Joining the club??

Spoku

Hi All,

Thinking about joining the RS clan. In the market for a little weapon of a car that I can have fun with on the daily and have been tossing up between a Megane RS 265 and a Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen). Anything to be wary of with the 265? Service costs etc, preventative maintenance for better reliability. What are also some nice mods to do for these, mainly in the handling and power department as cosmetic stuff can kind of wait a bit.

46 minutes ago, Pokinacha said:

welcome mate,

something like this would be perfect for someone wanting to start their RS journey. 

Unfortunately I am on the other side of Aus. Have seen this one though that I am interested in.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-trophy-manual/OAG-AD-20468974/?Cr=0

1 hour ago, Spoku said:

Unfortunately I am on the other side of Aus. Have seen this one though that I am interested in.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-trophy-manual/OAG-AD-20468974/?Cr=0

Pricewise I would say it's on the higher end for the mileage and no recaros. I would definitely be looking for an example with the recaros. It makes a world of difference and is not uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time.  

Maintenance, just make sure the books are up to date and serviced by someone reputable. The all important timing belt should have been changed. If not,  it's a $1.5 - 2k job. Common problem as of late has been the gearbox bolt seizing. Cheap and easy fix. Other than that the usual oil changes and filter replacements. 

Others might have a different opinion but I honestly think that these cars only need one mod: tyres. Invest in a good set of tyres and you will have a perfectly balanced and capable car. 

Other than that welcome to the club! 

57 minutes ago, kAymac said:

Pricewise I would say it's on the higher end for the mileage and no recaros. I would definitely be looking for an example with the recaros. It makes a world of difference and is not uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time.  

Maintenance, just make sure the books are up to date and serviced by someone reputable. The all important timing belt should have been changed. If not,  it's a $1.5 - 2k job. Common problem as of late has been the gearbox bolt seizing. Cheap and easy fix. Other than that the usual oil changes and filter replacements. 

Others might have a different opinion but I honestly think that these cars only need one mod: tyres. Invest in a good set of tyres and you will have a perfectly balanced and capable car. 

Other than that welcome to the club! 

There is this one, bit older and is a 250 not a 265 but has recaros. Worth the power downgrade? What other changes were there between the 250 and 265?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2011-renault-megane-r-s-250-cup-trophee-manual/SSE-AD-12630711/?Cr=0

Both cars are are great, I have RS250 Trophee ( but mine had the satnav  option )  and my son has the 265 trophy + 

both cars are fully optioned ( rs250 except satnav, not worth having really the satnav anyway)  Rs265 has satnav and therefore a reverse camera but no recaro seats the std leather seats are pretty good and are heated

every thing else is even.

If you want the recaro's get the 250 otherwise I would go the 265

I don't know why but the RS250 trophee always seem be be worth quite a bit less

!5 hp isn't much and a tune will fix that .

And as  kAymac says both are asking a premium from my perspective

40 minutes ago, havingfun said:

Both cars are are great, I have RS250 Trophee ( but mine had the satnav  option )  and my son has the 265 trophy + 

both cars are fully optioned ( rs250 except satnav, not worth having really the satnav anyway)  Rs265 has satnav and therefore a reverse camera but no recaro seats the std leather seats are pretty good and are heated

every thing else is even.

If you want the recaro's get the 250 otherwise I would go the 265

I don't know why but the RS250 trophee always seem be be worth quite a bit less

!5 hp isn't much and a tune will fix that .

And as  kAymac says both are asking a premium from my perspective

Unfortunately there aren't many here in Perth so those are kinda my options right now. Really don't want to go interstate.

See here for different specs.  Personally think the Xenons and Recaros are worth having.  No reversing Camera on 250 which can be a pain depending on where you have to park as Steeves easy to mark (I live on a dark narrow curved granite kerbed street so reverse parallel park).  Confirm Satnav in 250 is a waste of space.  I personally reckon pre face lift 265 are the sweet spot as you can get all the good kit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rene said:

See here for different specs.  Personally think the Xenons and Recaros are worth having.  No reversing Camera on 250 which can be a pain depending on where you have to park as Steeves easy to mark (I live on a dark narrow curved granite kerbed street so reverse parallel park).  Confirm Satnav in 250 is a waste of space.  I personally reckon pre face lift 265 are the sweet spot as you can get all the good kit.

