Visitor from fordxr4.com

will85

Welcome Will! Tell us a bit more about your Fiesta - there are a few ex-Fiesta owners on here.

What is it about the 225 that is tempting you? :wink:

Welcome! I used to own an XR4 myself. Had it for 3 years, was a member of FordXR4.com and attended a couple of cruises. My username was Red_XR4 (oh so original, I know). I can personally vouch for the brilliance of the XR4.

Then I saw an RS250 at the motor show, bought it and, well, the rest is history :)

Welcome! I used to own an XR4 myself. Had it for 3 years, was a member of FordXR4.com and attended a couple of cruises. My username was Red_XR4 (oh so original, I know). I can personally vouch for the brilliance of the XR4.

Then I saw an RS250 at the motor show, bought it and, well, the rest is history :)

haha, i remember reading some of your posts. i too have a red xr4 :P. Here's a few pics

185795_10150426874050534_606965533_17646697_6676958_n.jpg?dl=1

844_24_09_10_11_58_23.JPG

225536_10150625836075534_606965533_18970926_7756442_n.jpg?dl=1

191231_10150448825765534_606965533_17902465_2847800_o.jpg

This last pic is from the dyno day that moosey organised in conjuction with you guys, but only one Clio turned up

My xr4 is lightly modded. It's currently running AP coilovers, custom flex pipe and rear muffler from Hi-tech mufflers, Mountune intake, Ferodo DS2500 pads, vibratechnics solid engine mount, and a powersteering fluid cooler. It's my first car and i've basically modded it for track days whilst keeping it livable day to day.

Unfortunately I had a small accident in my xr4 last week resulting in front left suspension damage when a Hyundai Getz hit me on the front left wheel....not sure if it will be repaired or written off by the insurance company, hence why I'm considering what to do if i get paid out.

The megane 225 seems like a great used car buy! Handles and stops brilliantly. Lots of grunt with potential for more with mods. And as much as i like the responsiveness of a naturally aspirated engine, I've been craving more power that comes with boost. I've also driven the xr5turbo and i love the sound and power, but the handling isn't as sharp as i would like.

Nice. Brings back many fond memories. Did you buy it stripeless or remove them afterwards? Sorry to hear about your incident with the Getz.

How long until you find out if it's repairable? I work in insurance; depending on who you're with, it should be assessed pretty quickly. If it is a total loss and you get a cash settlement, I would defintely recommend looking into an RS vehicle. I feared the XR4's brilliant handling would be hard to beat, but RS vehicles just take things to another level altogether. The Meg 225 is a gem, of course, but have a look at a Clio 197 or 200 (if you stretch the finances). There are so many bargains to be had.

i bought it with stripes but i couldn't stand how boy-racer it looked, so i removed them within a month. I had bogans in commodores cut me off in traffic, etc. Also debadged the rear for a more stealthy look.

The clio is definitely one of my favourite RS's but I feel like a change and getting something boosted. More power is something i long for in my xr4

I'm insured with Just Car insurance. I called them up today and they said they had 2 repairers come to the assessment centre to look at the car and they're waiting them to report back with a quote. Repairs might take a while though, because they will have to source a new pair of coilovers from Europe. I had my mods listed on my policy so they're obligated to replace those if damaged, right?

haha yeah. We had a great discussion over the necessity rear sway bars over on the xr4 forum..(so geeky).

Also had great fun performing the words fastest cold air intake installation on moosey's old xr4 in under 5 minutes and had an awesome time chasing him through wisemans ferry on my first cruise. I could hardly keep up

Hey will, why am I not surprised to see you on here? hehe.

If all goes well I'll be the new owner of a Megane RS 225

Looking forward to learning more about the Renault Sport experience from you guys.

haha, you got me hooked on the renault sport bug

G'day Will,

Brings back memories for me too. I bought a red Fiesta Zetec when I was 19 before the XR4 came out. Im my case, I actually PUT stripes on it! (the XR4 hadn't even been thought of in Oz back then though!!) I also fitted some 17" 5 spoke ROH Strada rims. It was a hot looking car, so zippy, and handled like nothing else.

