Potential Rs250 Cup Buyer - Needs Advice

tkb89

Hey all,

Just joined the forums a week or so ago and can see there are lots of knowledgeable people here. I have done a bit of searching around but can't seem to find specifics around my topic.

So my situation is: my heart is telling me to buy the Megane and not worry about the ongoing costs but my head is telling me to buy a Honda Accord Euro Luxury (or something like it). I know these two are not even close to comparable but the Accord Euro appeals to my sensible and sometimes frugal side whereas the Megane appeals to me in every other way.

So I just wanted to find out from some current owners what it is like to own one of these beasts as a daily driver, as I will likely be doing around 300km+ in this thing weekly. Is it feasible? Am I just going to wreck it? If you use one as your daily driver, what has your experience been like? Essentially I just want to gather as many people's thoughts as possible.

Please post away! Thanks in advance.

Trent

Edited by tkb89

Hi Trent,

Welcome to the forum.  Probably the wrong place to ask the question "should I but a Meg RS250 or some boring Honda?" - I think that's what you asked...   :D  but in all seriousness, plenty of the forum members use their Meg RS as a daily driver, and they are very robust cars.  300km per week might be a problem if you were talking about some fettled classic Ferrari or something, but the Meg will eat that easily. Unless your 300km are around Barbagallo or something, in which case brake pads and rotors will need to be inspected regularly, and fuel economy could be suspect...  :yes:  Everything else will probably still be fine...

They come with 5 year warranties now on the 265's (I know you are talking about a presumably slightly older - but not much - 250) but they will be comparable, as essentially the same cars.  Plus in Europe (and in Aus now) hire car companies are using them.  The only better endorsement of longevity would have be use as a cab.  Haven't seen that yet, but more to do with the two doors and compact size than the mechanical bits I would think.

As far as costs go, it is always good to ensure they are serviced by someone that knows Renaults.  I see you are located in Perth.  Not sure who the "gun" go to mechanic in Perth is for them, but lots of members in Perth so you will certainly find someone.  The dealers will always be a fallback, and even then probably not too much difference in the costs between a Meg and the Honda for services and parts I wouldn't think.

Be sure to get it inspected before you buy it to make sure it has been loved by the owner before you, and that will be a great start.

So in summary, I say go with your heart, as you will enjoy every moment behind the wheel of the Meg.  Can't promise the same from the other choice mentioned...  In fact, the Meg is much safer IMO, because chances of falling asleep behind the wheel due to boredom is approximately nil in the Meg RS.  At least a little higher in the Honda...  :mrgreen:

With apologies of course to Honda owners, as they are fine cars, but just not in the same excitement league, in my experience...

Good luck with your choice - hopefully we will read a report of your new RS car with photos in the future!!  :hyper:

Edited by No152
  • Like 2

Great write up and advice above.

What sort of driving do you enjoy?

Of course I would say test drive a Clio 3 too. Year from 2008 to 2012. The later year the better.

With the RS you will always look forward to driving it. With the Honda you never will....

This is a good example in your area. It's been for sale a while so you could crunch them on price:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2010/AGC-AD-18063725/?Cr=1

Test drive it in a twisty road, rev the nuts off it in the process = :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Hi Trent,

Welcome, good to have you along. Agree with the above.

I've had my Meg 265 for almost 2 years, done 6 track days and just turned over 50K km. Like you, my concern, for on going maintenance costs, has been and still is a focus in my thinking. Having said that, I believe expenses have been little different to what you would expect to pay on any other vehicle prudently maintained. If you are going second hand obviuosly a verifiable service record should be a key to your purchase decision.

The really good bit about buying an RS, Clio or Megane, is the driving. It is worth thinking about your driving attitude and experience. If you view it as just getting 'from point A to point B' go with the Honda. On the other hand if you're into the 'how' of doing that and finding the long and twisty roads to get there, you will not regret getting a Megane.

My experience is that I never tire of driving mine, I look forward to going out every time and it always makes me smile at it's competance (and my lack of it).

So, go with the heart and when you have yours you will understand what great cars they are. :)

Edited by cairnsy
  • Like 2

there's good advice above

if you value driving and fun , go the RS - the best hot hatches money can buy

if you want to go to and from work in a stupor , go the Accord. certainly not a bad car just not much fun.

running costs will be similar .. except you'll probably spend a little more money on the RS because you want to , not because you have to [ a burbly exhaust perhaps ? :] . they are very reliable these days .

ps - everyone here knows you pull chicks in a RS , not in a Japanese car - that may be the clincher not to referred to in above posts ;]

As above, shouldn't be anything to scare you away from the Megane in practical terms. Mine is over three years old now, with 44,000km on the clock. It has literally not missed a beat! I'm fastidious with maintenance, so my car has had many things done ahead of time, which I'm sure doesn't hurt... But even if the car has had all the routine servicing and been looked after well it should be fine. It's only people who've never owned a Renault that think they are unreliable or expensive...

The only real things I can see being more costly for the Megane are tyres. You are looking at $1000+ if you get decent ones, and because the car a) encourages you to drive like a loon, and b) makes a HEAP of grip, they do go through them quickly. Most people on here get between 20,000km and 25,000km per set with a mix of commute and enthusiastic driving.

Oh and don't fret about fuel consumption being excessive. If you drive it sensibly you'll see <9.0L/100km no worries. Mine is sitting on 8.1 from the last few tanks, and that's with remap, full exhaust etc.

make sure it has been loved by the owner before you, and that will be a great start.

^^ Don't underestimate this point. If you find a car that looks properly loved (no gutter rash, no scrapes on the front splitter, seat bolsters in good nick etc) pretty good odds that everything else about the car will be in equally good condition.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful replies. I'll try and respond to everyone's messages.

- No152 --> Yeh the km's will just be on the road and not around a track (for now, at least :sicko: ). I will defintiely be ensuring that whatever I purchase has been serviced regularly and that it continues to be. I have to agree with your argument about the Honda being boring, which is why I am leaning towards the Megane.

- apple3337 --> I have owned a Nissan 200SX in the past, so I can say that I definitely enjoy more 'spirited' driving. Currently I am stuck with a Toyota Yaris and the drives to work are less than inspiring. Haha. I did have a quick look at the Clio's and I have to say that I much prefer the look of the Megane.

- cairnsy --> Thanks for your feedback. Good to know that you have a similar mindset to me but have had a good experience with your Megane so far! I must admit when I think of owning the Megane and driving it, it already brings a smile to my face.

- rob 420 --> Haha! I'm married so no chance of pulling chicks but being able to outrun a Commondore will be fun. :o

I'll keep everyone posted on my purchase.

Trent

• Like 1

ps - everyone here knows you pull chicks in a RS

And sometimes the other way around too....  :mrgreen:    

You know - girls own them too...  :roll:  

• Like 1

French & Fantastic car club will have a few Megane III's at the Targa West display Sunday 16 August 9 am - 3 pm at the Supreme Court gardens, come down and talk to the owner's in person about the ownership experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's a daily drive. I've gone from buying with the brain in the past but this time went with my heart. No regrets. In fact every time I think of the alternatives (which included the accord euro) I am even happier. It's made me forget about things like costs - if it did cost more I haven't noticed. But if it did start to hurt I would eat 2min noodles for months if it meant keeping the car!

Haha thanks chuckovski! In a turn of events I am actually looking at Clio iii's at the moment as the market for RS250's here in WA is not very active. Currently looking at the 20th anniversary edition Clio iii's, there happens to be 2 of them for sale in WA! Will keep everyone posted.

• 4 weeks later...