Reintroduction after 8 years

SLUGGO33X

Hi All,

Well after 8 long years i find myself back behind the wheel of a RS, this time in a FRB 182 Cup LE, picked up from a fellow enthusiast.

My original RS was a 172 purchased new in 2002. The ozrenaultsport forum wasn't up and running back then, so yahoo groups was our means of communication, then i joined this forum when it kicked off in 2004. I've been lurking ever since knowing i'd be back some day, although it took a little longer than expected.

Rather than posting pics of the new ride, i thought to post what i think was our first ever oz renaultsport drive day way back in 2003. Lets see how many old timers are still here and recognise their old rides.

Looking forward to re-equating with the RS family.

Pict7_zpse9f720db.jpg

Pict13_zps2780f20c.jpg

Pict11_zps3454094a.jpg

Picture014_zpsce9508e7.jpg

Congratulations on picking up this rare Racing Blue to get back in the RS fold. You obviously didn't muck around procuring this example. Enjoy owning it.

Going by what Darren posted with the corrected compliance date and the VIN, it's definitely an LE. As Renault has told you. It's a few cars earlier than my LE. So no numbered plaque on these. But some LE's got the front lower lip. Be interested to hear if Darren was offered one when he purchased the car new (from Col Crawford, I assume?).

Cheers Steve, i knew it wouldn't last, so had to move quick and Darren was a pleasure to deal with.

To be honest, i wasn't fully committed to purchasing a RS just quite yet, but as chance would have it, i saw Darren's for sale thread shortly after he posted it, begged and groveled to the boss for a couple of hours, inspected shortly after and drove her home tonight. I guess it was just meant to be.

So if it's an LE, does that mean it's only 1 of 15 in Aust in FRB, and the only difference to the F1 is the plaque?

Sluggo, if pressed you can tell the boss that you got a bargain. You were definitely at the head of the queue, for those who saw it posted in the for sale section.

Yes it should be one of 15, but the VIN numbers aren't necessarily sequential. So the only real difference between an F1 and LE should be the build dates (F1 on sale in Oz, before the LE's were built). The 30 F1 editions got the numbered plaque that was meant to be fitted on the interior light console (some have been fitted else where). Some LE's got the front lower lip splitter (mine did, but it was sold on the Gold Coast in Sept 06). Both got stripes and larger rear wing atop the hatch (apart from size, the easiest way to pick is the built-in brake light with the rounded ends).

If you intend reapplying stripes, the now 'correct look' rear hatch replacements should be available in Melbourne, if you ask nicely. There was 3 of us who kicked money in the bucket to get the 'correct look' artwork done. But I am still to procure a set.

No plans for stripes at this stage. First things first, she needs a full claybar, wax and seal, dings removed and wheels refurbished.

I've got the detailing covered, but any recommendations for dent removal and wheel restore in Sydney's northern beaches or surrounds would be much appreciated.

No more shopping centre carparks, she gets pampered from now on.

So glad it found itself another loving home within the community Sluggo :D

Welcome back and happy motoring.

One thing I did notice when comparing an F1 (#09) to later 182s was that the boot floor was welded over with another piece of metal where the 172's wheel well would have otherwise been! Not sure how many 182s would have been like that at the beginning, but I know that mine has a single sheet for the boot floor.

Congrats on the purchase, Sluggo. Many envious peeps around here.

Other side of town, but Francois at Dentbuster in Caringbah brought paintless dent removal to Oz in the 80's. He's the original and the best. He also races RS's - having driven Richard Gartner's Clio 197 and now partnering with Mark Eddy in the Megane RS for the AMC. He did the work on my track 172 and it looks fantastic as a result. I suggest you give him a call.

Other side of town, but Francois at Dentbuster in Caringbah brought paintless dent removal to Oz in the 80's. He's the original and the best. He also races RS's - having driven Richard Gartner's Clio 197 and now partnering with Mark Eddy in the Megane RS for the AMC. He did the work on my track 172 and it looks fantastic as a result. I suggest you give him a call.

Cheers Moosey, will give Francois a call. The dings are only minor so should come out fairly easily. Any idea on how they charge? Per ding, per hour? Send me a pm if you prefer.

Welcome back and congrats on the new ride!

I was on that drive day and remember it fondly. It's nice to see some pics of my old flame red 172 before I defaced it with 17s :lol:

Hi Deb, i certainly remember yourself, Dom, and David. I think we had a special guest from the UK, but his name escapes me.

I recognise Nate's car, and Nate's back in the Renault F1 shirt :D

Back in those days we had Andrew in the MX5 and the other guy in the IS200 (can't seem to recall his name) on a lot of our drives, though perhaps not that particular one.

Hopefully we will meet again at a drive in the new year (I'll be moving back to Sydney in December).

I have a mate in Brookvale who's a painter who may be able to help with the wheels.

Welcome back too BTW, I was around in the Yahoo days too, I think the drive day thing must have started after I sold 28.....

Cheers Matt, do you have his details?

Sluggo I had cause to call Renault yesterday regarding my own LE. While on the phone I asked Vicki when did my car arrive in Australia. Her response "Bonded August 05." So given our cars are only a few apart I'm convinced yours is an LE and quite probably bonded at the same time.

Compliance on the other hand is different, yours is Oct 05 and mine is Dec 05. But that will more than likely be accounted for by the despatch date to the appropriate dealer.

Cheers Moosey, will give Francois a call. The dings are only minor so should come out fairly easily. Any idea on how they charge? Per ding, per hour? Send me a pm if you prefer.

He charges per job after looking at the car.