2nd time lucky - back in an RSC.

DanSA

Not really a Newbie, but for those who don’t know, I’m back in an RSC, this time a Mk1 172 Cup in Silver, and very happy too.. :hyper:

Purchased from Michael over in Sydney, who has done a great job looking after it since new, not one rattle or squeak to be heard! Car had 75.5k on the clock, now up to 79k after driving her back thru the Blue Mountains, Hay plain , and Pineroo to SA. Averaged 7.2L/100km, and dealt with the rain, flooded highways and long stints perfectly. (5hrs one day, 9.5hrs day after)

She’s stock standard, with original letter of authenticity, full books, Bang for your Buck 2001 magazine, and pre delivery photos. Timing & Acc belt done at 75k, so hopefully no repeats of the Mk2 experience… :news:

Only a couple of things to look at, none of them urgent:

Steering wheel will need a re-trim as per most Mk1’s – will get this recovered locally.

Plastic silver inserts on the inside of the doors need a re-spray due to Renaults interesting rubberized paint.. nice DIY project.

One of the engine mounts is allowing the engine to move back in its cradle, under full power only, touching the exhaust to body by the sounds of it. This only happens in 1st and 2nd, and is easily avoided by driving style – only did it twice on the whole trip back.

I’m really chuffed to have scored a nice Mk1 for something different, and now just need to sell my Octavia RS - if anyone is after a great deal – PM me :D

Thanks all, and see you around the hills.. :nod:

Dan

PS: Pic’s to follow…

Congrats Dan! Great to see you back 8)

You still going to follow that 'budget buildup' thread??

Congrats Dan! Great to see you back 8)

You still going to follow that 'budget buildup' thread??

Short term - no, times are a bit tough, hence the move to a cheaper car.

Long term (hope to have this one for 4yrs plus) - hell yeah! As funds permit..

Just going to enjoy it stock for now and fix the minor things to get it back to A1.

Cheers

Congrats Dan !

Ive only ever seen a Mk1 in Adelaide once. That was probably over a month ago.A black one. Some asian chick driving one down South road over port road heading south. Hope to see yours around the place some day soon :wink:

Cheers

Steve

Those roads look familiar, like when i drove from NSW all the way through to Adelaide. Nice open roads, but i found it all a little depressing. Why ? Because you go from the beautiful luscious green scenery of NSW and slowly but surely the sceneray becomes, browner and browner, drier and drier :( Hello ! Welomce back to SA ! The desert state ! Doh !

Cheers

Steve

Welcome back Dan. Congratulations too on having such an exclusive car

Hope we can see you up the Hillclimb

Cheers Pete

They come back... they always come back :twisted:

Welcome back Dan!

Dovla, just remembered I still haven't sent you your sticker :oops:

Will take care of that in the next coupla days!

Thanks guys.

Just got round to transfering her over to SA plates, went the Euro stlye as i like the fit.

Pics:

img2137fct.th.jpg

img2131v.th.jpg

img2136.th.jpg

and inside, showing the soon to be recovered steering wheel:

img2134.th.jpg

They come back... they always come back :twisted:

That's what worries me!

Welcome back Dan - great choice going the rare Mk1. Hope it is as enjoyable as the first :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow - Noticed yesterday that I just turned over 10,000kms since buying the Ph1.

and 4 months to the day almost..

Doesn't time (or km) fly when you are having fun! :D

Shes been perfectly reliable so far, and no complaints with the freezing winter mornings..

Think it may be time to treat it to some new gear... :news:

Dan, who's got our old black 172 now ?

Christ , that was a fast car, and a prize with your new motor too

Glad you've better luck with your current beauty

cheers pete

Never saw it again Pete, went to a Croatian guy in Adelaide, think he worked at the airport..

Wolf - Not entirely sure yet.. Have a limited budget but want to do it right. CAr is stock at the moment apart from K-Tec Group N Engine Mounts, and Green Cotton filter. Has 89k on the clock.

Option 1 - Replace the stock suspension with Bilstein B14 kit

- AST Strut tops with in built camber adjustment. -

- Replace old Michy PP2's with Toyo R1-Rs

- No engine mods for a while (budget)

Option 2 - Replace stock suspension with Eibach Pro kit springs and Koni Yellows with whiteline camber bolts

- Toyo R1-R's

- K-tec Stealth Exhaust and RS Tuner

Any comments welcome..

Dan.

Dan, from what you've said and from my experience,...best bang for buck is, in order of preference

RS Tuner

Yellow Konis

AAA exhaust, Richmond

Khumo KU36's

Whiteline rear swaybar

Green Cotton or some other inexpensive intake improvement

Waste of time and money for you are....

Eibach springs

Camber bolts

Any Expensive.......... suspensions,coil overs,exhaust systems, intake systems and tyres

If you decide to go track, add DS2500's with race fluid and used 15x7 track wheels

happy days, pete

Dan, from what you've said and from my experience,...best bang for buck is, in order of preference

RS Tuner

Yellow Konis

AAA exhaust, Richmond

Khumo KU36's

Whiteline rear swaybar

Green Cotton or some other inexpensive intake improvement

Waste of time and money for you are....

