Shifting out of first in a Megan 265 RS

PeteyPete

Hey all, 

So I've done it, bought 2013 Meg 265 and loving it. 

But I've got questions regarding shifting out of first (and second), hoping you guys can clarify.  

Here's what happens, when driving in first gear and when i engaging the clutch the car will shudder. I've mentioned this in my last post. But if i wait a little after releasing the throttle, then push in the clutch i dont get the shudder. So basically I cant push in the clutch straight away like did in xr5 i used to have, instead i have to wait between for half a second first before engaging the clutch. Is that usual for other drivers or is there something up on my end?

• Like 1

I’ve mostly gotten used to it now, but I recall when first driving a Megane it would be quite jerky if coming off the throttle and putting in the clutch quickly when going 1st to 2nd. I think I’ve unconsciously changed my technique a bit to come off the throttle quite gently when putting in the clutch, particularly when changing at low RPM. At higher RPM it seems smoother even when coming off throttle quickly. 

• Like 1

It’s not something I experience. Are you depressing the pedal too slowly?

On another note, I’m about to do a Roll Racing event and need to work out to start from 50km/h in 2nd or 1st? The extra gear change takes time and time off throttle but 50km/h in 2nd may not be ideal for torque. However, being in 2nd could help avoid excessive wheel spin.

Discuss...

Depends at which point you need to be doing 50km/h. If it is across the line, would it not be best to be accelerating in 1st changing into 2nd?

Depends at which point you need to be doing 50km/h. If it is across the line, would it not be best to be accelerating in 1st changing into 2nd?

One attempts to be doing 50km/h but some seem to be doing 10km/h faster/slower. You’re meant to be level when you cross the line.

I guess I need to work out what RPM I’m at for either gear at 50km/h. I’ve got about 100Nm more now at 3,000RPM so 2nd may work. I’ll probably end up trying both on the night.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DOOOOK said:

On another note, I’m about to do a Roll Racing event and need to work out to start from 50km/h in 2nd or 1st? The extra gear change takes time and time off throttle but 50km/h in 2nd may not be ideal for torque. However, being in 2nd could help avoid excessive wheel spin.

Discuss...

Second for sure! Yours might even be better off in third.

Let us know how you go.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 8:38 AM, aecollins1 said:

I’ve mostly gotten used to it now, but I recall when first driving a Megane it would be quite jerky if coming off the throttle and putting in the clutch quickly when going 1st to 2nd. I think I’ve unconsciously changed my technique a bit to come off the throttle quite gently when putting in the clutch, particularly when changing at low RPM. At higher RPM it seems smoother even when coming off throttle quickly. 

Hey, thanks for the reply, yeah i've been experimenting a little i think you're right, I get it less at high rpm for the lower gears, 1 & 2. I've also experienced less jerkiness when coming off slower as apposed to just coming off the throtle and waiting a sec before engaging clutch. 

At least, its not just my car... 

On 21/08/2019 at 10:11 AM, DOOOOK said:

Discuss...

Haha I love that you've just hijacked the post LOL. Have you consider break boosting from second??

Nah, I dont engage the clutch slowly. This was a major difference i notice while i still had my 07 xr5 Focus. I couldnt get the focus to act the same no matter what i did but with R.S. it apparently prefers the clutch at higher rev's. 

Let us know how you go with the race. 

2 hours ago, PeteyPete said:

Haha I love that you've just hijacked the post LOL. Have you consider break boosting from second??

Nah, I dont engage the clutch slowly. This was a major difference i notice while i still had my 07 xr5 Focus. I couldnt get the focus to act the same no matter what i did but with R.S. it apparently prefers the clutch at higher rev's. 

Let us know how you go with the race. 

I was hoping you wouldn't notice.

So your shudder might be from the previous owner not using a clutch properly or not bedding in a clutch in adequately. It shouldn't shudder.

So back to the hijack...going by some test runs, 2nd will be the go. 1st is too much wheel spin and 3rd has too much lag to overcome. Watching a few YouTube videos, most WRXs & EVOs change to 2nd prior to the green light whereas the bigger capacity and bigger HP cars go from 1st.

Now I need to think about tyre pressures and suspension settings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DOOOOK said:

So back to the hijack...going by some test runs, 2nd will be the go. 1st is too much wheel spin and 3rd has too much lag to overcome. Watching a few YouTube videos, most WRXs & EVOs change to 2nd prior to the green light whereas the bigger capacity and bigger HP cars go from 1st.

Definitely 2nd, as you say 1st will give wheel spin and it will be a very quick shift to 2nd.  If you think that the clutch can handle it, a bit of left foot braking and try to spool the turbo for better launch.  I am sure with the torque that your motor has it will go hard from 50 kph.😁

• Like 1