First French car!

Iaink

Just had my RS265 Cup a week, upgrading from a Veloster Turbo. Boy big difference between 150kw and 195Kw. Just learning to drive manual again after so many years of automatic driving. I want to keep the 18" wheel size for ride quality, but change the wheels to personalize the look. Has anybody done that?

I want to keep the 18" wheel size for ride quality, but change the wheels to personalize the look. Has anybody done that?
Yes. Have a look around the forums and you'll find some info :wink:

Width is easy - 8 or 8.5".

PCD is easy - 5x114.3

Offset - not so much. Factory offset is +65. Not recommended to go below +50.

Veloster turbo comes in auto? I thought they were H pattern only. The only thing I like about that car is the matte paint. The standard Veloster is vile and feels just like an i30 to drive. The Turbo couldn't have been much of an improvement.

Veloster turbo comes in auto? I thought they were H pattern only. The only thing I like about that car is the matte paint. The standard Veloster is vile and feels just like an i30 to drive. The Turbo couldn't have been much of an improvement.

original veloster had about 110kw if that. Turbo brought it up around the 150kw. Big difference I reckon! although I never got to test the turbo version..

Congratulations again mate

original veloster had about 110kw if that. Turbo brought it up around the 150kw. Big difference I reckon! although I never got to test the turbo version..

Congratulations again mate

The engine wasn't its only issue. The gearbox and chassis were porridge on wheels.

The turbo will sell well thought because features + turbo = easy sales. Dynamics don't rate much in the mainstream market.

Welcome Iaink.

Glad you've upgraded to a real driver's car and flicked the Veloster :wink:

There are a multitude of threads on Megane wheels here, just have a search in the Megane 3 section.

Take it easy and enjoy the Megane's amazing abilities 8)

Iain,

My 2 cents. I am still in the throes of getting my first Renault but have admired them from a distance for a long, long time. And, from what I can gather, the guys at RenaultSport favour, above all else, the harmony of chassis / engine / suspension, to create gold standard dynamics. Other cars might have better straight line speed, or prettier stickers on the dashboard, but I challenge you to find a car as poised as your RS265 under $125k. Maybe the new Boxster S.

So, what's my point?

When you change wheels, you change dynamics. When you alter dynamics, you change - in particular - cornering ability. Wheels that look good do not necessarily harmonize with the car's engineering. And, the best thing about driving a RenaultSport vehicle, be it a Clio 197, 200, RS225, RS250, RS265, whatever, is redefining the laws of physics.

Yeah, new wheels might look great. But wouldn't you rather feel that magic LSD let you rip around a corner 20km/h faster than any other "performance" car, giving the apex a proper spank on the way through?

Of course, you might make a perfect choice and I am just rambling. But any RS comes well balanced off the ship. Why not leave the unrequired bling to 22 year olds in second-hand rice rockets?

Just saying.

Cheers,

Prav

^ if he gets OZ Racing rims, he'll be right.

Welcome, glad to have you here on OZRS. I'm sure you will be won over.

Iain,

My 2 cents. I am still in the throes of getting my first Renault but have admired them from a distance for a long, long time. And, from what I can gather, the guys at RenaultSport favour, above all else, the harmony of chassis / engine / suspension, to create gold standard dynamics. Other cars might have better straight line speed, or prettier stickers on the dashboard, but I challenge you to find a car as poised as your RS265 under $125k. Maybe the new Boxster S.

So, what's my point?

When you change wheels, you change dynamics. When you alter dynamics, you change - in particular - cornering ability. Wheels that look good do not necessarily harmonize with the car's engineering. And, the best thing about driving a RenaultSport vehicle, be it a Clio 197, 200, RS225, RS250, RS265, whatever, is redefining the laws of physics.

Yeah, new wheels might look great. But wouldn't you rather feel that magic LSD let you rip around a corner 20km/h faster than any other "performance" car, giving the apex a proper spank on the way through?

Of course, you might make a perfect choice and I am just rambling. But any RS comes well balanced off the ship. Why not leave the unrequired bling to 22 year olds in second-hand rice rockets?

Just saying.

Cheers,

Prav

Well said, and I totally agree, hence why both my Megane's, road and race run OEM offset wheels, RS spent a considerable amount of time getting it just so, if its one thing I have learnt playing around with things over the years is that even a small change in setting here and there can completely throw things out of whack and put unnecessary strain in other components ruining both harmony and durability.

Also, I like the bit when you spoke of Apex being spanked.

So you're saying that heavy OEM wheels provide better balance than light weight Rays/OZ/BBS/Enkei etc wheels?

RS cars are good, but not perfect. They have flaws and can always be improved upon. Unsprung weight is the devil and assuming the wheels aren't a poor fitment they will always improve the car.

I think what everyone is alluding to is "don't go and put a set of 20inch Tempe Chromies on it". As a) they'll be ugly and we'll disown you, and b) they will screw the balance for sure.

A set of light, quality wheels in the right size and offset will be beneficial. Given that Iain has come to us from a Velobster it's clear he needs a little guidance :wink::lol:

Just had my RS265 Cup a week, upgrading from a Veloster Turbo. Boy big difference between 150kw and 195Kw. Just learning to drive manual again after so many years of automatic driving. I want to keep the 18" wheel size for ride quality, but change the wheels to personalize the look. Has anybody done that?

Hi & welcome Ian.

Congrats on the purchase & be sure to post up a pic or 2 when you get a chance.

Only thing i will add re the wheels is be sure to keep the OEM ones tucked away safely for when the time comes to sell the 265 as most buyers will want genuine not aftermarket.

Welcome!

There's this one guy in a velostar turbo that always tries giving me a go on the way home from work. I always let him speed off into the distance and just shake my head. I hope this isn't you?

Ps Buy some OZ's!!!