Melbournite saying hello

Belichten

Hey all,

I was pointed here by Andrew in Melbourne from the Renault Sport Australia FB group (He has a great little red Clio III 200) to do some research.

I currently have a Subaru Outback for the daily commute and a modified 2001 6sp manual E46 M3 for my weekender. Unfortunately with marriage on the horizon and working more hours than I’d like I am not driving the M3 nearly as much as it deserves. Rather than holding on and paying 2 lots of rego and insurance I’d rather sell and buy “one car to do it all” and upgrade the missus car.

I’ve always lusted after Renault Sport products and almost pulled the trigger on a 182 Clio Cup several years ago and this brings me to my point, I have narrowed my options down to either a Ph3 Megane 265 Cup or a Ph3 Clio 200 so will be doing some research and keeping an eye on the classified.

Previous cars owned:

mk1 Golf (Multiple)

mk3 Golf

mk3 Jetta,

mk4 Golf GTI

Pug 205 GTI

Nissan Stagea

Audi B7 A4

W124 Mercedes 260E.

Cheers, Cameron

dt45DHPx.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

Meg 3 and Clio 3 are very different. It depends on what you are after.

And yeah that was me :biggrin:

Hey mate!

Yeah can imagine they are, Meg 265 is very quick and almost puts the M3 to shame in terms of sheer acceleration however I love the direct feel of smaller lighter cars and feel the Clio would be more like that.

Problem is my commute is around 65klm return of highway driving, not sure if the Clio would get tiring. Do you daily yours?

Cheers for the response btw!

I find long drives are fine. I've got Recaro's and find them good on long drives.

Stop start traffic could get annoying. If it's a straight forward drive to work it'll be fine.

I daily mine but it's not far.

8 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

I find long drives are fine. I've got Recaro's and find them good on long drives.

Stop start traffic could get annoying. If it's a straight forward drive to work it'll be fine.

I daily mine but it's not far.

I'd absolutely love one with Recaros but don't know how the missus would react since she can't stand being in the M3 and that has a standard interior. 

The drive is mainly at speed with very little stop start so that part should be fine. 

One worry is the posts I've read about the boxes munching syncros, is there a permanent fix for this? 

I just bought my first Clio 3 after three Meganes in a row, the last two being an 8.08 and a Trophy R. I’m yet to pick up the Clio so I can’t comment on how it drives, but the Meganes are a fantastic car. They don’t feel overly large and are quite agile. Power is ample and with so much midrange torque you can float when you want or boot it and be as fast as anything else on the road.  With the adjustable throttle mapping you can range from 4WD sloppy to motorbike hair trigger - perfect for heel and toe.

The exhaust note is an acquired taste - I loved it but it’s not going to be as pure as the M3 or the Clio.

Theres a few good A&D’s available at the moment - have fun looking!

7 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

The fix for munching synchros is learning to drive a manual properly (now I'm going to get in trouble...:laugh:)

I think this qualifies as “hate speech” against Clio IV drivers... ;)

welcome, Cameron!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, speedfiend41 said:

I just bought my first Clio 3 after three Meganes in a row, the last two being an 8.08 and a Trophy R. I’m yet to pick up the Clio so I can’t comment on how it drives

Have you driven a Clio 3 before?

2 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

Have you driven a Clio 3 before?

Yep. In between the 8.08 and the Trophy R. To be brutally honest, I wasn’t overly enamoured by it - the seating position felt too high and although  it handled well, it didn’t feel as planted as the Meg. You might think I’m a bit nuts buying a car I’m not totally rapt with, but I’m willing to give it a go and I think after a bit of acclimatising I’ll enjoy it. 🤔😳🤞

Buying a car you don't particularly like?!  What could possibly go wrong? :laugh:

You need to find a tight twisty road where power becomes less relevant and handling is more important. Looking forward to your review (I think :wacko:)

9 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

Buying a car you don't particularly like?!  What could possibly go wrong? :laugh:

You need to find a tight twisty road where power becomes less relevant and handling is more important. Looking forward to your review (I think :wacko:)

Yeah should be interesting!

The seating position was the biggest issue for me. I grew up racing karts and I like being in the car. I’m hoping I get used to it or a lower sub frame might be on the cards.

Main reasons I went with the Clio over anything else twentyish and below (Fiesta, Golf, Polo, Giulietta etc) was for the looks and because it’s Renaultsport. They know their shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belichten said:

Hey mate!

