Finally returning to the fold

Gordini NZ

Not quite a newbie introduction as i've already made a few contributions to the forum.

Anyway, I am finally returning to the Renault fold after some 25 years in the wilderness. My first ever car was a Renault 6 that my Dad bought for me when I was at university; but my relationship with Renault goes back a lot further than that. My Dad was a Renault fanatic 4's,5's, 6's, 8's, 16's 17's - we owned them all over the years. He even entered an R4 (Roho) in the East African Safari in the late 60's (I think) and finished second in his class. My favourite though was his track car - a Renault 8 Gordini. He even got close to buying me one once but it was a bit on the expensive side.

On 15 Sep 2012 I test drove an RS 265 and six months later (pretty much to the hour) on 15 March, I put down a deposit on an RS 265 Cup. Delivery will be June or July - will find out next week, it depends on whether they can change the spec of a car on order that is currently unallocated.

Spec-wise it will be a bit unique (at least on this forum). Here in NZ we get the RS265 Cup that is available in Oz and can either take it as is, or add a Trophy Pack, or pick and choose from the options list. End result is i've chosen a spec that has a bit of everything in it - Cup (18" Tibors), Trophy (Recaros), Trophy + (Panoramic Roof) and most important of all Sirius/Liquid Yellow (8.08). Final spec is

RS265 Cup with

Sirius Yellow

Cloth Recaro Seats (which give me the yellow interior details as opposed to the red that is standard in the Cup)

Panoramic Roof

Xenon Headlights

Front Parking Sensors

The tough decisions were...

Panoramic Roof - This had me worried for a while as I wasn't that keen on the lighter roof lining that it comes with but i've gotten over that now and think it will still look OK (plus a lighter roof lining is less intrusive in the glass-house area of the car even if it doesn't look as cool).

18" Tibors - I think all the wheel options for the RS are pretty cool. In the end I chose the Tibors as I think they are little more compliant than the 19" Steevs, which is important as my partner hates the crashy ride of my current 1 Series BMW; secondly I tend to associate the Diamond Cut Steev's more with the RS250 and thirdly, i'm not convinced the Black/Red Steevs are a good match for Sirius Yellow - just my opinion of course and I don't mean to offend all those with 8.08's :shock::oops: . Plus I think the matt black Tibors actually look pretty cool and fill the arches well enough. Oh, and seeing as the car will be getting some track action the 18" tyres are a little lighter on the wallet.

Anyway, i'll post some pics when it finally arrives.

Cheers

Thanks, just realised I wrote far more than I meant to!

Love the colour of your car and your aftermarket rims too. Generally i'm not a fan of aftermarket options but yours really suit the RS Megane,

Welcome again. Great choice in colour, have not seen any 265's in that colour in NZ yet so it will be rare, to be honest they are rare in any colour!

What dealership did you buy through?

When you get it and when you book a trackday you will have to let me know, more than keen to get out on track with another RS!

My first test drive last year was in a Sirius Yellow car and, while it costs more, I never really considered another colour. Even my partner reckons that its hard to imagine an RS in another colour, as yellow is so synonymous Renault and racing (as is blue for Gordinis and Alpines).

Agree they are rare - I think mine will be the third Sirius yellow in the country. Other than the press car and the demonstrators I have driven the only RS' i've seen on the road have been 250's and even then i've only ever seen three of them.

I bought the car through Roverland on the Shore - they've been really good so far.

Will definitely touch base ahead of the first track day.

Congrats and good choice with the Tibors. 101% agree with all your thoughts on these over the 19'ers.

I really envy the roads you guys have, especially the south island. I vividly remember the first morning I set out from Picton in my rental Vectra, only to see a Mitsubishi EVO coming out for a 'leisurely' Sunday drive. I was totally shattered I left my car back in Melbourne.

Put my current car up for sale today. That gives me about two months to sell it, otherwise i'll have to trade it, which is less than ideal.

Fingers crossed...

If you list it on Trademe for a reasonable price it should sell quite quick, I do hear cars are slow selling at the moment though. The trade in price will be its wholesale value so add a couple of thousand to that and that i what it will sell for.

8 Weeks should get you plenty of interest though and gives you time to list it high and work your way back. Good luck.

Thanks, I've deliberately listed at a competitive price, with a buffer built in for negotiation of course.

Whoah - as i'm typing this a txt came through from someone asking to view the car....

Car sold! Now i've got two months of Auckland Public Transport before RSM265 arrives.

The beginning of a great adventure...

Ha ha. It could have taken me less. I sold the car to the guy who txt'ed me on Tuesday morning. He came to seem me that afternoon and wanted to give me cash there and then but I was taken by surprise and still needed to sort out a few things. So he paid me yesterday. Also had a back up buyer in my pocket in case it fell over :).

Quickest i've ever sold anything was an amp and speakers. By the time I had listed all three items on trademe (Speakers, Amp, CD player) the first two were sold. I was gobsmacked!

Well done, that was fast!

Good luck with the public transport, plenty of time to dream about your new machine.

Yeah i've thought of that. We used to have a cheap Pulsar but sold it after I realised that the last three times it had been used was to renew its Warrant Of Fitness.

Know what you mean about parking at local shopping centres though. I have my favorite spots and still got dinged three times in the last three years. I was in the car when the worst one happened - the woman responsible couldn't believe I made such a fuss about it and proceeded to try and wipe away the paint mark with a huge bunch of keys in her hand... I got the dent repaired but can still see the crease in the metallic paint.

Mind you the guy who has bought my BMW is seriously impressed with the condition of the paint work and rims :)

Always good to buy a cheap run around car which you can plan to keep. Don't have to worry about parking it at local shopping centres etc

Gordini NZ has already mentioned this, but in NZ buying a cheap runabout car is nigh on impossible considering NZ's oppressive bi-annual WoF requirements.