Eibach springs

Camber bolts

Any Expensive.......... suspensions,coil overs,exhaust systems, intake systems and tyres

If you decide to go track, add DS2500's with race fluid and used 15x7 track wheels

happy days, pete

That actually sounds very agreeable. Questions for Pete though:

- do Kumho KU36's come in a 15' and 16'? (KU31 yes, please advise if certain)

- AAA exhaust, is that the actual brand as well as location etc? (think i knwo what you mean - local)

- Koni Yellows, by themselves with standard springs?

All in all, a great way to start, only improve when reeeally needed, yeah?

Dan, re tyres check with Darryl , Tyrepower 83702195

re exhaust, ph AAA on 83527444

re Konis, yes, fully adjustable from above the car,........... results in whatever ride u want.............harsh springs eg eibachs, kings etc simply stiffen to the point of

a. less enjoyment on our roads

b, no quicker times on the track............ been there , done that,.........konis are all you need

cheers pete

Thank all for the comments. :popcorn:

re Tyres Pete I have lately been thru - in no particular order and on diff cars; Toyo T1R, Adrenalin R001, Michy PP2, Conti Sport Contacts and Maxxi's.. so getting a fair idea of whats good/crap, and what to pay for em..

Next for the RSC will be the R1-Rs or the Federal RSR's as I want something fun for summer and i always like to try something different..

Re the suspension upgrade, Yellows would be the obvious choice I agreee, as i know they work from experience, and the bang for your buck is great too.. However.. as mentioned Im a stickler for something different, and I am also after something that has reduced body roll /increased stability thru fast sweepers and changes in elevation, as this is my daily drive and im finding shes moving about too much.. Hence looking at going up to the next level with some matched springs/dampers in the form of the B14's. Initial research confirms they are a well engineered product and prolly the best setup without spending crazy money - but they are a lot more than yellows etc (approx $1500 a set from UK, plus frieght etc, locally anywhere up to $3,150)

re Exhaust. Again it being my daily , I dont want something droney or too loud, like my last one. The last one i ended up flanging , so i could swap it for the stock muffler for daily gring - it was simply too loud. I rate AAA highly as do others, but i think if im going to do the exhaust this time, i want something specifically designed for the car, and engineered to suit (like the B14's) and as per Cooopers vid, its sounds good and is striaght bolt up (hence saving labour, again same as B14's)

As you can probably tell, I want to do it right first time, this time round, and not have to swap it later down the track (no pun intended) due to the equipment being a compromise. Hence why i am starting with the foundations - new rear brakes and bearings, new air filter, motul rbf600 and excellium fluids, uprated engine mounts and strut tops etc.. before all the engine stuff.. Back to basics if u will.

Anyways - gave her a wash, and polish with Meguiars NXT wax etc today - she desrved a bit of TLC and has come up a treat. 8)

Cheers all, and thanks again - keep u posted... :)

Dan

Souns like your on the right track Dan. You make some interesting points based on experience, and also wanting to be diffrent. A bit like me sometimes :wink:

I am currently running the R1R Kumho tyres. Im not the ideal candidate for a review, as I dont track my car or take it anywhere its limits. Well i do test it from time to time but i dont get enough heat into the tyres, engine, transmission to really give a detailed analysis. What i have noticed about the R1R's though is they tend to give me a little more oversteer than the original michy's. Not sure exactly why this is ? possibly due to the extra width (205 as opposed to original 195) as well as the grippier rubber of course ? What they are like when up to temperature once again i cant comment. I want to give it a full test on a hill climb as Petes mentioned one of these days, but im just not sure if i can make the dead line Pete has posted in another thread.

Pete, I did notice a little bit of farting from your exhaust that day when you drove off from my house up at Burnside, im assuming you had a AAA exhaust. To be honest i was'nt to keen on that sound, not sure what its like from inside the cabin though. Maybe its ok from there ?.

Look forward to your progress Dan.

Steve

Sure Dan , good luck with it, you as ever techno head guru, just don't let her see this site or your bank statements

Steve, your'e talking about the orange Clio are you?............ yes it was a AAA, and I never care what they sound like outside, long as they come up with the right numbers on the dyno and the track. I do like to hear what the motor is doing inside the car though, prob getting deaf in my geri years

The 26 is pretty quiet with the AAA 3" system, but you can certainly hear it inside the car

cheers pete

Quote back from Kam Racing:

Bilstein B14 kit and AST Solid Strup Top Mounts with camber adjustment: 850 quid, or approx $1640 AUD.

Local freight is 15 quid, then just need to get it out here... :news:

Pro Kit Eibach springs $500, Koni yellows $960, Whiteline Camber Bolts $75, or $1540 all up, plus freight.

Decision time...... :?

Quote back from Kam Racing:

Bilstein B14 kit and AST Solid Strup Top Mounts with camber adjustment: 850 quid, or approx $1640 AUD.

Local freight is 15 quid, then just need to get it out here... :news:

Pro Kit Eibach springs $500, Koni yellows $960, Whiteline Camber Bolts $75, or $1540 all up, plus freight.

Decision time...... :?

Hmmm... 2 questions:

- how much does each package deal above weigh?

- how much have they quoted you for shipping to OZ?

Sorry Wolf, should have clarified.

Kam Racing UK just quoting on the B14/AST combo. Freight was 15quid to my folks place. I then have two options, ask them to bring it out in November, or get them to send it Royal Mail , online quote suggests approx $200-250

Other prices quoted for Eibachs and konis etc are all local quotes., so local freight.