Yeah can imagine they are, Meg 265 is very quick and almost puts the M3 to shame in terms of sheer acceleration however I love the direct feel of smaller lighter cars and feel the Clio would be more like that.

Problem is my commute is around 65klm return of highway driving, not sure if the Clio would get tiring. Do you daily yours?

Cheers for the response btw!

I have using my clio 3 as a daily for 3 years now and it is a lot of fun. BUT! It can be very tedious at times. I have days when I can't wait to get out of it due to the seats. They are cool and often good support but they can be annoying if you have big thighs like me. 

Put it this way, it's not a Jekyll and Hyde type of car. It's always a Mr Hyde. It always eggs you on to plant it.

I highly recommend you drive one. I'd offer to let you try mine but it's in repair for a damaged door, courtesy of Melbourne drivers...

I love my car but I also can't wait to get into something a little more plush lol. Eventually.

28 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

Getting in and out of the Recaro's can be an issue for some.

The fix for munching synchros is learning to drive a manual properly (now I'm going to get in trouble...:laugh:)

Have seen a lot of photos of damaged bolsters so I believe that haha.   

Worst case a box needed to be rebuilt, what sort of $$$ am I looking at? Has your clio been ok? 

22 minutes ago, speedfiend41 said:

I just bought my first Clio 3 after three Meganes in a row, the last two being an 8.08 and a Trophy R. I’m yet to pick up the Clio so I can’t comment on how it drives, but the Meganes are a fantastic car. They don’t feel overly large and are quite agile. Power is ample and with so much midrange torque you can float when you want or boot it and be as fast as anything else on the road.  With the adjustable throttle mapping you can range from 4WD sloppy to motorbike hair trigger - perfect for heel and toe.

The exhaust note is an acquired taste - I loved it but it’s not going to be as pure as the M3 or the Clio.

Theres a few good A&D’s available at the moment - have fun looking!

I found the power of the 265 to be pretty brisk but I think that I would quickly lose my licence. This is one of the issues with the M3, by the time you are getting anything out of it you are double the speed limit.

I didn't mind the exhaust note on the 265 (I only drove the Cup - no Akro) but it is definitely more vacuum than screamer. This is what I will miss most about the M3, nothing like WOT on a highly strung straight 6 with ITBs! Clio ph3 can sound pretty great though.

21 minutes ago, Deet said:

Dont overlook the ClioIV 

After a manual so they're out unfortunately. Have looked at a Fiesta ST but not a fan of the looks regardless of how capable they are. Shame the IV didn't come out with a manual.

20 minutes ago, hamstrung said:

I think this qualifies as “hate speech” against Clio IV drivers... ;)

welcome, Cameron!

Thanks for the welcome mate!

The Clio 3 requires a little thought when attacking some twisties since it lacks torque especially down low, it can't for example be punched out of a corner easily especially uphill! Keep it above 5k rpm however, hook it into some corners and wow! 

Cruising is completely fine in my opinion, even though I've got the hardcore engine mounts, Recaros and lowered springs. This is probably more of a personal thing though.

As for the synchros, in my case with 120K kms there is no crunching at all, seems luck of the draw with this. The fix for it is to have the steel synchro rings fitted but that is probably about a $3K job mostly because of labour costs.

I've never driven a Meg 3 (probably because I'll want one too much 😂) but I can honestly say that I prefer the Clio 3 to my old Focus ST for spirited driving.

Depends on what you like, some like NA screamers others like turbo torque, take your pick.

I've got 2 Clios, both low klm (under 40K) so I'm not the best to talk about synchros. I was chatting to my mechanic the other day and he reckons the synchros go because of driver abuse. IE trying to change gear too fast. Some cars have high klm with no issues. Others do. Since they are the same car, I'm inclined to agree. It's better to drive it more sympathetically.

23 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

I've got 2 Clios, both low klm (under 40K) so I'm not the best to talk about synchros. I was chatting to my mechanic the other day and he reckons the synchros go because of driver abuse. IE trying to change gear too fast. Some cars have high klm with no issues. Others do. Since they are the same car, I'm inclined to agree. It's better to drive it more sympathetically.

Are they the same gearbox as the Megane?

1 minute ago, chuckovski said:

All I know is that the Megane gearbox is out of the trafic or master van (can't remember which). I.e. good for copping lots of abuse.