So if I want the recaro seats (leather or alcantara preferred but probs wouldn't mind the other material), reversing camera, xenons for that cool white and the other nice goodies, what spec am I aiming for? 265 Trophy+ option B? Due to their rarity, in factory form I guess I could do a seat swap

Edited by Spoku

1 hour ago, Spoku said:

So if I want the recaro seats (leather or alcantara preferred but probs wouldn't mind the other material), reversing camera, xenons for that cool white and the other nice goodies,

A 265 Trophy+ with Recaros, a 265 Trophy 8:08 or a Red Bull RB8. 

Alcantara recaros only in Phase II, and then no Xenons in any spec. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tfdpny said:

A 265 Trophy+ with Recaros, a 265 Trophy 8:08 or a Red Bull RB8. 

Alcantara recaros only in Phase II, and then no Xenons in any spec. 

I thought the RB8 didnt come with xenons. not sure about the reverse camera as I cant tell from the brochure mentioned before. ALso no 8:08 in my area

Reckon this is worth its cash value? Got the fruit, bit of a tossup on the colour but I am a Redbull F1 fan so that is a bonus. Is a bit out of my price range but I might be able to get it soon. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-red-bull-rb8-manual/OAG-AD-20856007/?Cr=0

13 minutes ago, Spoku said:

Reckon this is worth its cash value? Got the fruit, bit of a tossup on the colour but I am a Redbull F1 fan so that is a bonus. Is a bit out of my price range but I might be able to get it soon. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-red-bull-rb8-manual/OAG-AD-20856007/?Cr=0

Looks pretty good, and that price is representative of current values. Make sure you get to see the drivers seat bolsters - they conveniently miss the entry side out in photos if it’s been worn through.

These cars are getting on and the paint is unique, so check for poorly repaired accident damage. The 8.08 and the RB8 had the best  spec of the pre facelift models - they are a good thing 👍

2 hours ago, speedfiend41 said:

Looks pretty good, and that price is representative of current values. Make sure you get to see the drivers seat bolsters - they conveniently miss the entry side out in photos if it’s been worn through.

These cars are getting on and the paint is unique, so check for poorly repaired accident damage. The 8.08 and the RB8 had the best  spec of the pre facelift models - they are a good thing 👍

But of cracking and wear on the seat bolster. Starting to peel a bit and don’t know if the timing belt/chain is done.

I took it for a test drive. My god is it fun. Couldn’t give it the full beans but I think I’m in love…

Time to get the cash together…

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spoku said:

But of cracking and wear on the seat bolster. Starting to peel a bit and don’t know if the timing belt/chain is done.

I took it for a test drive. My god is it fun. Couldn’t give it the full beans but I think I’m in love…

Time to get the cash together…

You have the pick of them all. RS monitor 2.0, recaros, bixenons...

NOOOOOO. The RB RS sold. Little bit sad now. There are a few over east but interstate is a bit risky and expensive. There is an 8:08 in the pearl white which would be nice but has no reversing camera. There is an RB8 with 48000kms for $23k probably a better buy then the one I was looking at. Who is a good mechanic who knows the Megane RS platform well in NSW who could possible do an inspection for me if needed.

2 hours ago, Spoku said:

NOOOOOO. The RB RS sold. Little bit sad now. There are a few over east but interstate is a bit risky and expensive. There is an 8:08 in the pearl white which would be nice but has no reversing camera. There is an RB8 with 48000kms for $23k probably a better buy then the one I was looking at. Who is a good mechanic who knows the Megane RS platform well in NSW who could possible do an inspection for me if needed.

That was quick! They used to be on the market for at least a month or two. 

Get either Paul V at Carlton (South Sydney) or Renotech (North Sydney) to check it out. Presuming it's in Sydney. Do you have a link to the ad? 

