Just put money down on a 182............

Whitsunday182

Well I'm not quite sure what I've got myself into here!?!

I've just acquired a 182 FF as my son is approaching 17 and I feel he needs to start his journey right (which translates to: I needed an excuse to buy another car and he may be able to borrow it.....). Coincidentally, the car dates from June 2005, which is when he was born.

I've just realised that I haven't had a pokey FWD since the 80's (Mini GTs and an XR2) so will be keen to experience this again - although the capabilities will be significantly better (car, not driver!!).

Anyway, I'll be probably looking at some new wheels (current wheels have kerb-rash) and new tyres, so will be happy to hear recommends in respect of both.  

Should be picking the car up in a week for the long drive home.............

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Whitsunday182 said:

Well I'm not quite sure what I've got myself into here!?!

I've just acquired a 182 FF as my son is approaching 17 and I feel he needs to start his journey right (which translates to: I needed an excuse to buy another car and he may be able to borrow it.....). Coincidentally, the car dates from June 2005, which is when he was born.

I've just realised that I haven't had a pokey FWD since the 80's (Mini GTs and an XR2) so will be keen to experience this again - although the capabilities will be significantly better (car, not driver!!).

Anyway, I'll be probably looking at some new wheels (current wheels have kerb-rash) and new tyres, so will be happy to hear recommends in respect of both.  

Should be picking the car up in a week for the long drive home.............

Welcome and good purchase. Our 182 is August 2005.

Plenty of info on this forum re 182s (and all others) with respect to tyres and all other things - just ask specifically what you want to know.

Re your son - the best thing you can do for him, and I speak from experience from my time as an instructor with John Bowe, is to get him some driving courses - basic road defensive driving course first, the a high performance course following that. You will greatly reduce his risk profile by doing this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, slick said:

Re your son - the best thing you can do for him, and I speak from experience from my time as an instructor with John Bowe, is to get him some driving courses - basic road defensive driving course first, the a high performance course following that. You will greatly reduce his risk profile by doing this.

That's a good call. Great tip

Congrats. Great decision. I picked up a 182 Cup back in November after owning a number of RS variants. After giving it a good drive last week it is certainly the funnest to drive - no word of a lie. It deserves ALOT more respect than anything that I have owned and is not as forgiving but it is so rewarding once you nail the sweet spot. So I second the driving course. As well as a good going over of all the suspension and handling bits.

Hope you have years of fun with it. 

Edited by berniebern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

A 182 was my first car too. 

I would keep wheels as close to stock as possible or step down to 15s with a slightly juicier offset. Enkei RPF-1 maybe? I reckon they'd look great. Tyres wise the Pilot Sport Exalto compound they came with from the factory in 205/45/16 would surely now be impossible to get - but a good budget sports tyre replacement was toyo proxes T1R. Not sure if this compound has been superseded since but it worked nicely for me. 

Handling wise the go-to combo was Koni yellow shocks and eibach sportline lowering springs. I never did the shocks but I did do the sportline lowering springs and they were great.  Hell, stock they were great. Not sure what kms the car has done but you might want to look at springs/shocks.

Seat of the pants wise I absolutely loved the roar of an N/A F4R with a fat induction kit.  There are heaps available e.g. ITG Maxogen or Green Cotton. I had a BMC CDA back in the day but they're also hard to find and difficult to mount. I like the green cotton kit. The ITG is very exxy.  Sound wise though, induction is a must for the absolutely amazing experience.

On the exhaust side, although not necessary, they do sound great opened up. There are tons of options - PMS (Pure Motorsport) make a great kit, Miltek do a great kit.  Cat-back and sports cat is the go-to. 

Otherwise, the only thing is the interior plastic trim pieces going sticky - @Gambit and other have some amazing build threads which address this and other issues. The forum is a gold mine for info especially in the build threads section. 

On a personal note, one thing I wish I'd known was when changing the speakers to Focal 6.5s front and rear, the mounting kit for the larger speakers interfered somehow with the scuttle drain in the doors - either that or the scuttle drains became blocked over time. I had quite a bit of water ingress in the car caused by this and I didn't realise for ages what it was due to - so keep the scuttle drains clean and check in case they haven't been cleaned before. 

You're a legend for buying this for your son. 

Edited by ALLEZ
15s not 17s
  • Like 1

I assume you mean step down to 15's? Whilst this is a popular route with track focused cars  due to semi slick availability, there is no upside in my opinion on a road only 182, its a backward step.

• Like 1

be my dad?  apart from just echoing everyone else here, you've also done the next best thing and found this forum.  There is a lot of genuinely good information here.  (I'm comparing it to trying to find information on hondas which was piles of misinformation at times). 

Its been two months since his first and only two posts and if we don't see pic's it didn't happen, but then again perhaps it didn't which is why he hasn't posted again.

• Sad 1