In that case there is no way they are the same! 😂

Clio 3 box is a TL4 if that helps anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dn2blue said:

The Clio 3 requires a little thought when attacking some twisties since it lacks torque especially down low, it can't for example be punched out of a corner easily especially uphill! Keep it above 5k rpm however, hook it into some corners and wow! 

Cruising is completely fine in my opinion, even though I've got the hardcore engine mounts, Recaros and lowered springs. This is probably more of a personal thing though.

As for the synchros, in my case with 120K kms there is no crunching at all, seems luck of the draw with this. The fix for it is to have the steel synchro rings fitted but that is probably about a $3K job mostly because of labour costs.

I've never driven a Meg 3 (probably because I'll want one too much 😂) but I can honestly say that I prefer the Clio 3 to my old Focus ST for spirited driving.

Depends on what you like, some like NA screamers others like turbo torque, take your pick.

I'm pretty used to having SFA torque down low, looking forward to having the direct feel though so that'll make up for it.  Should be enough for overtaking on the highway I am assuming. 

The $3k repair sounds pretty nasty but if it's a one off it could be handled. The money I have thrown at the M3 is ridiculous ! Subframes, brakes, clutches, tyres (so many tyres) etc 

1 hour ago, apple3337 said:

Wow.. lucky bloke! Are they both 200 Cups? Have you had both since new?

15 minutes ago, apple3337 said:

Can confirm the gear boxes are completely different.

Guessing there is no way to fit a megane box to a Clio :( 

If you are going to bother getting the upgraded synchros then may as well splash for an LSD as well 😋

Overtaking is fine but just make sure to drop down a gear or two!

It would be interesting to see if the megane gearbox can be fitted, on the otherhand an R26 engine/gearbox combo is a direct fit 🤔

• Like 1

The toro red Clio in Queensland has had the timing belt and the third gear synchro done. I spoke with the owner a few weeks ago when it was at the workshop. Looks like a very nice Clio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belichten said:

Are they both 200 Cups? Have you had both since new?

All 200's are on the cup suspension.

Both bought used. The red one had 6000 klm on it. Paid about 25.5 K in 2014.

The white one had 25,000 klm in 2016. Paid 19K. Which means the asking prices have flat lined or nudged up a touch. Interesting.

Being self employed has it's advantages re tax.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Warhide said:

I have using my clio 3 as a daily for 3 years now and it is a lot of fun. BUT! It can be very tedious at times. I have days when I can't wait to get out of it due to the seats. They are cool and often good support but they can be annoying if you have big thighs like me. 

Put it this way, it's not a Jekyll and Hyde type of car. It's always a Mr Hyde. It always eggs you on to plant it.

I highly recommend you drive one. I'd offer to let you try mine but it's in repair for a damaged door, courtesy of Melbourne drivers...

I love my car but I also can't wait to get into something a little more plush lol. Eventually.

I have fat Italian legs so it’d be interesting to try out the recaros! Honestly that’s what I’m looking for, something that is always fun to drive but able to keep standard (let’s see how long that would last ....). Maybe by the time the M3 is sold you could be selling! 

6 hours ago, speedfiend41 said:

The toro red Clio in Queensland has had the timing belt and the third gear synchro done. I spoke with the owner a few weeks ago when it was at the workshop. Looks like a very nice Clio.

I hadn’t really looked at the A&D editions due to being scared about looking after that gorgeous paint but after reading a few threads it doesn’t seem too bad. I’d want to go down to 17” wheels however. Anyone know if the recaros being leather helps bolster wear?

5 hours ago, apple3337 said:

All 200's are on the cup suspension.

Both bought used. The red one had 6000 klm on it. Paid about 25.5 K in 2014.

The white one had 25,000 klm in 2016. Paid 19K. Which means the asking prices have flat lined or nudged up a touch. Interesting.

Being self employed has it's advantages re tax.

Wow! Brilliant that you got them with such low klms. The toro red is my fave colour and what I’d love to find. Hopefully once my cars are sold there’ll be some others on the market. There’s a private one in Vic on Carsales with some mods but not sure if I should stay clear ..

You can get in and out of the Recaro’s with ease once you’ve worked it out. My bolsters never wore. 

The leather is a lot harder wearing than the cloth. I had an R26 with fabric seats and in that car I found the fabric was easily stained - that’s why I like leather...

• Like 1