hello! - from a VW gti owner/potential RS buyer

daniel7y

Hi guys

I'm the proud owner of a 2007 Golf GTI... I love the car, and it's a very nice looking GTI with some of the mods, but I'm having thoughts about selling it for a RS Clio 200. I'm just doing a bit of research online and come across this forum, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

If I were to sell my GTI it would only be for a change, because as I said love the car, and it's the exact spec that I like... But the Clio is looking very good! If I could afford a Megane RS250 I'd replace the GTI in a heartbeat, but it would have to be the Clio as thats all I could afford at the moment! Only concerns for me are the interior quality and resale value... Not sure Renault interiors in general are as refined as VW?

Would be good to hear some of your opinions!

Daniel

Here is my car for those interested:

img0254bq.jpg

Evo magazine in issue 168 (should still be in news agents) has a Clio 200 vs Golf GTi Edition 35 track battle article where they are well matched.

Check out the video on YouTube of the Clio 200 vs Focus RS too.

The 200's a brilliant little thing.

Thanks Ben, the previous owner had the rear bumper colour coded, but ran out of money to do the side skirts and front lip... I was planning to get these done myself when I get the time. I live in Oakleigh at the moment.

I haven't got to test drive a RS200 yet, would probably be the best thing to give me more of an idea. I've just read a whole lot of rave reviews.

Welcome Daniel!

As a proud 200 owner I may sound biased here but after a test drive in the Clio, I didn't even bother checking out the GTI and XR5. Yes, the cabin isn't finished to VAG standards, however, it's hard to notice with a huge grin that the car puts on my face.

I would strongly suggest driving the Clio to see if it suits you.

Thanks Ben, the previous owner had the rear bumper colour coded, but ran out of money to do the side skirts and front lip... I was planning to get these done myself when I get the time. I live in Oakleigh at the moment.

Perhaps seen you around the Glen or Princes hwy then...

Perhaps seen you around the Glen or Princes hwy then...

Ah right yeah you probably have. Shame I haven't seen you around haha... I haven't seen any RS250's on the road yet.

Hi & welcome Daniel, iv come from a golf v GTI to a Clio 200 also, interior quality is certainly nothing like the Vw, Rs is much more involving to drive though. If like me you have been living with a dsg, you may also remember the joy of a great manual shifter. In short GTI is great in most situations, but I didn't find it brilliant at anything, Clio 200 is fantastic when it matters most . Hope that's of help, be great to hear your thoughts

Steve

^ and its a great one .

welcome daniel , hope your test of the Clio 200 results in getting one and joining in here .

Welcome. I had a MkIV R32 and after that I drove my old man's 07 GTI for about 9 weeks and felt absolutely nothing for it. He's got a MkVI now which is a much better car but still leaves me cold (DSG especially).

I took a 200 for a test drive, loved it and then jumped on the 20th AE the moment it was announced and haven't looked back.

The R32 had character and presence and that awesome exhaust sound. But you need to spend a fortune in mods to get it there.

The 200 has character, handling, a very good sound and general NA engined awesomeness combined with a proper manual gearbox all stock from the factory. That said, I've spent a few dollars getting some euro spec parts but I'm a bit OCD about things.

Anyway take one for a spin see what you think.

Cheers,

Trent

Think Trent said it best, and from someone who's well and truly been there.

Used to like the GTi's ...but just too many of them around now, so doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Love your driving? go the RS.

Cheers,

WOLF