Newbie As Newb Can Be.

jimnewin

Hi everyone!!

Very new to the car scene and having a look at buying my very first car and also learning to drive manual haha.

Looking at an 2012 Rs265 Cup or a Rs250 Trophee both around the 50000km mark.

These two grabbed my attention from the moment I started looking for a car.

Any ideas what to keep an eye out for when buying a second hand car and specifically for these ones.

Very keen to start getting into the community.

Hi Jim, welcome!

So you've been plotting around in an auto and are off your P plates?

A well documented service history is the most important thing to look for. Given you're after a 2012 model that should be no issue.

From my brief browsing through the Megane III threads the one occur is failed engine mounts. Don't think there's anything else but have a read through the tech threads and see what you find + the Meg III owners can chime in too.

Some reading on the engine mounts - http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/21368-250265-engine-mount-failure-thread/

Look through these threads for tech info and mods - http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/52-megane-iii/

Classifieds here - http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/46-cars/

There's a few nice Megane's for sale at the moment and if buying from a forum member you can go and browse their build thread to see the life of the car in their hands.

Hell of a first car!    One thing to consider if new to cars at all is parking sensors.  The visibility out of the Meg III is not great (can't look so cool and be totally practical now... :mrgreen: ) so until you get used to cars and parking, damage potential is higher in these than some other cars.  Not something you will want to do in your new RS I'm sure...

A few really good ones for sale by members on the forum that would possibly suit you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Enjoy...

Wise words. I bent my rear splitter on Day 1 while reversing into the carport... Wasn't used to the 'beeps' yet lol

Hell of a first car! One thing to consider if new to cars at all is parking sensors. The visibility out of the Meg III is not great (can't look so cool and be totally practical now... :mrgreen: ) so until you get used to cars and parking, damage potential is higher in these than some other cars. Not something you will want to do in your new RS I'm sure...

A few really good ones for sale by members on the forum that would possibly suit you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Enjoy...

+1 reverse sensors. It's so easy to miss something....(speaking from experience :oops: )

Just tell people that you are safety conscious  :wink:

Hahaha - it's about the only good thing to come out of the Nanny State mentality.  All this Newb-tech becomes main stream acceptable, so we no longer need to apologise for having it on board as it is expected!  Usually standard even on most of the cars I buy, you cannot get one without it...   :)  

I saw reversing sensors on a Smart Car the other day. One of those little half a car thingies... Smart For Two? Cannot imagine how you could reverse into something in one of them.  An object would be invading your personal space well before the car (little of it there is behind you in one of them) actually got close to something...

Go to insurance websites ang get some quotes. Comprehensive insurance for turbo cars can be very expensive if you haven't had long squeaky-clean driving history. Could be as high as $4000/year.

Consider also naturally aspirated cars like Clio 200s.

• Like 1

Go to insurance websites ang get some quotes. Comprehensive insurance for turbo cars can be very expensive if you haven't had long squeaky-clean driving history. Could be as high as $4000/year.

Consider also naturally aspirated cars like Clio 200s.

Good call.  Suggest Shannons on the insurance front...

+1 on the Clio tip :wink:. You gotta drive one on the right road though.

Try Coles insurance. Tip: get their quote, tell them it's way too high and ask them to ring back in half an hour.

I did this and it went from something like 800 to under 400!

Edit: another tip READ the policy schedule. I know it's a pain but read it!

Edited by apple3337
  • Like 1

+1 on the Clio tip :wink:. You gotta drive one on the right road though.

Try Coles insurance. Tip: get their quote, tell them it's way too high and ask them to ring back in half an hour.

I did this and it went from something like 800 to under 400!

Yeah....insurance is a pain for younger guys & turbos.   I got mine through Coles for $326 ($30,000) but i am above middle age....:)

Hi Jim, welcome!

So you've been plotting around in an auto and are off your P plates?

A well documented service history is the most important thing to look for. Given you're after a 2012 model that should be no issue.

From my brief browsing through the Megane III threads the one occur is failed engine mounts. Don't think there's anything else but have a read through the tech threads and see what you find + the Meg III owners can chime in too.

Some reading on the engine mounts - http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/21368-250265-engine-mount-failure-thread/

Look through these threads for tech info and mods - http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/52-megane-iii/

Classifieds here - http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/46-cars/

There's a few nice Megane's for sale at the moment and if buying from a forum member you can go and browse their build thread to see the life of the car in their hands.

