Soon to be owner of Clio RS A&D

robjd

Hi Folks,

I've stalked this forum for what seems like years, since the 'old' Megane came out in Cup form... was so sure id pick one up when i had the time... especially when i saw the R26 and other editions come out that got more and more focused... the time comes around and i took both the RS265 and the RS200 for a drive and surprisingly i enjoyed myself a lot more in the Clio! I've had turbo cars before, i loved/hated the huge lag then huge power that came with my Nissan RB20 GTS-T, but since driving around my mates AW11 and a s/c'd MX5 NB i knew i had to get a quick, small car.

I've been stuck in a Ford Focus 03 shopping trolly for too long!!

The winner for me was the responsiveness of the NA engine, its willingness to get going, the way it just loves to rev higher. I went for the A&D model over the standard one because after taking it for a few drives i just had to get into one as soon as possible. I was pleased to find that the A&D came with a few extra features that make it still feel like a modern, competitive hatchback.

I'm located in Perth WA, and i've seen there are a few other people on this board from this area, it would be good to catch up and chat about the machines we own, and where you like to drive them locally. Hopefully without someone in a '99 WRX butting in.

I should be picking up the Clio today!

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob & welcome.

IMO the A&D is arguably the best 200 ever made, certainly as far as factory fitted gear it is, ie. black roof & trim, 18's, full leather Recaro int, projectors, rs monitor, etc.

Did you go for the grey (awesome colour) or the red.

Anyway great choice mate & i'm sure you will love it.

Be sure to post up some pics when you can drag yourself out of the drivers seat.

Welcome rob, did you get grey or red???

I got the Grey

Hi Rob & welcome to a great community.

IMO the A&D is arguably the best 200 ever made, certainly as far as factory fitted gear it is, ie. black roof & trim, 18's, full leather Recaro int, projectors, rs monitor, etc.

Did you go for the grey (awesome colour) or the red.

Anyway great choice mate & i'm sure you will love it.

Be sure to post up some pics when you can drag yourself out of the drivers seat.

Yeah i was very impressed. I nearly went for the RS265 just because the interior was a nicer place to sit and chill. As it is the A&D checked all the boxes gear wise and sealed the deal for me!

Pics will definitely come soon - maybe when its not so overcast!

Cheers,

Rob

Great news for us Clio Lovers!

I do hope you enjoy the car and all it has to offer in a great package.

A belated welcome btw. lol

I like the Clio's but I'm one of the Meg boys. What is the secret we are missing out on? Last I checked, we hold the fastest FWD nurburgring time :lol::P

Nice car mate :)

Youre missing out on driving purity. From a hot hatch standpoint, the Clio 200 does it best IMO. Razor sharp handling, can be chucked around like nothing else, and will always leave a massive smile across your face even pottering around the suburbs.

What is the secret we are missing out on? Last I checked, we hold the fastest FWD nurburgring time :lol::P

I think you've answered your own question there. While the Megane is the hard-hitting, Nurburgring record setting machine, the Clio doesn't shine on the spec sheet but it has fun hard-coded into its DNA.

The heavier Megane, regardless of being faster and more powerful, can't quite match the fun factor.

Not meaning to start a war, just stating my opinion here.

I must fess up to starting this jovial impasse.

I have driven both and find the two cars, even though both hot hatches, are designed with two different customers in mind. As can be seen by the Clio fans, they are a blunt driving instrument with enormous handling and response even in slow speed situations whereas the Megs are nice in that situation, they really shine when the boot is pushed in hard for speed sensation and off the line acceleration. The long fast sections of the RIng.. create a sense of achievement for the Megane but in sharp handling circumstances more akin to mountain roads, the Clio shines above all.

( IMO )

+1

What Busgo said!

My experience when I drove the Clio was a stupid smile and I must have this car sensation. The Megane yes magnificent but didn't quite do it for me.

But yes the RSM is quick and fun at very high speeds, but not as much fun as the RSC at lower speeds and not as agile.

Sorry for the topic hijack.

I test drove both too. Personal preference I guess.

Just to clarify though, I can see how you might think those things about the Megane from a simple test drive, but ownership reveals a different beast. I've driven fast, small cars that are built to handle and my Mitsubishi Colt actually used to lap faster than my mates Clio (albeit a 172 or 182 - can't remember), but the Megane has simply amazed me by how agile it is. There are tight low speed corners (e.g. roundabouts) that I've left the boot in and the Meg just goes where I tell it with little fuss.

Anyway, we're all here because we love RS in general :)

An example of why i went for the RSC: last night my right side ear popped when i went around a left handed corner, and i am a seasoned flyer who -never- even feels that stuff anymore on planes.

I had something similar in an 86. Switched the wheels with my Advan RS2s with AD08s. That car is a different beast with decent rubber. I wouldn't say it was fun as such, but was really impressive with the levels of grip.

• 1 month later...