Another R26 joins the forum

R26guy

welcome michael , hope to see you at the next nats . the uplifting presence of the R26 is always good !

Thanks for the welcome.

Can anyone tell me how to paste photos of my car here?

I get the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" which would seem to indicate I can't do it!

With all these RS cars in Canberra it should be pretty easy to set up a drive out in the Brindies sometime soon.

Cheers,

And we're all friendly enough :P

Well, apart from strife. And maybe Dish. :lol:

Not true. I'm only mean to you Griff (cos you like that kinda thing).

Hang on - am I not meant to be speaking to you at the moment? :?

Hang on - am I not meant to be speaking to you at the moment? :?

:D

Not sure, I did put up pictures of the abomination in question.

However, Boydy is also coming up to Winton on Saturday to race with me, so I'll get to see the 200 in full flight again.

On balance, the answer is probably yes. :popcorn:

Hey,

I know this isn't an RS car, but it shares the same outgoing traits and Gaulic flare of the RSs.

I love the orange wheels! (And it has chequers on the roof-it has to be good...)

DS3R.jpg

Anyone know if these things are coming to Australia? How many? How much?

Is there a place on this forum for discussions about non-Renaults? (If there is, it isn't obvious.)

Ciao,

OK - since someone asked; a bit about me and my R26.

I am a Canuck. Lived in Canberra since 1992 though.

Vehicle history:

Highlights: Porsche 911, 5-litre Mustang racing car, AE86 Corolla rally car, mk2 GTI

Lowlight: Volvo 244

2 wheels with motor: Yamaha XS400, Kawasaki GPZ750, Kawasaki KDX200

2 wheels without motor: Corima Puma, Felt DA, Cannondale Tandem, Cannondale Super V (x3), Cannondale Cyclocross, Trek Fuel EX 9.0, Titus Fireline 29er, Gary Fisher Rig, Norco Java and at least a dozen more (check out my website for more on the pushie side of things http://www.michaelhanslip.com).

Came to Canberra to do a PhD at ANU and stuck around.

The easiest car to sell was the Corolla - my co-driver snapped it up before I had to tell anyone else it was for sale.

The hardest was the Mustang - it was so fast and razor-edged that it scared every person who test drove it.

How did I pick an RS R26? Elimination really. WRX - nope. MPS3 - couldn't supply. Swift Sport - too small. XR5 - no cruise. Astra VXR - dealer wasn't interested in selling me one. Ralliart Colt - too cheap, too manic.

So I drove the RS 225 3-door in the rain and when I got it sliding through the roundabout (terrifying the salesman in the process) I was sold (he said "I didn't know it would go that fast ... in the dry"). But the 3-doors didn't have the cup chassis or the LSD or the yellow paint.

Current job is not related to wheels - boring (but pays the bills).

Funnest job was working in a shop that mod'd mostly Mustangs and GTIs in Canadia. Engines, suspensions, sound systems.

Would love to hook up with some RS drivers for a spin through the hills around ACT.

Shame you missed out on our National Meet held only a few weekends ago in the Goulburn area.

BTW, I LOL'd at your reference to "Canadia". We have another Megane owning Canuck here - NFG.

Canuck eh?

When i was 2yrs of age, Plan B was to come to OZ. Hope different my life would have been strating off in Maple leaf country. Something about those tundras calls out to me.

Cheers,

WOLF...inevitably with Plan A or B.

How did I pick an RS R26? Elimination really. WRX - nope. MPS3 - couldn't supply. Swift Sport - too small. XR5 - no cruise. Astra VXR - dealer wasn't interested in selling me one. Ralliart Colt - too cheap, too manic.

So I drove the RS 225 3-door in the rain and when I got it sliding through the roundabout (terrifying the salesman in the process) I was sold (he said "I didn't know it would go that fast ... in the dry"). But the 3-doors didn't have the cup chassis or the LSD or the yellow paint.

Quite an illustrious car resume you've got, especially interesting with the rally car as I'm think of getting into rally myself at grassroots level.

Random question though, what made u decide against the wrx? I seem to commonly see this pattern, wrx drivers going to rsms or deciding for a rsm over a wrx

Random question though, what made u decide against the wrx? I seem to commonly see this pattern, wrx drivers going to rsms or deciding for a rsm over a wrx

The new body WRX was (is) ugly. The seats were designed for fat Americans. People on this forum complain a bit about the quality of the OEM radio system in the RS cars, but in comparison to the one in the WRX the Renault has a live symphony orchestra on board. And it rolled like a barge in high seas.

So if I bought one I would have had to modify the suspension (sway bars, spring, shocks, bushings, end links - at least), change the seats (2 Recaros or similar) and completely replace the sound system. It would still be butt ugly.

With the R26 - even though I still feel "done" by the fact that Australian ones don't have Recaro seats but the rest of the world did get them - I got comfortable seats, OK sound, and handling that didn't need any modification to keep me happy.