New member saying hi

Arrow29

Hi all,

Signed up to these forums the other day as part of my search for info on the Megane RS250. I don't actually own one as of yet, but am looking to purchase sometime in the next 6 months so starting my research early. Have narrowed my choices down to a Golf GTi/R and the RS250 Cup/Trophee - having seen the RS250 at the Perth motor show recently definitely has pushed me in the direction of the RS though =) Now just to go test driving and see if I love it as much as all the magazines seem to!

Hi all,

Signed up to these forums the other day as part of my search for info on the Megane RS250. I don't actually own one as of yet, but am looking to purchase sometime in the next 6 months so starting my research early. Have narrowed my choices down to a Golf GTi/R and the RS250 Cup/Trophee - having seen the RS250 at the Perth motor show recently definitely has pushed me in the direction of the RS though =) Now just to go test driving and see if I love it as much as all the magazines seem to!

Hi!

Well you've come to the right spot. I am about to give you the most important info and advice you will hear in your quest to find a Golf R or RS250.

I ordered a Golf R in October last year with all the options (Bar DSG and Recaro seats), and was given a 6 (which became 9 - and therefore contract void) month wait time on it. I was called up once by my local Renault dealer trying to convince me to test drive the Megane 250 (as I had previously bought a 182 Cup Clio from them), which I declined due to having ordered the Golf (and being afraid of falling in love with the Renault).

Two weeks later I got the dreaded call from VW informing me that my car would now be arriving 3-6 months later than originally stated on the document. At this stage I vowed to kick on and wait for the R. I began to feel curious about the Megane 250 and started to read the road comparos, and reviews that I had purposely been ignoring. One saturday night when out with my mates, we were chatting about the Golf R and the Megane 250, and my old Clio 182 when it hit me - I needed to test drive the Megane 250, to be sure I wasn't making a mistake with the VW.

The rest of the story is quick and easy. The Monday morning I called Renault, and organised a test drive in the afternoon after work. I test drove a Luna Grey demo (now owned by BigVix - such is the close community we are), and signed for a brand new silver one as soon as I got back in the showroom. I forgot the Golf R then and there and have not looked back.

I trust this information now negates your need to think about which car to buy, so that now you only need to find your way to your local Renault dealer ASAP, and get your ass into a Meg250.

Hi all,

I also looked at the Golf GTi/R series of vehicles at one point of my life but after a fair bit of info searching, found them to be a bit bland in appearance both interior and exterior wise. They are a dime a dozen on the road and my heart was telling me that if I was going to hand over some good amount of cash that the car I got had to be a bit more special.

I'm certainly not a Golf basher as I almost purchased one for my wife after I got the RS250, but the Megane felt that much more sure of it self when I went for the test drives. The styling is much more unique and I prefer getting the look from people as they give the thumbs up where ever I may go.

The RS250 wasn't even my intial choice of car, I was originally in the market for a Mazda 3 MPS as my previous 4 rides have been Mazda's. Funny how things changed so quickly that I am to be behind the wheel of an Renaultsport. I for one never looked back on my decision as everything feels just right!

Thanks for the replies guys :) great to see such passion for your cars! Indeed it is the things mentioned that is steering me toward the RS over the golf; ultimately I want something with performance and the RS just seems to not compromise on that aspect as much. Will call up the dealer tomorrow and see if they have any available for test drive (only 2 dealers in Perth) and go from there!

Thanks for the replies guys :) great to see such passion for your cars! Indeed it is the things mentioned that is steering me toward the RS over the golf; ultimately I want something with performance and the RS just seems to not compromise on that aspect as much. Will call up the dealer tomorrow and see if they have any available for test drive (only 2 dealers in Perth) and go from there!

You definitely have to try the RS250. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed.

all the best with Arrow... should work out with the 250, hard to believe it wouldn't.

But,that's what test drives are for, so have at it.

See you around the forum after that.

Cheers,

WOLF

Thanks a lot everyone for the warm welcome and advice. To be honest I'm pretty much decided on the RS, just want to test drive it to finalise the decision. Will let you all know how it goes and, all going to plan, you'll be sure to see a lot more of me in the future with my new ride.

Welcome, arrow! :)

The depth of talent available from the chassis is well beyond what you'll experience on the test drive. As with all others new to the RS family, I look forward to reading your progress down the path. :)

Get the Golf.

Oh alright, I don't really mean that I'm just trying to make myself feel better (recently acquired a GTI due to lack of Renaults in the USA).

Nothing compares to the joy of driving an RS. Good luck with your decision, and welcome :)

Get the Golf.

Oh alright, I don't really mean that I'm just trying to make myself feel better (recently acquired a GTI due to lack of Renaults in the USA).

Nothing compares to the joy of driving an RS. Good luck with your decision, and welcome :)

Such a common response from people living in the USA. Shame there isn't the same Renaultsport exposure over there because there are so many comments from American locals who read all the awesome write ups and reviews on the web that have to settle for the typical US mishmash of vehicles with no choice on the great RS's.