Lost 3 points for driving my RS250 on P plates - Cop "nice car mate" Me "F#CK" 

Lost 3 points for driving my RS250 on P plates - Cop "nice car mate" Me "F#CK" 

Bugger...  It's a fine line between having the plates on and hoping the boys in blue don't know what you are driving (big if...) and leaving the plates off "inadvertently", removing the flag. - where did I put those plates again... ? Oh yes, they are still on the Nissan Micra.  Of course...  :roll:

If you are then pulled over, though, I am guessing it's an even harsher penalty...  :oops:

Do you have to drive at a maximum of 80km/hr as well?  That would really be annoying....

Edited by No152

Im with RACV on my insurance ive got a 2011 250cup and I pay $129 a month with a bingle at the start of the year that wasn't me fault with a different car and I also noted that my license was suspended for 6 months 2 years ago - RACV are pretty good to me

Bugger...  It's a fine line between having the plates on and hoping the boys in blue don't know what you are driving (big if...) and leaving the plates off "inadvertently", removing the flag. - where did I put those plates again... ? Oh yes, they are still on the Nissan Micra.  Of course...  :roll:

If you are then pulled over, though, I am guessing it's an even harsher penalty...  :oops:

Do you have to drive at a maximum of 80km/hr as well?  That would really be annoying....

Speed limits are the same for P platers in vic - pretty stupid and dangerous driving 80kmh on a freeway I think - If I didn't display me P plates they would have just driven by me but if I got caught with out P plates driving and p plate banned car its 6 points in total lol - loss of license - I spent my P plates driving my mk5 jetta tfsi dsg with an exemption anyway lol stage 2 bluefin tune, volant cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, forge twintercooler and most importantly 22psi of boost lol - so I didn't understand what the big deal was lol my jetta is way faster in a straight line then my rs250 anyway.

In Vic we have a power to weight ratio of 130kw per tonne for P platers and my RS250 was 131kw per tonne lol - unlucky but oh well

Can you get someone to dyno it at 129kW per tonne and get the same exemption....?

You will get a nice car with an RS200. No worries about P plates or reversing sensors because they are both good in that respect in my opinion.

In fact I reckon that if you loaded up a CLIO and a Megane side by side, you would fit more in a CLIO.  :)

A great car with equivalent satisfaction as a Megane.

• Like 1

You will get a nice car with an RS200. No worries about P plates or reversing sensors because they are both good in that respect in my opinion.

In fact I reckon that if you loaded up a CLIO and a Megane side by side, you would fit more in a CLIO. :)

A great car with equivalent satisfaction as a Megane.

I am on P plates and love my 200. Sure, it's not the fastest thing in a straight line, but on a twisty road with sticky tyres, not much under $100k will be faster.

Last weekend with all seats and a strut brace installed, I loaded 4 wheels and tyres into the back, a big toolbox, trolley jack, jack stands, compressor and 2 helmets no worries. I also filled up in Melbourne, drove to Phillip Island, did around 20-25 laps and then drove home on the same tank. Can't do all that in a Megane...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by alex_hazard
  • Like 3

Can you get someone to dyno it at 129kW per tonne and get the same exemption....?

at the time I said to the police officer I'm 100kgs add that to the cars weight and its no were near 130kw per tonne the cop laughed and said sorry but no expections can be made all of the and that the only follow the per to weight ratios list on the vicroads website

I spent my P plates driving my mk5 jetta tfsi dsg with an exemption anyway lol stage 2 bluefin tune, volant cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, forge twintercooler and most importantly 22psi of boost lol - so I didn't understand what the big deal was lol my jetta is way faster in a straight line then my rs250 anyway.

... and just as illegal

Vic Roads web site:

• has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle

probably a good thing you weren't stopped while you were driving the Jetta.

The only visual mod I had was the cold air intake which looked almost oem anyway the only fines I ever got where for a stick on number plate 3points, and red light fines 3points each :( never pushed my luck with speeding but copped it in other ways

The only visual mod I had was the cold air intake which looked almost oem anyway the only fines I ever got where for a stick on number plate 3points, and red light fines 3points each :( never pushed my luck with speeding but copped it in other ways

Plus it's a Jetta lol no one suspects a Jetta makes enough power to shame a VE SS lol