Greetings all, nice to meet you

Damon

Hi guys (and gals),

My name is Damon Dupriez and I've just joined ozrenaultsport after becoming the recent proud owner of a MK2 Clio Sport. I'm a motoring journalist and have been enjoying this career for a dozen years now, having worked on titles like Hot4s, Auto Salon Magazine, SPEED, Street Machine and various others. I also was involved in the Auto Salon show series for many years and did some DVDs for Meguiars under the Motor Active banner.

I've owned a great number of interesting cars over the years including Brock Commodores, 200SXs, WRXs, an R33 GTR and, more recently, I was custodian of the blue Hot4s EVO VII project car that was sponsored by Yokohama. Mid last year I returned to freelance work and needed to buy myself a fun runabout that was frugal, cheap to insure, wouldn't get stolen or get me carjacked (which happened in the GTR as some of you may have read about in print), was fun to drive and - above all - unlike anything I had ever owned before.

I had my eye on the Clio Sport for many years but it wasn't until now that buying one made so much sense. I bought a silver MK2 from a wholesaler in Queensland a month ago and I would like to thank all the tireless ozrenaultsport members for thier work as posts on here did help with the purchase no end. I also used some of the DIY tutorials for a couple of small projects I've already done on the car including a spark plug change and an audio upgrade.

If any of you are Hot4s readers you may see my column titled 'The Word' pop up in a month or so which talks about the purchase of my Clio and why I chose it. Hot4s readers are rather blinkered towards riced up Lancers or chrome wheeled WRXs these days (I'm partly to blame I suppose) but hopefully I can get some editorial about Clios in there in some measure. I've approached the editor to use it as a project but alas I think he'll be too conservative to stick a 'dirty French car' in Hot4s with any regularity. Business does dictate that they must feature cars that attract advertisers too and the Clio isn't exactly going to help there. Then again the editor drives a minitruck so who knows?

I also believe I may own Australia's highest mileage Clio Sport. It has a whopping 185,000 kays on it! But while this is rather extreme for a 2002 model car it came from the country, had one owner, and has full service history so fingers crossed it will remain reliable for me.

For those curious I paid just $10,000 for it. Makes you wanna cry, huh?

I plan on being a daily visitor to ozrenaultsport and will post when I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute, but my knowledge level of Clios is growing day by day. Once again thanks and I look forward to being a positive member of the forum.

Cheers,

Damon

Congratulations Damon, and may she give you many trouble-free and enjoyable k's.

I've lusted after one of these litl'uns since I drove the press pre-release cup in 2000.

Best of luck convincing the management to take it on as a project - I think there will be a heap of interest from various parties here if it does happen.

There is a real melting-pot of owners here, many first-time Renault owners and some who have owned nothing else. It's a great community, and those who have knowledge of these "wee beasties" are usually fairly friendly and happy to share the love.

Enjoy.

Since much of my experience is in the car audio field I'll probably spend a fair bit of time delving into this aspect of the Clio first up. I've spent a couple of days ferreting around the car so far and will have some input into audio based questions for sure.

The first nut to crack is the main power cable through the bonnet release grommet. When I do mine I'll take some pics and produce a DIY if I get time. I'll also be doing speaker upgrades plus a fibreglass spare wheel well subwoofer enclosure.

Damon, a warm G'day from the Jeffster, I have always lamented the marketing of the wee beasty, given the broad reach acrss age an demographic of the marquee I can't see why they aren't smarter about how to market it.

In some ways I am glad that the "ricer ethic" on Hot4's doesn't translate well to the Clio, I like how it's still a sleeper 8)

No offence to the mags you work on or to you personally, but I have always enjoyed the exclusive and quirky pedigreee of the badge.

May your new purchase give you many happy days motoring and enjoy your stay on OZRS :P

Hi guys (and gals),

My name is Damon Dupriez and I've just joined ozrenaultsport after becoming the recent proud owner of a MK2 Clio Sport. I'm a motoring journalist and have been enjoying this career for a dozen years now, having worked on titles like Hot4s, Auto Salon Magazine, SPEED, Street Machine and various others. I also was involved in the Auto Salon show series for many years and did some DVDs for Meguiars under the Motor Active banner.

I've owned a great number of interesting cars over the years including Brock Commodores, 200SXs, WRXs, an R33 GTR and, more recently, I was custodian of the blue Hot4s EVO VII project car that was sponsored by Yokohama. Mid last year I returned to freelance work and needed to buy myself a fun runabout that was frugal, cheap to insure, wouldn't get stolen or get me carjacked (which happened in the GTR as some of you may have read about in print), was fun to drive and - above all - unlike anything I had ever owned before.