Well an update, called my local dealer and they have a Cup demo available so I'll be going for a test drive either tomorrow or Wednesday. They said there's a lot of bookings for test drives Wednesday evenings, pretty much booked out from 6pm onwards. I wonder if it's always been like that or if the recent Perth Motor Show on last weekend has spiked interest.

EDIT: Can anyone tell me if there are any differences in the suspension set-up between the Cup and the Cup Trophee? From my understanding the main differences are the (awesome) recaros, keyless entry, 19s, TPM and diff stereo.

No differences in suspension from the cup to the Cup Trophee, just the 19"s.

Test driving a Cup tomorrow morning, so will post my thoughts afterwards. Have booked a test drive of a Golf GTi on Friday to compare, but I think I probably already know the answer to which I'll like more..

Arrow, I actually test drove the Golf R (VW Osborne Park) against the RS 250 before I bought my car... and you know how that comparison turned out!

Golf GTi or the Golf R are great cars, don't get me wrong. But they are a dime a dozen, are too conservative in their styling for my tastes and feel heavy and lack that finesse and lightness of movement that I've always enjoyed in my cars (my previous ride was an NC MX-5). I did wonder if the Scirroco would be any different but then we are talking about the famous VW waiting lists and I wasn't keen on waiting for half a year for my new ride.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts after your test drives.

Ben

Hi Arrow,

I, like others, think you'll make the right choice and we'll be reading your posts pretty soon about what a great choice it is!

Must say, depending on where you're driving over in WA (and there are some great roads), you might chew up some CSC5Ps pretty quickly! Some of the road surfaces (and cattle grates in the country) will murder them - could be a consideration re wheel size & factory rubber.

I was fortunate to have some pretty up-front salespeople who answered all of my pre-purchase questions openly, and offered a few bits of info along the way (like needing to replace rotors and pads at the same time (?). Maybe that had something to do with the way I was punishing the brakes on the demo??? :wink: )

So, I knew before I purchased that there's about $3K replacement cost per corner (at maximum July 2011 prices). CSC5Ps have already come down about $400 per corner in the 6 weeks since I bought it (glad I didn't go with the novated lease!!!). I'm pretty sure I can do better than $2K for pads/rotors, even if they do need to be replaced at the same time (can't I WOLF?)

RE: which setting you can put it into - I was the pax on the first half of the first test drive, most of which was in "Extreme" mode. If they don't make you drive in at least "Sport" ("Extreme" just might be impractical!), they're not trying hard enough. :D

All the best,

bozz

Just got back from my test drive of a Cup. The main take away feelings I have are - wow, what a fun & exciting car! The standard seats were actually still nice and supportive (hadn't seen a cup prior to today), the engine had great torque from quite low rpms and the handling was just so composed and flat. Took some roundabouts and a couple of corners quite spiritedly and the car just took them with ease, didn't break a sweat. I get the feeling that owning this car I'd be actively making excuses to go searching for nice roads to drive. So overall, very impressed!

Test driving the golf GTi tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes, but I think I already know that it won't give me the excitement that I'm after. Dealer said if I am to order a car with my own spec (I'd want a cup with xenons) it will be a 4-5 month wait, which fits well with me as I will be going away for a couple of months at the end of the year so January would be ideal. Have you guys found that the 4-5 month wait is true? I wouldn't wanna order and have it arrive in November and be sitting at the dealer for 2 months whilst I'm overseas!

Now to start some negotiations between dealers.

Went for a test drive in the golf GTi today. I must say, it's a very nice car. I can see why it's so popular. Engine had a lot of torque down low, DSG made it all very easy and in terms of interior feel, it's quite a step up from the RS250 - just a nice place to be.

But! The RS had noticeably more punch, especially top end and the overall handling and feedback was just really in another league. Actually went on some of the same roads as I did with the RS and though roundabouts and corners the GTi was just softer overall. It's by no means a bad handling car, but it really highlighted just how amazing the RS chassis is.

The lasting impression i had was this; if I was buying a car for my fiance that I'd find enjoyable to drive on wkends, itd be the golf. But if i could have the keys tO either to go for a drive, I'd pick the RS everytime. It's just a lot more..exciting.

So looks like I'll be seeing you guys around soon :D

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, some closure. Picked up the car this afternoon and haven't stopped either staring or driving it until now :) Looks even more stunning in the drive way than in the dealer lot. It's hard keeping the revs down during run-in period, but still managing to have fun around corners and fiddling with the RS monitor!

Only gripe with the whole experience is a scratch that that I found on the rear bumper as soon as I got home - not huge, but reasonable in size and has gone through the paint. I immediately called the dealer and they said to bring it in on Thursday morning when the painter is there and they'll see if they can fix it. Not sure if a simple touch up will be enough and they should have picked it up before delivery, but will see how it goes on Thursday.