Willis From England...

Willis

Evening all!!!

Or, should that be morning all with the time difference!?!

I'm Willis, I live just outside Manchester and I've been a Renaultsport owner for just over two years now. I'm a Mod and Area Rep' on the UK based site http://www.clio197.net or http://www.clio200.net for those of you who prefer the version of this car with the ugly noses. :P I'm not actually sure how I ended up finding your site/forum to be honest, but it looks nicely set out and I'm hoping to have a nosey around at what you guys get upto in terms of days out, track days and modifications and just generally see what the scene is like over there in Oz for these little French beauties.

Anyway, enough jibber-jabber, here's some photo's of Nicole and a bit of a spec' sheet;

20120120-08.jpg

20120120-19.jpg

20120630-01.jpg

Chassis;

KYB ''Cup'' Dampers

H&R -30mm/-30mm Springs

Millers Oils 300 Plus Brake Fluid

HEL Stainless Steel Brake Hoses

Engine;

63mm TB

K-Tec Panel Filter

K-Tec 200 Cell Sports-Cat

Clio V6 Airbox (Clio 197 Cup Airbox)

K-Tec (Magnex) Cat-Back Stainless System

I've a few more things planned for her both in the short-term and long-term too.

Cheers,

Will

Welcome will . Nice spec there . It's 3.25 am , been watching tour de France

Been to Manchester , families from Leeds originally although we support a***nal .

Walkies86 on here caught up with a RS meet in UK a few years ago and the scene sounds huge compared to where RS is a minority player . Lots of rice in oz .

Cheers Rob!!!

Gah, that's a right old mix there isn't it, from Leeds and follow a***nal!?! Strangely enough my missus is a Leeds fan but grew up within spitting distance of Old Trafford, God only knows what went on in that house when she was growing up hahaha!!! :)

What's it like over there for the normal Renaults? Over here you see plenty of the shopping-spec' ones but still not so many of the RS's, the aftermarket here is very good though especially for the 172/182 and the Megane. The 197/200 seems to be a bit of a tough one to get more power out of so most of the tuners here haven't really pushed things although the Megane conversion is getting popular now and there's a few S/C kits due for release soon.

Yeah, I can imagine you get a lot of the Jap' stuff, there's a big following for it here too. Probably as big as if not bigger than the French car scene over here infact. We've just started to get the odd car from you guys too, albeit with VXR badges instead of Holden but it's nice to see them making their way over slowly but surely.

Do you still have the Spider in your sig'!?!

Welcome mate. I'm familiar with your car from clio197.net!

Hope you find something interesting/useful from our site!

And just for the record, I most certainly do not support a***nal. That's Rob's other son who's got serious issues...

Hiya mate!!!

I've been having a nosey, there's some cracking builds going on on here.

Hahaha, good lad, best to stay clear of Aresnal especially if RVP end up going this summer!!! :D

Will, I've noticed you don't have a remap listed among all of your mods. Is that on the cards? I thought you'd need one with the enlarged TB!

Welcome Willis.

Well we are the 3rd biggest market in the world for the RS Megane...they've sold more here than in the UK apparently (despite us being 35% of your population and 45-50% of your new car market). RS cars have long had the respect of "those in the know" over here (since the Clio 172), and the RS Megane III has really taken the brand to another level in terms of recognition. It will be interesting to see how the Clio IV goes. I think it's fair to say that the OzRS membership seem a bit luke warm on it...especially the unfortunate DCT-only decision.

We look forward to your contribution and insights.

Wow, cheers for the warm welcome!!! :)

Chiapoco, you have no idea how hard it was for me to not type g'day in my first post!!! :D

Nemz, the 200 nose is very love/hate over here hahaha!!! Personally I don't think it's too bad but I think the 197 is more aggressively styled.

Walkie86, correct I've not had a Remap done yet but yes it is on the cards. I'll upload my project thread later on for people to have a browse through which has the full details about the TB in there, but the Sagem ECU on these is actually brainier than we realised and does adapt quite quickly despite what we'd originally thought about it. Originally I'd gone up to 64mm and I had the 63mm TB made up just to see if/what difference there would be, quite a lot as it turns out. It seems that 63mm is the sweetspot...

RBH58, good bit of info' there cheers. To be honest it's the same with us and the Mk.IV, the spy shots we've seen so far aren't giving much away and the move from NA to FI seems to be a bit of a sh!tter for a lot of people, myself included. I think RS will get it right and no doubt the engine is going to be highly tunable and reliable but for me it's maybe taking something away from the Clio... Same can be said about the paddle box. The main thing that's worrying us over here is that the RS they had in camoflage at Goodwood FOS wasn't fitted with Brembos. But the rumour is it'll be 100KG lighter than the 200!?!

