RS 250 and redline regret

Blake7373

As long as the oil temp is up, it's doing no damage at all. These cars are designed for the high RPM fun, and hitting the red-line is just part of the fun of an RS.

more frequent driving in your car and you'll get use to engine nose and rev range so you don't redline. It wont hurt so lon as you don't continually try to ride your revs on redline to hard, you know its time to shift gear once the horrendous shift light beep comes on anyway.

Girls go wild when they hear limiter.

Or maybe that's just buddy's F1 car?

Apparently not... unless somebody in the tech side can tell us otherwise. The Gear shift beep is less annoying than the embarassing air horn.

I didn't know what the horn sounded like till a few days after I drove it out of the dealership, had to pull over to have a laugh at it :rofl:

OT but how good does Megane with an big exhaust sound when it hits the cold limiter?? Mine \ blows flames and sounds like a WRC car!!

I live life in the limiter, its not a way of driving its a lifestyle.

The rev limitier threshold changes depending on the temperatutre of your engine / oil. If you get in and give it to the engine cold (not recommended) the limiter will apparently beep and cut revs about 1500 revs lower than when the engine is warm. I noticed it to a degree one day when I thought my engine had warmed up enough on a very cold day. I accelerated hard in 2nd only to find it limited any further acceleration beyond 5,000 revs! I thought something was wrong so I let it warm up a few more kilometers and tried again. This time the rev limiter went off at 6,000 revs. I brought it up with a mate of mine who's a bit of a car tragic. He said that there sould be an engine management system in the car's electronics that would hopefully make it "idiot-proof" (his words - not mine) to cause excessive damage due to excessive revs when cold. I don't know if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

• Like 1

The rev limitier threshold changes depending on the temperatutre of your engine / oil. If you get in and give it to the engine cold (not recommended) the limiter will apparently beep and cut revs about 1500 revs lower than when the engine is warm. I noticed it to a degree one day when I thought my engine had warmed up enough on a very cold day. I accelerated hard in 2nd only to find it limited any further acceleration beyond 5,000 revs! I thought something was wrong so I let it warm up a few more kilometers and tried again. This time the rev limiter went off at 6,000 revs. I brought it up with a mate of mine who's a bit of a car tragic. He said that there sould be an engine management system in the car's electronics that would hopefully make it "idiot-proof" (his words - not mine) to cause excessive damage due to excessive revs when cold. I don't know if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

BMW M cars have a variable redline on the tacho. You see the redline change as the car wams up. Right up until you get to unleash 8000rpm of NA goodness (well, until the E90 series anyway) :headbang:

Clio II doesn't have an oil temp sensor.

Max. engine speeds for a coolant temperature

for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm

for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

Is what the technical manuals quote

Thanks for the helpful advice, as someone professionally unaware of the Renault engine's endurance to sustained hard driving it's reassuring to hear that the engine is up for it, as most of us know the temptation is hard to resist. And to the couple of smarta***s, if big mouthing on Internet forums is your thing I can understand why you need a fast car.

I doubt they were trying to be smarta***s. Most of us have a wacky sense of humour :)

There are some long running in-jokes that might seem like abrasive commentary, but it's not really that at all. I've been hanging out here for 3 months and there are still quite a few things I don't quite get, but I can recognise most of them now.

Regarding the toughness of the engine. I did a 750km drive of Bells' Line of Road, Mt Panorama, Peel Road, Bylong Valley Way and Putty Road as a finale, all in the one day. Sport mode was on and I was repeatedly up at redline in 2nd and 3rd gear through the twisty stuff, even got 4th close to redline a couple of times (on "private" road sections of course :lol:) and the 250 only seemed to get better with this kind of attitude :)

Considering how hard the older 225s and R26s around here get pushed and the fact they're still going strong is testament to how strong the F4R series engines are. I'd expect the newer F4R in the 250 is just as strong, if not stronger (evidence points to stronger). Give her heaps! Just a little common sense before she warms up (it's not just the engine that needs to get to temperature, the entire driveline needs warming up and if possible, warming down - this applies to all cars) and make sure you don't grab 2nd on a downshift instead of 4th, or 1st instead of 3rd :shock: that rarely ends well.

If your 250 is fairly new (and most are), the engine may still be loosening up. I definitely felt it in the first 5000kms and there probably is room for it to keep changing character up to around 20k kms. Mine definitely felt like it became more willing to rev smoothly (and quickly!) as the kms piled on. I'll be hitting 10k kms soon.