New owner took delivery of the BMW today and I caught the bus and ferry home. Had a glass of wine on the ferry too.

Pretty good fun overall.

Let's see how I feel in two months time...

Gordini NZ has already mentioned this, but in NZ buying a cheap runabout car is nigh on impossible considering NZ's oppressive bi-annual WoF requirements.
Man, I would love that to be introduced here. Seriously. Make a lot of people think twice about owning a car and driving at all.

Man, I would love that to be introduced here. Seriously. Make a lot of people think twice about owning a car and driving at all.

It is a good idea.

Compulsory insurance would be an even better one. I can't believe that you don't even need 3rd Party insurance to drive legally on NZ roads.

Mind you, the number of cars I see with expired registrations or WoF's is scary too.

Always good to buy a cheap run around car which you can plan to keep. Don't have to worry about parking it at local shopping centres etc

It is hard, but fun looking.

I paid less than $1000 for my cheap run about Peugeot 205, has passed 4 warrants so far failing only on a rear wheel bearing once.

Just brought a Hiace Van for $500... could be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Apex,

Saw that one too. :hail: Sirius Yellow is awesome! :hail:

Over a month since I placed my order and I reckon i've got at least another six weeks to go. Luckily the time has actually gone by quite quickly (two trips to Oz in that time have helped - saw a 265 on each trip too)

There are a number of RS265's on trademe at the moment.

This one is apparently an automatic :rofl:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/renault/auction-580959797.htm

This Mercury Silver (or is it Oyster Grey?) is selling for more than a Trophy yet the spec is "Unkown" :shock:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/renault/auction-584359094.htm

Even the Sirius yellow one you linked to is "Hand made in paris" so i guess it must be unique because it wasn't made in Spain :roll: No wonder some car dealers can't sell cars!

Anyway, everyday i'm one day closer to delivery :D

Quick update :news: (or not as the case may be) :o

It's been six weeks since I placed my order and, seeing as I was basically changing the spec of a car that was in the queue, I thought i'd ask my dealer for a quick update.

Apparently they have no news yet. Absolutely no news at all for a car that was already in the queue and is scheduled for delivery at the end of May.... I'm guessing this could take a while... :popcorn:

The order is for a car that Renault NZ already had on order but hadn't been built and spec hadn't been confirmed. So order was confirmed with my spec, which has probably saved me a month waiting time (ie 3 months instead of 4).

It will happen but six weeks after placing the order i'm starting to get a little excited!

To put it int perspective the wait is not as bad as for custom made Italian furniture - the set I ordered last year took six months to arrive!

Wow...6 months for furniture. Never heard of that before!

As for the car, I know how you feel. In my case I put down my deposit 5 weeks before I picked her up (she was waiting patiently for me at the dealer's storage warehouse). The train ride on the morning itself was the most nerve wrecking! :lol:

Luckily i'm used to waiting for cars as i've never bought a new car off the showroom floor or ex stock. The way I see it is, if you are going to spend that amount of money on something, you may as well get the exact spec you want. Due to the vast number of options these days it is unlikely that your perfect spec is 'in stock'.

RenaultSport Australia + options list = does not compute

Yep, I was lucky that there was one on the floor in the colour I want and ALL the options available at the time = SOLD!

I'm not sure if I'd change anything, but I do kind of envy your ability to personalise.

Suffice it to say, enjoy it when you get it!

Cheers,

bozz

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update. Car is scheduled to arrive at the end of May with delivery early June.

Another update. The above has become "car will ship end of May and will be delivered early July" :(

Congrats on the new purchase mate and counting down the hours till it arrives. Would be awesome to have such a niche car in NZ with the roads U have access too. Not sure I would like the fuel bill though. haha. My 1st drive would be down the Sth Island and from Wanaka to Queenstown and back.. Oh about a dozen times. Enjoy :dance:

Thanks

Just to rub it in as I was walking to work this morning (after my ferry and bus ride) an RS 265 drove past me :shock:

I think it was one of the first that Renault NZ brought in to use as a press car and then in the Targa rally. So to date the only 265's i've seen on the road are the press car and the demonstrators I drove!

Luckily I don't have to pay the fuel bill - although I think my boss might rethink that if I keep taking trips down to Queenstown (good idea though!)

• 1 month later...

The Hoegh Copenhagen is due to dock in Auckland this Saturday (currently in Melbourne then off to Port Kembla). Onboard should be be my RS265. From there it has to go through the usuall formalities before the short trip over Auckland Harbour Bridge to the dealer, so not long to go now.

Hoping for delivery towards the end of next week. Starting to get pretty excited :hyper:

Good idea!

I was in Devonport this afternoon when the Copenhagen entered the harbour so watched it dock knowing that somewhere in the bowels was a LY RS265 with my name on it.

No long now. Don't wish you could just walk up to the ship and say "I'm here to pick up my car"

Oh yes! Intrigue got the better of me and later on I caught a ferry across to the city and watched them unloading cars for half an hour or so - loads of Nissan Qashqais and Ford Kugas...

My Missus reckons they leave the best 'til last :wink:

YES!!! My car is finally here :hyper::hyper::hyper:

So I thought i'd bring this thread to it's natural conclusion by posting a link to some photos the dealer sent me that I have hosted in flickr. Bear in mind the car is straight off the boat and this is pre any dealer prep so it looks a bit grubby.

Will collect on Friday or Saturday and post some decent pics next week.

I'm pretty new to this so not sure i you'll just see one image or if you'll be able to see all four...

P1040920

Just trying out different flickr posting options

lightbox

Now why can't I see the above? I posted the url using the Img function as opposed to the url function.