New to Renault Sport and wanting to buy a Clio 197

mookg

I've been thinking of buying a Clio 197. I've read up on the gearbox issues. Did this also affect the 2010 model? 

Other than gearbox synchro issues, what other things should I look out for? 

I've found one on carsales for 7k or so with 150000Km. 

Also wanted to know what the fuel economy is like as a daily driver. Thanks. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Link to carsales.

Check out this 2010 Renault Clio Sport 197 Manual.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2010-Renault-Clio-Sport-197-Manual/SSE-AD-6471498

Can’t go wrong at that price.

Read up on them in the technical thread. Good luck! 👍

• Thanks 1

The fuel economy is pretty average. I daily drive mine with fairly free flowing traffic and some high speed freeway stuff and usually get around 9 l/100km. I used to get around 6.5 out of my ancient Mirage doing the same trip. Out of the city it struggles to get into the high 7's. 

• Thanks 1

The gearbox is very stiff when cold. I daily mine also and I put nylon shift additive in it which improves it drastically.

The suspension ball joints are another area that can wear out but is dependent on roads driven and also the exhaust manifold can crack.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I would also factor in 1k servicing budget every year.

Things will eventually require replacing and they generally are not the cheapest cars for parts.

Maintenance is the best way to get the most out of the car

I bought a Clio R27 in November 2019 after about 1 year of looking. It’s a great car. Make sure it’s got a good service history and has been cared for. You’d be really unlucky to have a dodgy gearbox they seem pretty solid I’ve only read of one dude on this forum having a bad one. I get over 400kms to a tank and have fun doing it. Maintenance is expensive but the smile you have when driving is worth it. They really are awesome cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Onrus said:

I bought a Clio R27 in November 2019 after about 1 year of looking. It’s a great car. Make sure it’s got a good service history and has been cared for. You’d be really unlucky to have a dodgy gearbox they seem pretty solid I’ve only read of one dude on this forum having a bad one. I get over 400kms to a tank and have fun doing it. Maintenance is expensive but the smile you have when driving is worth it. They really are awesome cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks 👍

1 hour ago, woot woot said:

I would also factor in 1k servicing budget every year.

Things will eventually require replacing and they generally are not the cheapest cars for parts.

Maintenance is the best way to get the most out of the car

Is it still that expensive if I do basic maintenance myself, including oil changes, and fluid changes

2 hours ago, woot woot said:

The gearbox is very stiff when cold. I daily mine also and I put nylon shift additive in it which improves it drastically.

The suspension ball joints are another area that can wear out but is dependent on roads driven and also the exhaust manifold can crack.

Do you recommend doing a gearbox oil change and adding this additive as soon as I get it?

That car looks pretty good for that price.

Only issue would be that scrape if you're planning on repairing it down the track.

I looked at a couple of 197s before settling on ours and both had a dent in the rear quarter panel. One seller had received a quote of $500 for the repair.......

My smash repairer advised that it would be an expensive repair as it was likely to be a high strength steel panel (entire rear quarter) that had to be replaced, as it couldn't be repaired/filled like traditional steel panels.

Their suggestion was to have the seller claim the repair on their insurance and pay for their excess in order to have it repaired properly.

However there is a chance the car could be written off due to the cost of the repair.

My tip would be go and visit this one that is 2 doors down from me.

It has been relisted and the price is finally coming down.

But I'd suggest making a surprise visit right now as it looks nothing like the pictures that are presented. is full of cobwebs and dirt and will allow you to drop a buy it now offer of $8000 that he'd be hard pressed to refuse.

As long as he is able to provide receipts for the timing belt work he claims has been done because the car has literally not moved since it was last advertised which was brought up in another thread on here I'm thinking a year ago.

F#@k it, after writing that and thinking more, offer $7000!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/neutral-bay/cars-vans-utes/renault-clio-rs-200-cup-2012-/1238299055

Do you recommend doing a gearbox oil change and adding this additive as soon as I get it?
Yes definitely. I changed the gearbox oil and the clutch fluid and added the additive from Nulon. It is night and day from when I first got it.

I would bring the car to either Paul V or renotech

• Like 1

Is that one STILL for sale? Please, save me someone! Buy it before I do.

1 hour ago, Safetyman said:

It has finally been readvertised.

And it literally hasn't moved since we last spoke about it.

Might show up with 7k and see how it goes. looks like it has no rego either. 

Looked up on NSW rego check and it had these notes?