1 hour ago, chuckovski said:

That was quick! They used to be on the market for at least a month or two. 

Get either Paul V at Carlton (South Sydney) or Renotech (North Sydney) to check it out. Presuming it's in Sydney. Do you have a link to the ad? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-renault-megane-r-s-265-red-bull-rb8-manual/SSE-AD-13015170?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-13015170

It’s 25k my bad

With low km Timing belt on RB8 would be changed based on time.  Theoretically in 2021 or early 2022, make sure this has been done, if not reduce any offer to offset.

Get owner to cancel rego in NSW and claim back any unexpired rego to offset price.  More than likely it has been serviced in Sydney by one of the above so quality maybe known.  Steeves shown look to be in relatively good shape, can’t see Drivers bolster in any of the shots.

1 hour ago, Rene said:

With low km Timing belt on RB8 would be changed based on time.  Theoretically in 2021 or early 2022, make sure this has been done, if not reduce any offer to offset.

Get owner to cancel rego in NSW and claim back any unexpired rego to offset price.  More than likely it has been serviced in Sydney by one of the above so quality maybe known.  Steeves shown look to be in relatively good shape, can’t see Drivers bolster in any of the shots.

How difficult would it be to re-rego the car? Does it need to go over pits or is it in a sort of "grace" period where I just repay it?

Just moved a car from Vic to WA.  Had to go though roadworthy. Check DOT website for what must be shown on receipt etc eg “Paid in Full” https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-new-to-wa.asp.  

Pay $29 for 24 hour permit for purposes of Registering.  Get vehicle inspected, pay rego etc and make stamp duty election (pay at time of rego or later) and you are done.  If the car is in good nick (your pre purchase inspection by say Renotech will ensure it is) it will fly through inspection.

Interstate move by ship was cheapest (incl insurance so no need to pay comprehensive insurance until you pick up to Rego).  Delivery however can be slow so case of how big a hurry you are in but no stone damage etc on way over.

You can also get permits and drive it across but WA doesn’t give you a lot of leeway to run on this on arrival.  

In VIC was unable to transfer Rego into a WA residents name as non state resident, think NSW will be similar.

Also know someone relocating from Sydney to WA bringing in a car registered in their name, this also had to go over pits but because in their name had a grace period.

Hope this helps

You will love the RB8, at 48K it’s just run in.

Also check on this forum for contact of others in WA running M3RS for recommendations for servicing etc rather than using Dealerships.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rene said:

Just moved a car from Vic to WA.  Had to go though roadworthy. Check DOT website for what must be shown on receipt etc eg “Paid in Full” https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-new-to-wa.asp.  

Pay $29 for 24 hour permit for purposes of Registering.  Get vehicle inspected, pay rego etc and make stamp duty election (pay at time of rego or later) and you are done.  If the car is in good nick (your pre purchase inspection by say Renotech will ensure it is) it will fly through inspection.

Interstate move by ship was cheapest (incl insurance so no need to pay comprehensive insurance until you pick up to Rego).  Delivery however can be slow so case of how big a hurry you are in but no stone damage etc on way over.

You can also get permits and drive it across but WA doesn’t give you a lot of leeway to run on this on arrival.  

In VIC was unable to transfer Rego into a WA residents name as non state resident, think NSW will be similar.

Also know someone relocating from Sydney to WA bringing in a car registered in their name, this also had to go over pits but because in their name had a grace period.

Hope this helps

You will love the RB8, at 48K it’s just run in.

Also check on this forum for contact of others in WA running M3RS for recommendations for servicing etc rather than using Dealerships.

Wow, thanks for all of that info. That really helps. Do you have any recommendations for getting a vehicle over to WA. I’m cool with waiting for ship because it’s going to be protected from dust and chips and be insured (plus it’s cheaper).

Just try a couple of the aggregator sites when you type in transport car Sydney to Perth,  they will give you a mix of road and ship options.  Ultimately I got the best price going direct by phone to McPhee Transport whose Perth pickup yard is in Bibra Lake, their excess on insurance was also lower than others I approached.

