Soon to be 250 Trophee Owner ---with trepidation

cannon

I am in the middle of ordering a 250 Trophee.

Coming from a VW GT Diesel with insane middle gear acceleration and before that a Nissan 350Z

Love the look of the RS 250 but the standard French concerns still linger in my head ............ reliability and resale value

Am getting a white Trophee with leather Recaros. Looked at the Monaco but just not convinced on the package (although Sat nav is of more interest than the Sport Monitor)

Convince me guys I am doing the right thing :lol::lol::lol:

Have you driven it?

My Megane II has done over 100,000 now, and before that I had a Clio 182 that was just about to clock the same figure. We've got a 1973 R16 in the household that's done an estimated 270,000 MILES (odo only has 5 digits), another RS Clio that's done 120,000 Ks, the folks own a Laguna and a Renault Alpine GTA, and sister in law an R19 that's approaching 200,000. Small sample size I'll grant you.

Resale has not ever been a concern of mine. If the car is good and is still doing what I need it to, I keep it.

Thanks for the feedback ......Yes I have driven one but it had very few kms on it and to be honest was a lot slower than my Diesel VW which surprised me greatly .. but could be the low kms.

It seems to be missing alot of the VAG creature comforts I have been used to but I suppose I can live with that

I normally turn cars over every 4 yaers at the worst so resale is always an issue

Thanks for the feedback ......Yes I have driven one but it had very few kms on it and to be honest was a lot slower than my Diesel VW which surprised me greatly .. but could be the low kms.

It seems to be missing alot of the VAG creature comforts I have been used to but I suppose I can live with that

I normally turn cars over every 4 yaers at the worst so resale is always an issue

Mate, I too had a mk5 gt diesel that was chipped to 149 kws and you have to be insane to say that the vw had more pulling power than the rs250. The vw power wise is not in the same area by a country mile. :shock:

Mate, I too had a mk5 gt diesel that was chipped to 149 kws and you have to be insane to say that the vw had more pulling power than the rs250. The vw power wise is not in the same area by a country mile. :shock:

I am talking about mid gears and as I said it may have just been the new car and me not familiar with how hard to boot it. The diesel is lazy speed ... it pulls hard in any gear.

Looking forward to getting the car

I am talking about mid gears and as I said it may have just been the new car and me not familiar with how hard to boot it. The diesel is lazy speed ... it pulls hard in any gear.

Looking forward to getting the car

Mid-gear torque bandwidth is very good in the 250. Smooth and potentially brutal if you activate the sports/extreme mode. Can't say I've ever drove a VW diesel but I've owned a lot of other cars and can definitely say the RS250 impressed on test drive and thrilled me later after I ran her in. Like all vehicles you can't really compare if you really haven't driven them the way they were set up to be driven on raw roads.

An RS250 does 80-120 in about 3.5 seconds. I doubt that a Golf Diesel could top that. WIth respect to resale, I too had that nervousness about buying a Renault, but given the RS250's near cult car status, I'm pretty sure I'll cover my $25k balloon at 3 years of age.

[quote="LigerZero

Mid-gear torque bandwidth is very good in the 250. Smooth and potentially brutal if you activate the sports/extreme mode. Can't say I've ever drove a VW diesel but I've owned a lot of other cars and can definitely say the RS250 impressed on test drive and thrilled me later after I ran her in. Like all vehicles you can't really compare if you really haven't driven them the way they were set up to be driven on raw roads.

That is possibly the reason why it felt sluggish .. new and not in sports mode. That and having a dealer hanging over your shoulder :D

As for the crazy VW Dieel. It has more torque than the Megane which makes it a crazy drive when you give it a boot full

Maybe the OP hasn't made the right decision if what I have read are true concerns.. :P

Maybe the OP hasn't made the right decision if what I have read are true concerns.. :P

Issues raised are mid-range acceleration...which I'd reckon would be pretty close to the 350Z and would kill a Golf GTD. Reliability...well, it's under warranty for the first 3 years. And resale...I set my RSM250CT's 3 year residual at $25k. It'll have around 50-60,000kms on it by then and I'd be happy if I get $25k for it. I don't think there's a lot to worry about.

All RS's need mileage to give their best performance. I drove a brand new 250 when they first came out and it was slower than a 200 with 10K on the clock. A 250 with 1,000km on the clock however is a totally different beast to one with less than 100km down.

The extra 3000 useable rpm should more than make up for any peak torque advantage. I did try a GT Diesel at Eastern Creek - very capable, easy to go quick but certainly not as exciting or involving as a drive 'round the block in a 250.

All RS's need mileage to give their best performance. I drove a brand new 250 when they first came out and it was slower than a 200 with 10K on the clock. A 250 with 1,000km on the clock however is a totally different beast to one with less than 100km down.