Anyone know what this means

• 87 MODIFIED AS PER REPORT NUMBER - 1100211200127MP ISSUED 11/6/2012. LEFT HAND SIDE BRAKE/CLUTCH PEDALS
  • Q5 DUAL CONTROL VEHICLE - AS PER CONDITION 87. 1100211200127MP ISSUED 11/6/2012

9 minutes ago, mookg said:

Might show up with 7k and see how it goes. looks like it has no rego either. 

Looked up on NSW rego check and it had these notes?

Anyone know what this means

• 87 MODIFIED AS PER REPORT NUMBER - 1100211200127MP ISSUED 11/6/2012. LEFT HAND SIDE BRAKE/CLUTCH PEDALS
  • Q5 DUAL CONTROL VEHICLE - AS PER CONDITION 87. 1100211200127MP ISSUED 11/6/2012

The car was a driving instructor's vehicle if modified like that....

Actually, I do remember a Clio around town which was used as one - perhaps this is the car! 

• Like 1

I'll have a peek through the window but I believe they've been removed.

I think you have to hold an instructors licence before they're allowed to be installed and they probably have to be removed once the vehicle is sold.
The modification would remain on rms records.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yeah probably been through 3 clutches and several rear end crashes due to stalling [emoji1]

Offer $5k — it’d make a great daily/beater/tracker

I'm saying 7k only because of its age.
The fact it hasn't turned a wheel in I'm thinking 12 months couldn't be great for its gearbox.

Factor in condensation occurring inside the box, along with the angle that's its been sitting at for that entire time and I think it would be fair to assume that the top half of the gearbox may have rust due to no lubrication.

The belts being done 30k ago I'm guestimating at being due again due to time. Although it's safe to say they haven't been through any heat cycles in the past couple of years lol

• Like 1

Might get offended. lmao how about 6?

I reckon the owner deserves to be offended, given the description of how it has been left/abused/etc. I drove past this car at least 6mths ago. That it hasn’t sold since suggests there’s very, very good reasons to low-ball

The biggest factor for me would be whether it was in fact a learner driver car. Can you imagine your car being driven by dozens or even hundreds of (potentially) sh*t drivers? 

I would definitely check this with the seller before offering any amount.

I'm in 2 minds on that front.
I think the ability of the instructor would determine how bad the abuse was.

Also, if it was a 2 pedal setup with a clutch and brake, and again if the instructor was worth their salt, they could have prevented the majority of harshness being passed onto the driveline.

43 minutes ago, Safetyman said:

I'm in 2 minds on that front.
I think the ability of the instructor would determine how bad the abuse was.

True. But my experience is this.......many years ago I let a mate (who held an auto license) drive my beautiful (?) TC Cortina manual, said he wanted to have a go. 10 minutes later and after lots of shuddering and jerking he gave the car back to me, and it stunk like it was on fire. Never again. 

Obviously I didn't have a second set of pedals, so that may have made the experience a bit less traumatic. And I probably wasn't the best instructor back then 😄

• Like 1

Did some trawling and found the last time we spoke about this one.

I just went over and had a peek through the window and can confirm there isn't a second set of pedals in there at the moment.

And it's possibly not as dire as I thought regarding the lack of movement.

Might only have been since June last year that it hasn't been driven.

6 hours ago, Safetyman said:

Only issue would be that scrape if you're planning on repairing it down the track.

I looked at a couple of 197s before settling on ours and both had a dent in the rear quarter panel. One seller had received a quote of $500 for the repair.......

My smash repairer advised that it would be an expensive repair as it was likely to be a high strength steel panel (entire rear quarter) that had to be replaced, as it couldn't be repaired/filled like traditional steel panels.

My Cup racer had a big hit in the rear quarter (see my ride thread).  I had a paintless dent guy do the majority without drama and then a crash repairer/painter do the rest by conventional methods.  The end result was pretty good (but not showroom) due to prior race biff and barge damage, but it was way cheaper than a rear quarter panel replacement. (I bet any money that Renault Australia would not have a panel in Australia). That scrape looks easy peasie. $500 is my estimate.

Did some trawling and found the last time we spoke about this one.
I just went over and had a peek through the window and can confirm there isn't a second set of pedals in there at the moment.
And it's possibly not as dire as I thought regarding the lack of movement.
Might only have been since June last year that it hasn't been driven.

I recall it all now — thought you were going to buy it??!!

So, I’m guessing you didn’t do an inspection? (You have a PM [emoji6])
  • Like 1