Bonjour all

Renuckle

After skimming OZRS for years on and off, I finally took the huge step of signing up.

I have a black 2003 172 since... err... 2003. All stock except for Remus double-barrel exhaust. A regular at Paul V's for years.

Now toying with the idea of a 200 Cup Trophee... hmmm...

• Like 5

I've also toyed the idea of a RS 200 but have sold two on as I'm old and really enjoy having a clutch and gear stick.

Mind you, my oldest got rid of his frb 182 Cup for LY 200 Cup Prem I sold him but missed his 182 so bought another one a couple months back. He was gonna sell the 200 but after driving the 182 home realised he actually preferred the 200 with all the modern car luxuries and will sell the 182 instead, kids.

I'd get a 200 if I could do a manual conversion but as an auto, no way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 63x1092 said:

I've also toyed the idea of a RS 200 but have sold two on as I'm old and really enjoy having a clutch and gear stick.

Mind you, my oldest got rid of his frb 182 Cup for LY 200 Cup Prem I sold him but missed his 182 so bought another one a couple months back. He was gonna sell the 200 but after driving the 182 home realised he actually preferred the 200 with all the modern car luxuries and will sell the 182 instead, kids.

I think he is reffering to the mk3. I don't believe the mk4 came in Cup Trophee trim

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 63x1092 said:

Definitely no auto for me... but raises an interesting point that I'm a little confused about sometimes, thanks to the power of interweb misinformation....

I'm considering, what I think is a "Clio Sport 200" - still plain old clutch, C85 series - versus a "Clio R.S. 200". But probably a topic for a different part of the forum 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave200 said:

I think he is reffering to the mk3. I don't believe the mk4 came in Cup Trophee trim

Clio lV 200 Cup Trophy became the Cup Premium or vice versa, not to get confused with the lV 220 Trophy or lll 200 Cup Trophy but the best is still the 182 Trophy.

1 minute ago, 63x1092 said:

Clio lV 200 Cup Trophy became the Cup Premium or vice versa, not to get confused with the lV 220 Trophy or lll 200 Cup Trophy but the best is still the 182 Trophy.

Its all in the name, the mk3 was called the Cup Trophee instead of Trophy for some reason 😕

The problem are the English designations given to the cars which I assume aren't even coming from Renault but rather the community.

172, 182, 197, 200 and so on. Unfortunately somebody thought it's a good idea to also refere to the Mk4 as 200 while it actually should have been 200T or 220T respectively.

Here in Germany we don't have this desigantion problem as we for example refere to a Clio Mk 3 RS as C3RS and just add the phase. Often just done like C3RS P2 or C3RS². Makes things so much easier and avoids confusion like above.

Edited by Marsch
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, japarn said:

Trust Germanic orderliness to sort this out!

As opposed to Oz, where we've only managed to mentally cope with about four variants names across all vehicles in the country: "GT", "GTR", "RS" and... umm... "the other one".

I can just hear the marketing brainstorming meeting, "We've done extensive focus group testing, consulted industry experts and tried to ask the engineers - but they were busy. We really think we've cracked it this year! We'll call it... [dramatic pause]... the RS".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treza360 said:

As someone who has a problem with keeping things stock and spending way too much on mods, I'm only too happy to help create the same problem for you as well. :D

Haha... I'm definitely a fan all things non-stock and over-priced.
It's a cleverly orchestrated conspiracy to see how much they can get people to pay for a piece of molded plastic or anodized aluminium 😁

• Haha 1

Welcome mate.

my pennies worth........ your 172 will most likely feel smaller, quicker, More raw and rewarding But dated, after stepping into a 200...... After owning 172,182 and now a 200. in stock form back to back, you’ll Find the 200 feeling up to date (even 10 years on) more planted at speed but firmer, slightly more forgiving at the limit And, you could Possibly Find the gearbox a busier department, during a fast road rip up the hill chasing the limiter in the lower gears for sure! 
I miss my 172 cup but, then sometimes you just need a change of scenery! 
200........She’s the Last of the breed bra 👍

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Jayz... definitely worth more than pennies 😉

I was thinking something along those lines. I had been for a quick drive in a Mk3 200 years ago.
It won't be hard to beat the old 172 when in comes to updated interior/gadgets. Even though the 200 is probably already "old" by today's standard.

If I do find myself a 200, the hardest part will be deciding to let the old faithful 172 go 😕