Newbies Section

Bremund

There have been complaints that people only post in the Newbies section to increase their post count.

Now if you have over 50 posts then posts in the Newbie section don't count towards your post count.

So Newbies still have their posts increase, but older members don't.

Any problems let me know.

I'm confused, shouldn't this be the other way around?

I would've thought it was people just posting in the newbies section to up there post count to 50+ in order to get access to the For Sale section would be the problem? This new feature doesn't seem to stop this.

I would've thought maybe your first 5-10 posts in the newbies section would count and then after that they don't.

Maybe also to access the for sale section you have either 3 months membership or 50+ posts in any of the following sections:

- RENAULTSPORT DISCUSSION

- OZRS MEMBERS' RIDES, CAR CARE & SIGHTINGS

- MEETINGS & EVENTS

That way you are having to actually contribute to RS specific discussion. I've seen similar things on other forums like this.

Cheers,

Trent

In my opinion, putting limits on access to the classifieds section limits a current member's opportunity to either buy or sell something that may be of interest to them.

Newbies often go there to find a car and alternatively go there to sell a car/item that may be specific to this forum.

I am fully aware that some people will join simply to have that access but in the long run, it may be a member who benefits with a bargain buy or a quick sale.

I presume if a new member has a worthwhile car or part to sell, they can pm a moderator and arrange something. Would be easier than creating a barrage of inane posts.

In my opinion, putting limits on access to the classifieds section limits a current member's opportunity to either buy or sell something that may be of interest to them.

Newbies often go there to find a car and alternatively go there to sell a car/item that may be specific to this forum.

I am fully aware that some people will join simply to have that access but in the long run, it may be a member who benefits with a bargain buy or a quick sale.

The Classifieds is the largest "problem" section for the mod & admin team by a LONG way. I fully support restricting access to those who have demonstrated they're willing to participate in this community.

If they had a car or part to sell, couldn't they post a link to their carsales ad or ebay ad in the newbies section anyway?

If they had half a brain, yes, but 99% of the time they go straight for the section that says "For Sale".

Seems that that kind of newbie has only one thing on their mind, and that's offloading their stuff for nothing without building any element of trust within this community.

:news:

As Griffyn pointed out, the Classifieds section causes most of our issues. When you have complete unknowns posting up items for sale we have no way of knowing whether or not they are legit. DanSA learnt that the hard way, as have a few others.

We'd rather eliminate that risk, or at least minimise it.

Are people really getting complaining about established members upping their post count via the newbie forum? Gee, talk about first world problems! :lol:

Are people really getting complaining about established members upping their post count via the newbie forum? Gee, talk about first world problems! :lol:

Hence my confusion. Looking at the first few pages of the members with high post counts, I recognise most of the users as active contributing members of this forum. The ones I don't look to not post here much anymore.

memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist

Cheers,

Trent

Forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage to a high post count?.

If your knowledgable about a subject & can contribute to the interest/help of others surely your of value to the RS community even if you have only a handful of posts.

Likewise if you only talk sh-t & you have no knowledge then regardless of how many hundreds of posts you have your still not contributing anything of value.

Isn't a forum like this about quality of input not quantity?, I mean it's not Facebook after all.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...