Newbie looking for the right Megane RS

Whymez0

Hi All,

After a nice lady decided that red lights don't matter, my beloved BMW 130i is gone. So, as you can see I'm relatively new and set out on getting some sort of RS Megane. However, I'm a bit naive when it comes to Renault.

I want something I can just drive the hell out of and occasionally track without too much expense or worry. So it seems as though I'm looking for a trophy or cup version with Recaro seats, but I'm kind of stuck between the different versions of the pre-facelift 250, 265 and updated 275. Of course it's subjective, but is there a notable reason for why one version maybe more suitable for me than the other? Also, any experience with the former cars and maybe what the facelift potentially fixes over the 250 and 265 that I should be concerned about?

Another thing that may be of notice. I will be off my P's in 3 months, so I have plenty of time to research and wait for the right car.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Edited by Whymez0

I find the difference between pre and post face lift is that all cars in the face lift get the large screen display with sat nav and the rs monitor (allows for adjustable throttle mapping) where pre face-lift its either the screen with sarnav or the rs monitor. 

However the problem is that the controls for the satnav cover the only usable cup holder in the car. So I opted for preface lift version with the rs monitor as I got the cup holder function. Was important to me. 

Edited by Docmattic
  • Like 1

I’m trying not to be a stick in the mud here but is a Megane R.S. really suitable for someone just coming off P’s? Maybe a naturally aspirated Clio would be less dangerous to your licence? Any turbo 4 is wicked fast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, speedfiend41 said:

I’m trying not to be a stick in the mud here but is a Megane R.S. really suitable for someone just coming off P’s? Maybe a naturally aspirated Clio would be less dangerous to your licence? Any turbo 4 is wicked fast...

Quick mods, capture this moment - @speedfiend41 being the voice of reason... 😱

Back to the OP.  The biggest differences between the cars are age and price between a 250 and a 275 (kinda obvious, because they span the gap of selling new from pre 2012 to 2017 ishh)

That said, there are compelling reasons for a pre-facelift (250 or 265). Firstly, only the pre facelift has bi-xenon lighting options in some variants - typically the higher specced ones that also have the Recaros and some other fruity bits.  The lights on the facelift ones are woeful.  And I mean woeful...

Secondly, being a bit older, if there is a good service history, a pre facelift 265 is a remarkable value proposition, with low km examples often selling for significantly below $20k.  There is a higher km example 250 AGP on the forum here for a little above $10k.

BTW, the 265 is a 250 until the Sport button is pushed, removing the auto-stop function and releasing the extra ponies.

Many earlier versions will already have a tune or a piggy back device, all of which add greatly to the performance and driveability of the cars, which if looked after tend to be bullet proof.  So it doesn't really matter 250 or 265, as a tune cures any minor difference between them.

All except a very few blue Sport versions have the Cup chassis with perfohub and LSD.  You need one of the LSD versions (luckily they almost certainly will be) unless you like wrestling with your steering as a sport.

For my money, I'd pick an 8:08 pre fasce lift as a first choice (these have all the fruit except reversing camera) but include the bi-xenons, RS monitor, full leather Recaros and are a limited run of 100 Australia only vehicles that were made in pearl white or Liquid Yellow.  Look awesome in each, but especially LY, which is pretty much the hero colour for the Meg 3.

The 250 is not available in LY, but a canary yellow flat colour which, if you had bought just before LY came out, you would probably have already shot yourself by now, so maybe available in deceased estates...? 

Second choice would be an AGP, which had similar fruit to the 8:08 but was based on the 250 (I think).  Also limited to 100 examples, and was available in black or white IIRC.  Not sure if they were available in other colours.

Third choice would be an RB8, which was the last of the line of the 265s and had ALL the fruit - leather Recaros, full RS Link 2 with reverse camera and RS Monitor, and come only in a really dark blue (virtually black if not in sunlight), but a well- kept example of this is a stunning car if you love washing cars.  When clean, they look amazing!!

