question before buy

skyliner34

hi guys, i am look for a 2nd hand car atm. a bit interested into rs265, the main thing i need to consider is maintenance and parts cost. is it expensive to fix? (compare to the same year vw golf is the average price for the same parts be over ) i own a peugeot 407 and a skyline. for me i think the 407 is a bit expensive and the skyline is not bad for me. please give me some advise. thanks

They're great cars and very reliable if proactively maintained. Belt per above is fairly expensive and every 4 years. Buy Jap/Korean if you want cheap (again per previous comment above).

Edit - but hell I'd take an RS every day of the week over a VW for both reliability and driver enjoyment!

Edited by lachlan8
Addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lachlan8 said:

They're great cars and very reliable if proactively maintained. Belt per above is fairly expensive and every 4 years. Buy Jap/Korean if you want cheap (again per previous comment above).

Edit - but hell I'd take an RS every day of the week over a VW for both reliability and driver enjoyment!

about the belt how much cost around. another few option for me atm is 86, focus st and infiniti q50. still thinking. 

20 minutes ago, lachlan8 said:

That's quite a range of cars. An 86 is cheap as chips to own.

yeah. but 86 maybe my last option, cause it dont have much power. now i more into focus. i think parts will be cheaper than rs and had simular power. thanks for ur reply.

9 minutes ago, skyliner34 said:

yeah. but 86 maybe my last option, cause it dont have much power. now i more into focus. i think parts will be cheaper than rs and had simular power. thanks for ur reply.

Aside from the timing belt, (4 years or every 100k kms) the rs is not too expensive if you are able to maintain it yourself. Most services are only oil and oil filter change, air filter change, cabin filter change (this one is annoying and I only change when it smells (as per renotech advice) ) , check your levels of coolant and washer fluid. Occasionally change fuel filter and plugs, coolant and gearbox oil. I have 60k on mine, break disks are great, just ordered a set of front pads and only because I want to freshen them up. 

They are generally reliable. I havent had anything go wrong with mine yet. I know some things like the aircon compressor and clutch can get pricey if they break. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Docmattic

31 minutes ago, Docmattic said:

Aside from the timing belt, (4 years or every 100k kms) the rs is not too expensive if you are able to maintain it yourself. Most services are only oil and oil filter change, air filter change, cabin filter change (this one is annoying and I only change when it smells (as per renotech advice) ) , check your levels of coolant and washer fluid. Occasionally change fuel filter and plugs, coolant and gearbox oil. I have 60k on mine, break disks are great, just ordered a set of front pads and only because I want to freshen them up. 

They are generally reliable. I havent had anything go wrong with mine yet. I know some things like the aircon compressor and clutch can get pricey if they break. Fingers crossed. 

any idea how much the timing belt cost? my skyline only cost me around $400 my peugeot is around $800, i use to consider the 1.8t a3 but my machanic told me need around 2~3k. it really back me off.

9 minutes ago, skyliner34 said:

any idea how much the timing belt cost? my skyline only cost me around $400 my peugeot is around $800, i use to consider the 1.8t a3 but my machanic told me need around 2~3k. it really back me off.

I think it really depends where you live and if you have the ability to shop around. I've been quoted at renault albury (where I bought my car) $700 but went local for convenience and paid more (but also got water pump amd coolant done) . I've seen people in Melbourne say $900 others say $2k. So it can get pricey. Might be worth ringing around places in your area to get an idea. 

Yep usually around $1500 as they do water pump and few other items at the same time. There was a recent thread on here specifically asking about the cost of timing belt replacement :)

4 hours ago, Docmattic said:

I think it really depends where you live and if you have the ability to shop around. I've been quoted at renault albury (where I bought my car) $700 but went local for convenience and paid more (but also got water pump amd coolant done) . I've seen people in Melbourne say $900 others say $2k. So it can get pricey. Might be worth ringing around places in your area to get an idea. 

Renault albury told me $1100 (though it's not Alessi anymore, if that's who you bought from?) 

5 hours ago, oscargamer said:

On the 265, it's 4 years or 40k km, whichever first. NOT 100k km.

Sorry mate thats simply not right 100k is well documented - as per books and check the countless threads on here about the topic. Otherwise you would have to change timing belt every 4 services..... Which would be way over the top

1 hour ago, benzino said:

Renault albury told me $1100 (though it's not Alessi anymore, if that's who you bought from?) 

I bought it privatly but got a quote from Alessi to do the pre-puchase inspection and cost of belt. They told me aux belt and water pump had to be added to their quote though so probably would have ended up at about 1100. Add in the coolant and rest of service items its about 1600. Shame their gone. They seemed to be decent. 

Edited by Docmattic

FWIW

In early March (pre-shutdown) I went to melbourne with the intention of getting a late model Clio RS. I live in SA.

I had driven a Clio RS in SA but at the time not much about and didn't see any Meg3's here.

prior to that I had been checking some other cars with the 86 being just one.

When in Melb I drove a 2016 Meg3 and it was fantastic. I had not done as much research on the Meg3 as the Clio and learnt some quick lessons.

57000km and almost 4 years old - I could go on, but:

Some of the above and what you are looking for is noted in my other posts.

Yes, the belt is expensive, but in reality owning any car with a belt is expensive. I had a Magna that was $900+ each time it needed changing.

What I like is the exclusive nature of the Meg3. On your next drive to work count the number of 86's you will see, WRX's too. If you see a Meg3 RS is will be rare.

It is my only car and I don't drive it every day, but when I do I am smiling.

Only you can make the decision on the best car as you, but for me the bang for buck with the Meg3 RS fits the bill for me.

It feels raw and is not a vanilla car. Even driving around town I keep more focused on the drive than with any previous car.

As a bonus for me the fine lady loves being driven around in it too.

• Like 3

Gday mate,ive owned a gti golf and am now selling my rs 265 megsne.the services sre on par for both.ive just had my megane major service fone and it was $1500 but the timing belt was fine,only changed it for piece of mind.i can honestly tell you the megane is a heap better car than the golf.so much more fun to drive and the torque steer on a golf gti is really bad.handling on the megane is second to none.im selling mine as i want an auto so im going to buy a clio now.renault for life for me now.

Screenshot_2020-07-12-15-45-51-84_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.png

• Like 1