I had my eye on the Clio Sport for many years but it wasn't until now that buying one made so much sense. I bought a silver MK2 from a wholesaler in Queensland a month ago and I would like to thank all the tireless ozrenaultsport members for thier work as posts on here did help with the purchase no end. I also used some of the DIY tutorials for a couple of small projects I've already done on the car including a spark plug change and an audio upgrade.

If any of you are Hot4s readers you may see my column titled 'The Word' pop up in a month or so which talks about the purchase of my Clio and why I chose it. Hot4s readers are rather blinkered towards riced up Lancers or chrome wheeled WRXs these days (I'm partly to blame I suppose) but hopefully I can get some editorial about Clios in there in some measure. I've approached the editor to use it as a project but alas I think he'll be too conservative to stick a 'dirty French car' in Hot4s with any regularity. Business does dictate that they must feature cars that attract advertisers too and the Clio isn't exactly going to help there. Then again the editor drives a minitruck so who knows?

I also believe I may own Australia's highest mileage Clio Sport. It has a whopping 185,000 kays on it! But while this is rather extreme for a 2002 model car it came from the country, had one owner, and has full service history so fingers crossed it will remain reliable for me.

For those curious I paid just $10,000 for it. Makes you wanna cry, huh?

I plan on being a daily visitor to ozrenaultsport and will post when I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute, but my knowledge level of Clios is growing day by day. Once again thanks and I look forward to being a positive member of the forum.

Cheers,

Damon

Welcome to OzRS mate :mrgreen: Happy motoring and glad our humble forum helped. :)

Hey mate, congrats on the buy. Great price too!

Have to say though, i used to read your car audio pages like a bible when i was younger, so i can now finally BLAME you for all the countless hours ive spent putting systems in mates, neighbours and families cars.

J/K, youve taught me everything i know

Lookin foward to seeing what you do with the clio system wise.

Hi Damon :D

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen: ...............hope the little clio keeps you happy for a while to come :D

Also great to see another Sydney sider join - them VIC boys think they own the joint with the amount of new members joining from mexico :lol:

Enjoy the forum

Cheers,

Brendan

Welcome mate!!

Nice to finally see a new Sydney-sider with all these bloody Mexicans :mrgreen: j/k!!

I'm sure all your car audio knowledge will be well valued here

Enjoy,

Alex

I also believe I may own Australia's highest mileage Clio Sport. It has a whopping 185,000 kays on it!

Welcome aboard Damon. Just wondering with the service history of your car, if it came with all the invoices etc. It may be interesting to post up any major replacements on the car, it would give a bit of an insight as to what could wear out and when on the Clio. All the better if nothing major has been replaced! :)

I went through the service manual prior to purchase and there were no major replacements required that I could see other than regular consumables. While in my reckoning the car still runs great it does have a few buzzes and rattles about it here and there, while the engine isn;t the smoothest I've come across - yet it still pulls strongly and doesn't blow smoke or anything like that. With no other point of comparison for the Clio Sport I have had to assume that this is the way they are. Aside from badly fouling it plugs (which looked about 120000 kays old when I pulled them out!) the engine has been faultless, leaks no oil or water, and the only strange one is a tendance not to start on the first key turn. Though if you switch the ignition off then on again it fires straight up no dramas.

Most of the things I have found to be just idiosynchracies, like the use of security screws to hold the car together instead of 10mm bolts and phillips head screws. Or things just clip off...

The interior trim has fared extremely well for such high kays, and the only stand out wear item is of course the rubber thumb parts of the steering wheel. The driver's side one is toast and I had to glue it back together. I doubt a second owner of a 185000 kay car could claim it under warranty...

I went through the service manual prior to purchase and there were no major replacements required that I could see other than regular consumables. While in my reckoning the car still runs great it does have a few buzzes and rattles about it here and there, while the engine isn;t the smoothest I've come across - yet it still pulls strongly and doesn't blow smoke or anything like that....

It's normal for the RSC 172/182 idles "lumpy" 95 or 98 not a lot of difference (some say) I've run mine once on 95 (absolute sh*te) 98 Optimax (sh*te) Ulimate (pretty good so far) Mine has a few buzzes and rattles, It's French. I reckon as the ride is fairly hard/firm (prefer this, naturally) creaks and rattle will bound to occur.

With no other point of comparison for the Clio Sport I have had to assume that this is the way they are. Aside from badly fouling it plugs (which looked about 120000 kays old when I pulled them out!) the engine has been faultless, leaks no oil or water, and the only strange one is a tendance not to start on the first key turn. Though if you switch the ignition off then on again it fires straight up no dramas.

Two key turn to start. It's normal for some. Most swtich ignition on, off. Then on, crank over. Some say dirty TDC. Fuel pumps/dirty fuel.

Most of the things I have found to be just idiosynchracies, like the use of security screws to hold the car together instead of 10mm bolts and phillips head screws. Or things just clip off...