Price no option, then go for a 275 Cup Premium.  You will not get decent headlights (ever - in the facelift) and you will need to search aftermarket for bulbs if you prefer your lighting not provided by candles, but you will get potentially warranty remaining (many had 5 years), low km (depending on how often driven but generally lower cos newer), and they are remarkable value for a near new performance vehicle.  Go for a Premium (they ALL have Cup suspension), which also has the panoramic (fixed) glass roof, as many hire companies ran the standard Cup models, and you maybe don't want an ex hire car as your pride and joy.  Maybe you do, but I wouldn't.

Oh and all the higher spec Megs have 19 inch rims.  Some folks complain about ride harshness compared with the 18s on most lower specced ones. I never found this an issue, and loved the "connected to the tarmac" feeling you get from the 19s and the Meg steering.  Oh, and good rubber is a must.  Michelin PS4S highly recommended, but so are lots of others at better price points.  Don't get Chinese crap brands, though, and you will be rewarded with an amazing handling car.

I hope that helps, but any Meg is a wicked piece of road going yeehah, and you are almost certain to donate some points and funds to the State coffers in one.  Don't say you weren't warned!! 

Failing that, you could follow the various voices of reason, and get a Clio 3 (197 or 200 as suggested by others) which is like a Meg, but at a much lower speed (in most instances).  Sorry Clio fans, but having had both, that was my take on it.  Having the Meg first spoiled my Clio experience.  Oh and you sit on a Clio compared to zipping a Meg up around you.  Depends what you like there...

To the OP, I hope that helps, and if you get a chance to drive a Meg, take it through some of your favourite twisty roads, don't back off, pick a line, hang on and smile... They are remarkable things to drive.

Good luck with your search.

Oh and if I have offended anyone (or maybe everyone...) here, tongue was intended to be in cheek, but with some serious points for the young lad to consider with his Meg purchase.

Edited by No152
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Whymez0 said:

Hi All,

After a nice lady decided that red lights don't matter, my beloved BMW 130i is gone. So, as you can see I'm relatively new and set out on getting some sort of RS Megane. However, I'm a bit naive when it comes to Renault.

I want something I can just drive the hell out of and occasionally track without too much expense or worry. So it seems as though I'm looking for a trophy or cup version with Recaro seats, but I'm kind of stuck between the different versions of the pre-facelift 250, 265 and updated 275. Of course it's subjective, but is there a notable reason for why one version maybe more suitable for me than the other? Also, any experience with the former cars and maybe what the facelift potentially fixes over the 250 and 265 that I should be concerned about?

Another thing that may be of notice. I am currently still on my P's for the next 3 months, so I have plenty of time to research and wait for the right car.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Pre-face lift : I love their Xenon headlight (if equiped)

Face lift: the RS monitor is fun to muck around.

2 hours ago, No152 said:

Firstly, only the pre facelift has bi-xenon lighting options in some variants - typically the higher specced ones that also have the Recaros and some other fruity bits.  The lights on the facelift ones are woeful.  And I mean woeful...

You will not get decent headlights (ever - in the facelift) and you will need to search aftermarket for bulbs if you prefer your lighting not provided by candles,

+1

Wow, thanks for the very quick responses and advice.

To answer the first glaring issue of P's. Yep, I totally understand how quick these cars are, and in reality the Clio is the safer and smarter choice. However, I am still young, dumb and hopefully somewhat responsible, so I want to stick in the same power to weight range as my old 130i (145kw/T). Also, isn't it illegal for a 22Yo to get something slower than his first car, right?! I'm also lucky enough to have driven my friends RB Clio 200, and although it's lovely and is what drew me in to the Meg option, I wish it had that little bit more shove without ringing its neck (it's totally ego related).

Thank you a bunch @No152 for all of that info. It's hard to go wrong with a well kept example by the sounds of it, and I think I'll be keeping a very close eye on those top 3 recommendations. Also, thanks for the heads up on the 275 headlights. It's something I didn't consider and would be worrying because my current work demands me to do quite a bit of early morning driving. I'll now be checking every deceased estate for a good deal and 275 headlights for some candle accessories in my living room.

