182 Clio Cup - Needs mods!

japarn

I'd be almost tempted to suggest none at all to maintain the value and use it as transport. A stock Clio II is becoming rarer and more desirable. Otherwise the first question is what are you planning to use it for?

• Like 5

Stock exhaust tends to fall off due to rust/weight. Aftermarket one is a good way to go.

ECU remapping  - (RS Tuner by Henk is a common one) is a good way to improve driveability more than anything. Smooths out the revs and brings a little bit more torque down in the rev range.

Induction Kits, mostly for noise more than any actual gains.

Suspension. Really good as standard when new. Eibach sportlines lowering springs are good way to get a small drop without compromising the ride (too much IMO).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, japarn said:

Hi

I just bought a 2005 Clio Cup. 100% stock!

What mods should I consider? It looks like the exhaust is on the way out, so could I start there?

Cheers

Jeremy 

The standard car is fantastic - the best things you can do are good tyres (Yokohama AD08R, Hankook RS3/4) and better brake fluid and pads (front and rear). Then when you have done that and you want to get the best out of the car - do an advanced driving course and learn how to drive it!!!

• Like 2

Hi,

Thank you for all of your input.

My car will be used for a daily driving to work (only a 4km trip!) and the odd spirited drive/track day.

I am inclined to agree with keeping it stock-ish given how well these cars were setup in the first the place and how rare unmolested examples are. As such I reckon the following things are on the table:
1. New exhaust - the stock exhaust is supposed to be so prone to rusting out that it is standard to swap these out, especially as you can get better sounds and a few more ponies!
2. Tune - A tune that gives better drivability down low would be good as I don't usually find myself revving past 4800 for the French VTEC to kick in (yo!)
3. Shock absorbers - Maybe replace the current shocks (122k km on the clock) as they are bound to be getting beyond their useby date (maybe even put OEM items in)

I'm inclined to leave these things alone:
1. Springs & ride height - I think the car is very well setup for driving around with the odd bit of sporty driving
2. Wheels - Yeah I know there are lighter versions out there, but I think that the OEM Cup wheels are an appealing part of the car
3. Cold air intake - Sounds better, but does this add power?

I know that there any number of other changes that can be made around the steering and suspension components as well as ITBs. Are any of these things worth knowing about?

Cheers,

Jeremy

3 hours ago, slick said:

The standard car is fantastic - the best things you can do are good tyres (Yokohama AD08R, Hankook RS3/4) and better brake fluid and pads (front and rear). Then when you have done that and you want to get the best out of the car - do an advanced driving course and learn how to drive it!!!

Thanks for this. Yes I have a driving course at Phillip island coming up in March! No point having a capable car but no driving capabilities.

1 hour ago, japarn said:

Hi,

Thank you for all of your input.

My car will be used for a daily driving to work (only a 4km trip!) and the odd spirited drive/track day.

I am inclined to agree with keeping it stock-ish given how well these cars were setup in the first the place and how rare unmolested examples are. As such I reckon the following things are on the table:
1. New exhaust - the stock exhaust is supposed to be so prone to rusting out that it is standard to swap these out, especially as you can get better sounds and a few more ponies!
2. Tune - A tune that gives better drivability down low would be good as I don't usually find myself revving past 4800 for the French VTEC to kick in (yo!)
3. Shock absorbers - Maybe replace the current shocks (122k km on the clock) as they are bound to be getting beyond their useby date (maybe even put OEM items in)

If you've ever driven a new 182 Cup you would realise how good these cars are. I still regret selling mine.

A new exhaust is worthwhile if the old one is rusty or falling apart, but be careful you don't get a droner. Many people complained of droning exhausts with the 182.

Tune for drivability? Forget it, the car is amazingly flexible with gobs of torque at low revs, you have 80% of the torque available from 2000 rpm.

Shocks, at least replace with OEM shocks and new bushes. Also look at your steering arm bushes, engine mounts etc as all wear out and new mounts make the car feel nice and tight.

A 4 km commute? Find a longer way home. Your engine is barely warm in 4 km

cheers, r

• Like 2

2 hours ago, japarn said:

Thanks for this. Yes I have a driving course at Phillip island coming up in March! No point having a capable car but no driving capabilities.

Phillip Island is VERY fast in anything, but especially a 182. Make sure you have plenty of brake pad material left, fresh brake fluid and sort out your tyre pressures.

14 hours ago, R182 said:

Depending on k's some things may just benefit from a refresh. Good tyres will make all the difference too. As above, it depends on what your purpose is.

You can say that again!