I fully agree with this. Brand new cars always feel rough and tight that early in its life. My 250 is only getting more and more potent now that it's hit the 3000km mark and is well and truly out of its run-in period.

Btw 3000km in 2 months and there's not a single real complaint about the car. I know I made the right decision for sure! OP, you've made the right choice... Dw you will not regret it :)

The extra 3000 useable rpm should more than make up for any peak torque advantage. I did try a GT Diesel at Eastern Creek - very capable, easy to go quick but certainly not as exciting or involving as a drive 'round the block in a 250.

Yes the GT Diesel is a deceptive piece of machinery . Slow off the line but rolling it is very very good.

OK, placed the order today .... Cup Trophee in white with leather Recaros . Should have it on Friday

From what I could find...

RS250:

30-50 mph in 3rd, 2.7s

50-70mph in 5th, 4.9s

Golf GT:

30-50 mph in 3rd, 3.5s

50-80 mph in 5th, 6.3s

So not so slow after all ... add the fact that the Megane I drove was new and traffic and I know why I saw it as slow :lol:

Looking forward to getting it now and seeing how the Extreme mode performs

All the best with your decision.

As an FYI, the "extreme mode" basically remaps the accelerator pedal - there is no extra power you just get it more quickly when you press the pedal down (happy to be corrected here but that's my understanding from discussions here).

All the best with your decision.

As an FYI, the "extreme mode" basically remaps the accelerator pedal - there is no extra power you just get it more quickly when you press the pedal down (happy to be corrected here but that's my understanding from discussions here).

Thanks.

I noticed your sig shows you going the opposite way to me ... from Renault to VW . As I am new here ... what was your reason to go to the VW?

I believe it's because they don't sell VW in the US mate!

Ahem, I think you mean they don't sell Renault in the US :lol:

Exactly

I'll be stopping in at a Renault dealer on my way home from the airport once I'm back :lol:

Congrats on the purchase, you made the right decision.

Hi Cannon, awesome choice. I test drove the Cup on the 3rd of Sept, picked it up on the 8th. I'm in Perth, not sure where you guys are? We have a few great spots near the main southern freeway that brings out the best in the 250. If what these guys are saying turns out to be true, I can't wait for her to get up to 2000-3000km to bring more out. I am not worried about resale at all, as these things are rarer than hens teeth in WA. Happy driving!

Hi Cannon, awesome choice. I test drove the Cup on the 3rd of Sept, picked it up on the 8th. I'm in Perth, not sure where you guys are? We have a few great spots near the main southern freeway that brings out the best in the 250. If what these guys are saying turns out to be true, I can't wait for her to get up to 2000-3000km to bring more out. I am not worried about resale at all, as these things are rarer than hens teeth in WA. Happy driving!

I am really enjoying the RS250 ... it is a bit embarrassing just going and sitting in the car .. but there is much to learn about this crazy French car ... its ergonomics are quite different to other makes of cars that I have owned recently.

I live about 15 minutes from the Old Pacific Highway at Berowra (NSW) so I can go and enjoy the bends going down to the Hawkesbury ... an absolute pleasure in the RS250

The car is AWESOME .... totally enjoying the experience.

Just had the front windows tinted out by my favourite tint man ($120) ... now looks even better

Still yet to actually see one on the road and I am on the road all day .. damn they are scarce

Liking the attitude better now :P Glad you're enjoying the Meg.

They are all on here.

Well done mate, lets hope you are converted and never speak of those "peoples cars" again.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I still have a love of the peoples car .... my very first car was a VW and the Golf GT was my 25th car. Not bad in 38 years of driving

Yes the Megane has a certain flair to the design and I have had nothing but cimpliments on how it looks .

The best joke about reliability was my tint man saying they are not reliable and me saying apparently they have improved to have him point to behind me to see two mecahnics from another garage trying to start a dead Clio Sport in the street :lol::lol:

Like you I have owned quite a few cars and with experience I have decided it's more different models and lemon cars than who makes them, it can even come down to what year the car was made, a 2005 Megane may be a dog were a 2006 might be the most reelable car you will own.

I was told I would need rose tinted glasses when I got mine but have been quite shocked with how well it has gone.

I'm sure you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

cannon - congrats !

as to reliabilty , i had a VAG product , a brand new 997 gt3 that was nothing but trouble . big trouble . all 997 gt3 are - theres a major engine fault they wont do a recall on . every owner i've spoken to [ and theres quite a few ] has the same problem .

so don't worry about the RS , the renault engines go forever .

Save your money and buy a Scirocco R now that's a car.....

Errrrrr ... maybe you should not post after a few drinks .... I already own the Megane and as I said am very happy with it now :D:D

The one big difference that I have found between the Renault and the VW? ....... the controls and switches are far more intuitive in the VW. The Renault is lame .... but hey .... the drive is awesome