Another question I do have and is also very subjective. Do you feel as though you can ring out the Megane without getting in "too" much trouble? As in, both my 130i and 1990 325i were/are fun below or right on the limit of the law and could easily put a smile on my face (which is the most important aspect bar none). For anyone personally, do you find the Megane similar? Open ended and silly question I know, but I don't want to ruin my clean driving record just yet.

I just wanted to add that the glowing reviews and value of these Meganes boggles my mind. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to go the boring BMW or VW route again. 

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Whymez0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Whymez0 said:

Another question I do have and is also very subjective. Do you feel as though you can ring out the Megane without getting in "too" much trouble? As in, both my 130i and 1990 325i were/are fun below or right on the limit of the law and could easily put a smile on my face (which is the most important aspect bar none). For anyone personally, do you find the Megane similar? Open ended and silly question I know, but I don't want to ruin my clean driving record just yet.

I just wanted to add that the glowing reviews and value of these Meganes boggles my mind. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to go the boring BMW or VW route again. 

Thanks again everyone!

That is a pretty subjective question for sure as one person’s fun could be meh to another and great roads will be fun at any speed in a great car.

That said, I found the Meg to be a very fine road driving compromise with substantial urge from low to mid range giving satisfaction at both above and below legal speeds. Plus the sublime handling means twisties are great fun at all speeds (and the more wicked you take the corners, the more wickedly exciting the fun). The turbo urge is a big part and the LSD another. Great balance and huge fun even at legal speeds, but also if you nudge above that. Restraint will help you keep your points - go full stick on the track.

Not a chance you can wring out a Megane R.S. without very quickly finding yourself over 90 plus. And the worst thing about them is they goad you into doing it. Even my Clio is more than fast enough to exceed speed limits with a prod of my foot and sounds bloody awesome doing it.

Either car will be a blast to own and drive. But you’ll get yourself in the poo a lot faster in a Meg - the torque is so accessible.  If you just can’t help yourself and need the Megane, I echo what has been written above - pre facelift have headlights that work, I personally find the front end styling more attractive, and leather Recaros are awesome. 

By the way, I just snapped up the last and best of the 8.08s for sale 😎

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the very quick responses and advice.
To answer the first glaring issue of P's. Yep, I totally understand how quick these cars are, and in reality the Clio is the safer and smarter choice. However, I am still young, dumb and hopefully somewhat responsible, so I want to stick in the same power to weight range as my old 130i (145kw/T). Also, isn't it illegal for a 22Yo to get something slower than his first car, right?! I'm also lucky enough to have driven my friends RB Clio 200, and although it's lovely and is what drew me in to the Meg option, I wish it had that little bit more shove without ringing its neck (it's totally ego related).
Thank you a bunch @No152 for all of that info. It's hard to go wrong with a well kept example by the sounds of it, and I think I'll be keeping a very close eye on those top 3 recommendations. Also, thanks for the heads up on the 275 headlights. It's something I didn't consider and would be worrying because my current work demands me to do quite a bit of early morning driving. I'll now be checking every deceased estate for a good deal and 275 headlights for some candle accessories in my living room.
Thanks again everyone!

Got a speeding ticket the first week I got my 265 on a road I drive on everyday, LoL!
These car are not exactly fast off the line but they go once you're in 2nd or 3rd gear. Had to learn it the expensive way coming from a Polo Gti :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gabes1982 said:

Got a speeding ticket the first week I got my 265 on a road I drive on everyday, LoL!
These car are not exactly fast off the line but they go once you're in 2nd or 3rd gear. Had to learn it the expensive way coming from a Polo Gti :)

I can believe this. Plus if you happen to buy a LY Meg, it’s really hard to be incognito. And of course there is no “I’m sorry officer it wasn’t me. It was one of the other 6 white/silver/grey/black Golf/Polos immediately near me” defence... 🤔