Renault megane rs 275 trophy reliability

Corey

3rd owner on a 70k km, 2015 megane rs trophy 

never tracked 

always serviced on time every time with what ever needed to be carried out, nothing has ever been wrong

lv just had timing belt changed and 1 engine mount (gearbox one I believe) 

There is sweating oil from top end of engine, mechanic said not to worry yet, and very common 

just curious of future reliability and anything expected/problems or to keep on top off, tips, haha etc 

cheers, absolutely loving her so far! 

Edited by Corey

the thermostat usually goes at 60,000ks, if it hasn't been done i would get it changed as preventative maintenance. Top engine mounts usually needs replacing around 60ks mark, and the AC compressor usually goes at this time as well. Other than that its pretty reliable.

1 hour ago, rayrs said:

the thermostat usually goes at 60,000ks, if it hasn't been done i would get it changed as preventative maintenance. Top engine mounts usually needs replacing around 60ks mark, and the AC compressor usually goes at this time as well. Other than that its pretty reliable.

My AC went at 65 kays and the clutch line also started weeping at about same time. 

You may get a brake fault coming up on the dash when the brake fluid level is low, nothing major but you just have to top up the fluid in the reservoir, fixing it will mean replacing the clutch line either with a factory clutch line with the damper OR a clutch line with the damper delete. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt205 said:

Touch wood, mines at 180k and had none of these issues. My A/C is always on, still think intermittent use might shorten the life span of the A/C components.

Like most mechanical things, AC compressors generally last longer when used more frequently - even in winter. The shaft seals tend to have a shorter life span when they sit stationary for long periods of time, eventually leaking refrigerant.

• Like 1

On 22/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, Alan M said:

I read where some say the compressor runs all the time as it doesn't have the normal clutch on the front.  The compressor is internally engaged being the difference, and perhaps it is this that regularly fails on the original Megane 3 compressors

Is this a thing on M3? And if Y does it differ to 

48 minutes ago, lachlan8 said:

But I lose precious HPs in my 182 running it 😆

3 minutes ago, Matt205 said:

Seriously the HP loss on a Meg 3 would be negligible, on a road car if you are that worried about a couple of HP, stand in front of a mirror and take a long hard look......

...and realise you're too damned fat! Put down the donuts bigboi! I hear ya @Matt205!

• Haha 1

Honestly sounds like a furphy to me, if the compressor is always on what does the "OFF" button on the control unit do?

Of course there will be some mechanical load placed on the crank due to the compressor being on or even off, I doubt it's as much as many assume.

I know someone who outright refuses to use the A/C in their car because of "fuel consumption".......

• Haha 1

RS250 (can only speak about my car/experience) aircon doesn't have a clutch - so shaft always rotating.

It has a valve - it's stroke is actuated by a swash plate to adjust/control gas flow - this is what the thermostat and on/off button controls.

TECH SUPPORT – Variable Swashplate Compressor (highgateair.com.au)

What typically fails on the RS250 with low km's compressor is this valve.  My aircon mech says he can change this valve, as opposed to complete compressor, but unfortunately on mine (with high km's) compressor is also noisy so probably bearings u/s as well.

• Thanks 2

With regard to reliability, as others have listed (and my own experience with 126k km)

- engine mounts

- clutch line (damper leaks)

- thermostat

- coolant expansion tank (hair line cracks and weeping)

From what I've rea, two specific issues (cannot comment on how common) to keep your eye on for a 275, as opposed to 250 include:

- engine ECU failure due to over temp (I understand there is no cooling pipe to ECU like on 250/265)

- gearbox output bearing noise (due to inferior bearings being used on the last model)

In general my RS250 Trophy has been pretty good - I only do about 2000 km a year, but with around 6 x 3 x 20 minute track day sessions.  So engine and gearbox is pretty much bullet proof.

2 hours ago, Zoto said:

What typically fails on the RS250 with low km's compressor is this valve.  My aircon mech says he can change this valve, as opposed to complete compressor, but unfortunately on mine (with high km's) compressor is also noisy so probably bearings u/s as well.

Good to know it’s a Q to ask when having issues.