:lol:

The interior trim has fared extremely well for such high kays, and the only stand out wear item is of course the rubber thumb parts of the steering wheel. The driver's side one is toast and I had to glue it back together. I doubt a second owner of a 185000 kay car could claim it under warranty...

The rubber thumb inserts are the bane of some RSC owners here. One member from Adelaide had some leather inserts put in. Rather nice. Hopefully they'll post a piccy for you.

As your closer to 200 than most of us. Let us know how it goes.

I went through the service manual prior to purchase and there were no major replacements required that I could see other than regular consumables. While in my reckoning the car still runs great it does have a few buzzes and rattles about it here and there, while the engine isn;t the smoothest I've come across - yet it still pulls strongly and doesn't blow smoke or anything like that. With no other point of comparison for the Clio Sport I have had to assume that this is the way they are. Aside from badly fouling it plugs (which looked about 120000 kays old when I pulled them out!) the engine has been faultless, leaks no oil or water, and the only strange one is a tendance not to start on the first key turn. Though if you switch the ignition off then on again it fires straight up no dramas.

Hey mate, there is a sticky in technical for tracking down the odd rattle and buzz.

With the hard to start issue that is very common, could be a dirty TDC, or Fuel pump, battery, etc. But yours doesn't sound to bad maybe check out the TDC as that is easy and free :P

My car is still off the road but would be happy to let you have a drive in it when it get's back on the road, maybe you can come for a night run in the Nasho?

The rattle sticky is in FAQ:

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=870&start=0

I've already arranged to have the steering wheel retrimmed in leather so that will fix the main bug bear of the car for now. Today I'm going to reset the ECU, replace the front door speakers with something larger, and see if I can work out how best to get a thick power cable through the bonnet release cable grommet.

Pardon my ignorance but TDC says 'Top Dead Centre' to me in car parlance. You obviously mean something else.

I've already arranged to have the steering wheel retrimmed in leather so that will fix the main bug bear of the car for now. Today I'm going to reset the ECU, replace the front door speakers with something larger, and see if I can work out how best to get a thick power cable through the bonnet release cable grommet.

Pardon my ignorance but TDC says 'Top Dead Centre' to me in car parlance. You obviously mean something else.

That's what i meant as well :?

8)

8)

There is a tutorial for cleaning the TDC sensor this has help people with the cold start issue and rough idle, good luck with the projects today :P

8)

There is a tutorial for cleaning the TDC sensor this has help people with the cold start issue and rough idle, good luck with the projects today :P

What...

On here or elsewhere :?:

8)

What...

On here or elsewhere :?:

There is a link to a cliosport one on here somewhere, we should make it a sticky in FAQ if it's not already, I don't have the problem but I remeber reading it for sure :P

Damon

FYI. Leather Thumb Grip piccys http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... ght=#67367

Best I could do on short notice need to eat breakfast and write a bloody proposal:

TDC2.jpg

TDC1.jpg

Basically, turn off igniton, remove airbox - bit with filter(2 X10mms, pull it forward & up) You should see the sensor it runs from front to back, undo both 10mm bolts - don't drop them in the bell housing, unclip sensor and away you go, chances are it'll be dusty as anything. Tighten 2 terminals on block plug (staying on car)

If you buy a sensor from Renault you'll get a loom aswell with 2 ready togo solder joints, you'll need a small blowtorch

Hmm, interesting. So you are suggesting to completely replace this item? Thanks for the pics and guide.

No Damo, most people just clean it and it seems to work, Racing Roo did it recently and solved his cold start problem. The car has 185K on it may never have been cleaned. :shock:

Hmm, interesting. So you are suggesting to completely replace this item? Thanks for the pics and guide.

No Damo, most people just clean it and it seems to work, Racing Roo did it recently and solved his cold start problem. The car has 185K on it may never have been cleaned. :shock:

Yeah. My car was not starting at ALL. Tried at least 15 times. Cleaned the TDC and !bam! started next go. Now my car starts first time about 70% of the time. It'll always start on the second go. If I change the battery I think it'll start first go about 99%.

* Edit: Hi and welcome to ozrenaultsport! :hyper:

Hi Damon,

I'm a little late in here (things are already going OT :wink:) but I thought I'd say hi nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy the thrills the RSC will give you!

Any pictures of the new ride?

Hot4s though - I used to (didn't we all?) have a read through when I was in year 10... but that was then, this is now. I'm a standard Hot Hatch kind of person. Now I find myself skimming through Evo magazine...

See you on the streets in Sydney :wink:

Steve

Welcome Damon

Wouldn't worry too much about the country mileage,constant highway use is much easier on a car than stop start intermittent stuff

I've has two SS Commodes each doing almost 100,000 kms in less than a year........and an M5 that had done 225,000 kms in 3years, and all of them were fabulous trouble free cars bought dirt cheap

And at $10 grand, you've got plenty of insurance !

