possible & not to be passed off as one's own photos

No

- current copies of paid media (magazines, apps etc)

I'm with Alex - especially about acknowledging media sources (with a link or otherwise).

Community sourced guides are OK, as long as the author's details are included and a proviso about using the guide at your risk.

Renault manuals are where it gets interesting because they are extremely useful but also a clear breach of copyright.

I think that Walkie has it nailed from an ethical POV. Anything that is currently being sold is out of bounds and acknowledge sources .... However 'out of print' sharing may have legal copywrite issues.... Not sure in the rules here.

I think that the current data and IP laws were never created with the new digital world in mind.

Society has not yet adjusted to the fact that the internet makes it almost impossible to control information.

Most businesses are still using bus models based upon the old world where controlling info was the way to make $$.

Still the law is currently the law. It would interesting to understand the liability of OZRS as a group and us as individual members. If laws are breached is the person who posted it responsible or the forum for hosting it.....

Likewise, can OZRS as a group be held accountable and what form would that take ??

Rob do you know anything about this area of law ?

I think that anything which would measurably disadvantage a party financially, is out of bounds. I.e. if it's something they are making money from (a current issue of a magazine) then it shouldn't be allowed. A year old article is no longer generating revenue for that party, so I feel it's alright.

Thanks so far folks, a far healthier discussion than I was expecting has already started to congeal.

I think that links are OK, but have an issue with content that's not directly ours being presented as if it was.

Thanks so far folks, a far healthier discussion than I was expecting has already started to congeal.

I think that links are OK, but have an issue with content that's not directly ours being presented as if it was.

Agreed, but the issue then becomes appropriate recognition of ownership. I assume this becomes the responsibility of the poster..... If it isn't there what will the admins do .... Delete the post ?

Agreed, but the issue then becomes appropriate recognition of ownership. I assume this becomes the responsibility of the poster..... If it isn't there what will the admins do .... Delete the post ?

If this was a business intranet (like the one where I work) we'd hide the post and request the author to include an ack, and delete if no follow up in a certain time.

wade its not in my area but i agree with walkie

i dont think we should put up copies of current magazine articles - they need to sell them to stay in biz . for mine , older ones are ok as no ones likely to buy old articles