New format is too hard to read

roblee8g

There is insufficient contrast in the text vs. the background.  I have to strain to read the content.  Make the default text black (and bolder) so that it can be read by us older users.

Thanks,

Robert

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jamiec said:

What was wrong with the old format?

Exactly - why do developers always feel they have to change something that works and the end-users are happy with??

This new site is very ordinary !!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Darkrym said:

I actually really like the new design looks really fresh and much more moden that the old style.

Could be a good idea to add a "dark mode" to make it easier to read

In your opinion - but where is the improvement in functionality??

It would be really intersting, and a measure of transparency to hear from the web designers explaining why they have stuffed up something that previously worked and pleased most end-users.

So - come you developers - tell us why you changed it !!!

Just now, slick said:

In your opinion - but where is the improvement in functionality??

It would be really intersting, and a measure of transparency to hear from the web designers explaining why they have stuffed up something that previously worked and pleased most end-users.

So - come you developers - tell us why you changed it !!! And also developers - have you ever heard of and used the principles of strategic information systems planning???

You guys do realise this is a temporary change because the dark theme is broken with the new update of the forum software? 

Software is updated for many reasons.. things like the security of both users accounts and the invaluable knowledge found in this forum!

Give the guys running the joint a break. I'm sure they know and are on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pastry said:

You guys do realise this is a temporary change because the dark theme is broken with the new update of the forum software? 

Software is updated for many reasons.. things like the security of both users accounts and the invaluable knowledge found in this forum!

Give the guys running the joint a break. I'm sure they know and are on it.

The developers can update/change security without changing the GUI.

The dark theme clearly has some custom elements that don’t work with Invision 4.5. So yep, the software update and GUI in this case are, sadly, incompatible.

Other forums I use also had a little trouble moving to 4.5, but it’s not really optional to stick with an old version in the long term.

Works much the same for me, other than the annoying bright white colour with grey text. 

I used to develop graphics for our previous alarm system at work and some people wanted grey with white. Never could understand why as it is crap to read.

Can't wait for the dark theme to come back.

This is a bit unrelated to the forum, but is basically what I have been seeing in any new software development at work.

This is how I have been seeing systems go in for at least the last 5 years.

The developer basically up markets new features to management, the most important for mangers being auto generated reports so they don't have to do it themselves.

The developer uses management friendly buzz words like automation, cloud storage, virtualisation,  working from home, outsourcing etc etc.

Then for the end user who actually has use the thing they end up with something that did less than their old system, little to no support and there is no way the software will change as it was 'agreed' to by management.

Been seeing backward steps at work for the last 10+ years.

My favourite quote these days from IT is "out of the box solution"!!! 

I can summarise that as SH!T gos in SH!T comes out.

But management get a great report in the end so are none the wiser.

The worst part is when you get the bill for a new system. usually a couple hundred grand for a large system just to go backwards just so you can load it onto the latest operating systems and hardware.

Edited by LukeKGT

6 minutes ago, LukeKGT said:

Works much the same for me, other than the annoying bright white colour withy grey text. 

I used to develop graphics for our previous alarm system at work and some people wanted grey with white. Never could understand why as it is crap to read.

Can't wait for the dark theme to come back.

This is a bit unrelated to the forum, but is basically what I have been seeing in any new software development at work.

This is how I have been seeing systems go in for at least the last 5 years.

The developer basically upmarkets new features to management, the most important for mangers being auto generated reports so they don't have to do it themselves.

The developer uses management friendly buzz words like automation, cloud storage, working from home, outsourcing etc etc.

Then for the end user who actually has use the thing they end up with something that did less than their old system, little to no support and there is no way the software will change as it was 'agreed' to by management.

Been seeing backward steps at work for the last 10+ years.

My favourite quote these days from IT is "out of the box solution"!!! 

I can summarise that as SH!T goes in SH!T comes out.

But management get a great report in the end so are none the wiser.

The worst part is when you get the bill for a new system. usually a couple hundred grand for a large system just to go backwards just so you can load it onto the latest operating systems and hardware.

Very succinctly put !!!  The classic failed (for end-users) information system, principally not designed with a business goal as a purpose, and no means of assessing the IT new system's success.

Edited by slick