Looks like the RB8 is in Newcastle/Sydney so may be worth getting prices from both locations.  I know Wollongong is cheaper than Sydney but don’t know about Newcastle.

🤞the seller is happy to do you the odd favour and you can agree on a price. 

19 hours ago, Spoku said:

It looks great apart from some of the paint work but it could be the photo. 

The plates look like 2015 (though my memory is a little vague from back then! so it was either bought interstate and this is second owner; rarely could be a repaired write off so certainly a ppsr is a must. Check the compliance plate date, and first rego. Could have been a rare late purchase of old stock (a good thing!)

56 minutes ago, chuckovski said:

It looks great apart from some of the paint work but it could be the photo. 

The plates look like 2015 (though my memory is a little vague from back then! so it was either bought interstate and this is second owner; rarely could be a repaired write off so certainly a ppsr is a must. Check the compliance plate date, and first rego. Could have been a rare late purchase of old stock (a good thing!)

Yeah, I've learnt to do those $2 ppsr checks to see if it was written off or not.  I imagine the compliance date just shows when it was first roadworthy. I am also a part-time detailer and have high quality polishing machines and kit so swirled paint is acceptable. 

• Like 1

Do the RB8 editions come with a blow-off valve on the turbo? Now that I think about it, I remember hearing turbo flutter when I rolled off the gas to change up a gear in the low end. Sales dude said it must’ve been like that from factory (Ford dealership). If not, any clue what BOV it could’ve been? I don’t imagine there are many models that supports the RB8 265

On 06/08/2022 at 11:09 PM, Rene said:

Bit confused what you mean by here. Is there a list on the forum of the top mechanics for each city? Might also start another topic re-hashing it to get more current info for members.

While it doesn't have the power or the reversing camera of the RB8, do you reckon this could be a good buy?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mullaloo/cars-vans-utes/2011-renault-megane-renault-sport-250-cup-trophee-6-sp-manual-/1298362248

What other differences are there between the 250 and the 265? Was there any actual hard ware changes like a different part or did the adjust the tune for the turbo? Also what other features are missing with the lower-spec head unit apart from the reverse camera?

34 minutes ago, Skip808 said:

Ive got a pearl white 808 in Bayswater  Perth if you want to look over one, don't need a reverse camera on the 808 imo it has front and rear parking sensors

The pearl white sounds nice. I might need to swing around one day to have a look at how it looks. Like I've mentioned, I already drove an RB8 and fell in love with the platform but didn't give it a proper send as it was a dealership test drive. You got the recaros? If so, how do you find them for longer drives or lesser quality roads?

50 minutes ago, Spoku said:

The pearl white sounds nice. I might need to swing around one day to have a look at how it looks. Like I've mentioned, I already drove an RB8 and fell in love with the platform but didn't give it a proper send as it was a dealership test drive. You got the recaros? If so, how do you find them for longer drives or lesser quality roads?

Happy to full send it for you lol,

Did the dealership change the mapping ? id drove mine for probably  a month in standard mode and loved it thinking it was awesome, then I got shown how to put it in  sport mode , now its fricking awesome.

I haven't sat in the  normal seats but personally think the recaros are a must and I'm in my 50s, mines been lowered so suspension is a bit stiffer and I find It comfortable as.

Edited by Skip808
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skip808 said:

Happy to full send it for you lol,

Did the dealership change the mapping ? id drove mine for probably  a month in standard mode and loved it thinking it was awesome, then I got shown how to put it in  sport mode , now its fricking awesome.

I haven't sat in the  normal seats but personally think the recaros are a must and I'm in my 50s, mines been lowered so suspension is a bit stiffer and I find It comfortable as.

Nah man. Didn’t know how to change it into sport mode. Common sense took over and I thought best not to fiddle with it as it is my first time driving it on roads I haven’t been on and it was a bit damp (traction control is reduced/disabled in sport mode I believe). Gotta be responsible from time-to-time, especially as an 18 year old nearly on Green P’s. I reassured the sales guy I have more experience then most. Driven over 20 different cars in varying conditions including a few classics. 

• Like 1