Enjoy with us

• 2 weeks later...
OMG! Don;t tell me there are Dream Theater fans on here! I play Dream Theater in a cover band and have followed them since 2001!!!

Dang! Let me know if you're ever going to play in Sydney: I'll definitely be there!

I bought Awake in 95 after seeing the transcription to Erotomania in Guitar World and wondering - what the!? who the heck can play that??! So you must be good :D

Hopefully this time they will come to Aust!

Will PM you :D

Guys I watched them on you tube it was like if weather report were metal nerds, and being a music nerd it still gave me the Sh*ts. Mind you great players, the drummers kit is awsome, guitar player is just a noodler to me :P

Well, I've been a Dream Theater tragic since 1991 when I first went to Los Angeles and saw Pull me Under on MTV.

I have played drums since I was 7 years old and can play virtually all DT's stuff as well as anything else Portnoy does (Transatlantic, Neal Morse, OSI, Liquid Tension Experiment, whatever). I'm a prog nutcase and usually listen to DT, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Rush, Yes and that sort of thing.

In January 2000 I missed seeing the opening concert for Scenes From a Memory by two days when I was forced to come back to AUstralia. It killed me, they were double billing with Queensryche..

As for my brother? I got into writing in 1994 with Hot4s, origionally doing their car audio section. About a year later I was working full time at it and we needed to find someone to take care of the Commodore title. I was able to rope my brother into giving it a go and he took to it like a proverbial duck to water. He's been at it ever since like I have.

One of the magazines he and I co-developed and launch was called SPEED.

Oh yeah, and my brother is a bit of guitar freak too, he's able to play DT stuff with me when we jam, we usually warm up with Under A Glass Moon. I also had the great pleasure of meeting Derek Sherinian at the Planet X gig a while back, but better still I saw Mike Portnoy's little known about drum clinic that was held in Sydney in 1993 just after Change of Seasons came out and got to meet my idol. Got a photo taken with him that has pride of place on my desk.

Oh yeah, have you guys got all of the new DT stuff for Systematic Chaos yet? The album isn't out until June but right now there are two songs (Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night) available online here and there. Dark Eternal Night has a wicked solo section that's going to take me a little while to learn as its about as complex as Dance of Eternity.

You Tube has a bunch of stuff you can watch and listen including both songs, DT's promo for the new album and a 20 minute behind the scenes fottage of 30 or so DT fans assisting with the recording for one of the songs.

I usually get any new DT album about a month before its released covertly online somewhere so I should have it any day now. Still hunting. If anyone wants the two new tracks and can't find online them let me know and I'll see if I can post them somewhere.

Also, at the recent G3 gig in Sydney I saw John Petrucci and Mike play and Mike announced that they indeed plan to tour Australia after the new album comes out. Since the US tour kicks off in July I doubt we'll see them until late this year sometime. Fingers crossed...

Even though I don't like DT the fact you and your bro can jam along to them.. :hail: RESPECT 8)

We used to listen to Rush back in high school, not my cup of tea but being a drummer I can respect thier chops :P

Damo, did you clean the TDC sensor? just wondering if it helped with your cold start problem?

Oh yeah, have you guys got all of the new DT stuff for Systematic Chaos yet? The album isn't out until June but right now there are two songs (Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night) available online here and there. Dark Eternal Night has a wicked solo section that's going to take me a little while to learn as its about as complex as Dance of Eternity.

You Tube has a bunch of stuff you can watch and listen including both songs, DT's promo for the new album and a 20 minute behind the scenes fottage of 30 or so DT fans assisting with the recording for one of the songs.

I usually get any new DT album about a month before its released covertly online somewhere so I should have it any day now. Still hunting. If anyone wants the two new tracks and can't find online them let me know and I'll see if I can post them somewhere.

Also, at the recent G3 gig in Sydney I saw John Petrucci and Mike play and Mike announced that they indeed plan to tour Australia after the new album comes out. Since the US tour kicks off in July I doubt we'll see them until late this year sometime. Fingers crossed...

I have played guitar since 2001 and keyboards before that, every kid wants to learn Dream Theater or COB or Trivium these days, it's so cool. I missed G3, but I'm hoping to catch DT's Oz tour or if they come with Megadeth on Gigantour.

For year 12 moderation I played Steve Morse's 'Stressfest' and 'User Friendly' tracks and you should check out my handle, 'Lost Horizon' for some serious headbanging, great band live too!

One of the magazines he and I co-developed and launch was called SPEED.

Nice one. I quite enjoyed that mag in the early days.

Oops, and welcome to the site, Damon :)