Whitejet, as long as it's not a damn Fosters I'm happy hahaha!!!

SamR, cheers mate, she definitely gets driven as RS intended. Even my commute is all country lanes, it's pretty much a tarmac rally stage every morning. She gets looked after too though, the missus is jealous of her hahaha!!!

Hahaha!!! :D

I have family over in Adelaide and they tell me the same thing, hate the stuff... I think it was Coopers and Twoheys that they were telling me about last time they were over? We managed to find an Australian bar in Manchester and they pretty much drank the place dry of the stuff, withdrawal symptoms...

Hahaha!!! :D

I have family over in Adelaide and they tell me the same thing, hate the stuff... I think it was Coopers and Twoheys that they were telling me about last time they were over? We managed to find an Australian bar in Manchester and they pretty much drank the place dry of the stuff, withdrawal symptoms...

Not a big beer drinker myself and I usually drink Asahi when I do, but Coopers Original Pale Ale is one of my favorite local beers.

You sound like you're from London! :P

Great car mate. The enthusiast's here are very passionate about RS cars. Unfortunately we don't get spoilt here, in regards to tracks. Here in Queensland for instance, we only have two tracks and they aren't near as fun as many of the ones you get over there. Nevertheless, we still manage to have a great deal of fun with our awesome frenchies!

There aren't many around down here and it's nice knowing most people have no idea how damn good they are!

You sound like you're from London! :P

Great car mate. The enthusiast's here are very passionate about RS cars. Unfortunately we don't get spoilt here, in regards to tracks. Here in Queensland for instance, we only have two tracks and they aren't near as fun as many of the ones you get over there. Nevertheless, we still manage to have a great deal of fun with our awesome frenchies!

There aren't many around down here and it's nice knowing most people have no idea how damn good they are!

Well, there's a reason that half the F1 teams are based in the UK. Driving UK roads is a delight compared to Australia (believe it or not!) Great roads, well sign posted, brilliant B roads and lots of them, and level of overall driving standards that we can only dream of over here. We may have the sunshine (well..some of us) but for driving pleasure I'd take the UK over Aus any day.

Cheers Josh!!! :)

Yeah we're pretty well looked after when it comes to tracks and the track owners and track day companies work very well together so from January - November you can pretty much pick any track in the country and I think if you had the time/money you could be on track three times per week if you were willing to travel between a few different tracks. My local (25Miles) is Oulton Park, absolutely stunning track and a favourite of the BSB and BTCC riders/drivers. It's an old circuit so every corner has its own character but all of the facilities are modern. It's owned by a company called MSV which is owned by Jonathan Palmer (sure you've all heard of him), he owns four tracks I think now and every one is kept in immaculate condition...

Oulton-Park-full-size.jpg

Oh we get that here too with people not knowing what the RS's are capable of. It makes ownership a bit more special I think knowing that you're ''in the know''... Plus it makes for some bemused faces when you're on a B-Road and somebody in a ''faster'' car can't figure out why they can't keep up with you or pull away from you. :twisted:

RBH58, here's a couple of our playgrounds, the first video is the A537 or The Cat & Fiddle as it's better known. I had to near enough stop to let my mate in a 320BHP Focus ST catch up again. The second video is The EVO Triangle over in Wales, I don't know if you guys get EVO Magazine there but if you do then this is the ''circuit'' they take their tests cars around to do the head to head tests...

The Cat & Fiddle (fun starts at 02:00)...

mV2uJLvKTSM

The EVO Triangle...

1YDoseTmGD8

I think we take what we have here for granted sometimes. You must have some pretty good driving roads over there though? Oh God, if you think our driving standards are good then I'd hate to see what you have to put up with hahaha!!! The rush hour here is attrocious, if you stay off the roads from 0745-0945 and 1515-1815 then you're ok but anything in those times and it's a free for all, especially once you get near to the cities. London is something else, I go there fairly regularly with work and it's just beyond belief the things that people there will do if they think it'll save them two minutes in the traffic.

You must have some pretty good driving roads over there though?

Not as many as you guys...seriously.

Oh God, if you think our driving standards are good then I'd hate to see what you have to put up with hahaha!!!
You could not possibly conceive in your worst nightmare, the general standard of driving in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Salutations Will,

A very ride you have there. Truth be told, could agree more with your entry comment, as i dig the 197 front end very much. Yep...cooler (IMHO)

Anyways, see you around the forum and hopefully one day i'll get to on offering my services to your lot. Made bode well.

Cheers,

WOLF

Cheers Wolf!!! :)

Hahaha yeah the 197 is the "conneseurs choice" I think! :D

• 2 weeks later...