Twas a fun car to drive!

Dan.

I must admit the stripes makes the fiesta look very distinctive and gives it character. It was more a personal preference that i removed the stripes. Alot of people over on the xr4 forum are in love with their stripes :P

Good news/bad news (depending on which way you see it). My xr4 will be repaired, which means i won't be getting a megane 225 just yet. I'll still be lurking around this forum and may join in some of your cruises since my good friend (chris86) just bought a megane 225 :)

If you're happy, we're happy. :)

Stripes are a matter of discussion in Renault circles too, with them appearing on Gordini models in the 60s and reappearing in the mid 00's.

I must admit the stripes makes the fiesta look very distinctive and gives it character. It was more a personal preference that i removed the stripes. Alot of people over on the xr4 forum are in love with their stripes :P

Good news/bad news (depending on which way you see it). My xr4 will be repaired, which means i won't be getting a megane 225 just yet. I'll still be lurking around this forum and may join in some of your cruises since my good friend (chris86) just bought a megane 225 :)

Bud, that's all good news. Meganes a plenty when the day comes.

All the best, and by all means, stick around.

Cheers,

WOLF

So I finally got my Megane RS 225! :D

Just a little bit about me:

I own a Nissan Silvia S15 and have done plenty of mods on it. It is a very special car to me as I've learned so much about all aspects of cars in it. Unfortunately S15 Silvias cop a lot of unwanted attention (thieves and police) so it doesn't make a sensible choice for a daily commuter car. Its more of a street driven weekend track and drift car.

After many track and drift days I had become fairly competent with FR layout cars and the way they drive. Although when I had a chance to drive Will85's Fiesta XR4 at the track I realised I drove it like a FR layout car :lol: I needed to learn to drive all over again in FF.

So I needed a fairly inconspicuous FF layout car that was reasonably priced to buy and run, adequate power, practical and fun to drive......and I ended up with a Megane RS 225!

DSC_6841_1.jpg

DSC_6842_2.jpg

DSC_6851_3.jpg

Car is bog standard with an aftermarket stereo and some rear speakers in the parcel shelf. Previous owner was terrible at parking, all 5 wheels are rashed and at this stage I'm undecided on whether I should get them all repaired or just leave it be. The handbrake is in need of some repair work so I'm currently looking for a used handbrake lever to fix the darned thing. I can operate the somewhat faulty handbrake alright, but others might not be so fortunate :wink:

First impressions:

The engine power delivery feels just like the S15 when it was bog standard. Very smooth with minimal lag, runs out of puff after 5500rpm. Cornering hard was weird at first as I am not used to the steering wheel wriggling in my hands whilst putting the power down but I'm quickly getting used to it. Its a nice change to feel like I'm not on the edge of death when cornering hard :lol: I'm looking forward to improving my driving technique in the Megane although I'm finding heel and toe is going to take a lot of practice with the drive-by-wire throttle.

I'm also thoroughly enjoying the sheer amount of standard equipment the car comes with. There aren't many cars out there that offer so much for the price :D

Very well done Chris...looks sweet.

Btw, feel free to start a new thread of your very own... have more members pop in and say howdy that way.

Look after you new ride, service well, and enjoy.

Cheers,

WOLF

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Will, great to see you on ozRS!

Sorry to hear about the accident but it sounds like it'll all be fine once repaired.

Pretty strong Fast Renault/Fast Ford owner crossover I reckon. Best hot hatches on the market from these two companies :headbang:

Best hot hatches on the market from these two companies :headbang:

moosey is biased as he has both but you know what - he's right ! :nod:

welcome :!:

• 2 weeks later...

Best hot hatches on the market from these two companies :headbang:

moosey is biased as he has both but you know what - he's right ! :nod:

welcome :!:

had Rob. The XR4 is sold. Strictly RS only these days. Would love a Focus RS Mk1 though :hail: